Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-11-2008, 12:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/166/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Confused!

I just joined a gym where you work out in small groups of 1-4 women with a personal trainer. It's pretty sweet--having a trainer there makes me work a lot harder. More importantly, I joined because you have a set appointment time, and right now that's the only thing that is making me go in! However, I just had a meeting with one of the trainers about my diet and he wants me to go on something really strict and miserable sounding. I wouldn't be "allowed" to eat apples. He wants me to lose 20 pounds in 16 weeks. I was thinking of losing something between 10-15 pounds. But now I'm feeling like "I'm not working hard enough" by not watching what I eat so intensely, and I feel *guilty* for the apple I'm about to eat! I don't want to feel guilty about *any* food, but I'm worried I'm going to be disappointed over the next few weeks if I "only" lose 5-10 pounds. I've been cutting back on certain things, but I haven't totally eliminated them.

So my question to you guys: Do I go crazy for the next 16 weeks? Do I stay the course and focus my workouts on getting stronger and healthier, and not necessarily skinnier?

I'm just confused...I need your collective wisdom!
LittleElectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #2  

Hi LittleElectron,

A couple of things jump out at me from your post. First, you sound as if you don't really want to follow the plan he suggested. Second, it sounds like he didn't take your goals into consideration as much as he should have. If it looks nutritionally sound then it's probably fine, but, if you don't feel the need to be in such a hurry to loose (good for you!) then maybe you should ask him to alter it a bit so you don't feel as restricted. If you aren't in a hurry to loose the weight then he should ease up. He's probably used to people wanting to see immediate results and weight loss.
I think if you attempt the "diet" as he presented it, you may not be as successful as you would if he were to tailor it more to YOUR goals. Make sense? JMO...

It sounds like an awsome place though!
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think it's easy in a job like personal trainer to lose perspective. I think you're original goals are great. You don't want your diet during weight loss to be too horribly different from what you plan to eat for the rest of your life, otherwise you are setting yourself up to gain it all back. A good trainer should push you a little, but should definitely be helping you reach your goals, not his.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

That's one of the reasons that it's harder when you're training in a group of women, rather than individually. The trainer can't really personalize the plan *just* for you. FWIW, 20 lbs in 16 weeks isn't hugely unreasonable (it's 1.25 lbs a week) and shouldn't require you to "go crazy" if you're also working out.

OTOH, if it's stressing you out, talk to the trainer about it. Let him know that you need something less stringent in order to maintain your motivation.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote