General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #1  

Smile Do you make your own clothes?

I'm just curious how many of us sew for ourselves? I haven't made anything for myself for years but I'm getting that sewing and knitting feeling.

How do you fit the patterns for yourself? Have you found any pattern companies, either for knitting or sewing, that seem to have easy patterns for fuller figure women? Do you even use patterns? Do you think this is a money saver or do you just do it for the love of making something original?

Personally, I'm not looking forward to getting out the tape measure and seeing where I stand in the inches department. I'm also concerned I'll make something I will really like and when I finally get my weight down it will be too big for me.
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #2  

I make clothes for my kids (mostly halloween costumes and a few shirts/shorts). I mostly use patterns and then alter to their size while cutting/pinning the material together. I haven't made myself an outfit since I was probably 17. I've found it easier/cheaper to just buy stuff that "kind of fits" and then altering it. I just don't have the time anymore to sew like I would like to. I'm a big quilt maker lately -- less aggravating than trying to make a pattern work
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #3  

Go, Shelby. Are you really trying to convince me that making a quilt is not pattern work? Just getting the blocks the same size is a big accomplishment. Quilting is work.

I'm going to make a quilted purse or carrier bag for myself. I find that the big bag I haul to work so I can now bring my lunch is too much when I just want to step out. I like the idea of a quilted bag so I can roll it up and store it in the big bag. It would be lighter than a standard purse as well.
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #4  

You obviously haven't learned the fine art of quilting My mom lives 3 1/2 hours away and is an amazing seamstress (she made my sister's wedding dress, my vail, flower girls dress, etc.) -- when the kids and I visit -- I bring my material with me so she and I can sit down and chat while cutting out squares (she is a much faster cutter than I am)
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:17 AM   #5  
Operator265

I like quilting. I've been thinking about trying to pick out something to work on at work if I can keep it from getting dirty. Also, gotta be sure the guys don't bust me. The teasing would be merciless.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I can sew. I have sewn. Think about it once in a while.

I hate to have the same scrubs as everyone else. I think about trying those some times.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I sew some, and crochet, and am trying to learn to knit. I made several denim skirts last summer (as cool as shorts, but long enough to cover the dreaded back of the knee fat).

There's this program called knitware that I love. It generates knit, crochet, or machine knit patters for sweaters, skirts, and shawls (if you google knitware, you'll find the website). The free downloads (or you can order a CD if you don't do downloads) allow you to make sweaters, shawls, skirts, and dresses for babies, children, men, women (and even stuffed animals and dogs). For custom sizing and othr functions you have to buy the full price version. So far, I've only used the free version, and I love it.

I wear a 4X/5X, and was able to generate sweater patterns for myself. I pick the neckline, sleeve shape and length, hem length, cardigan or pullover, and enter my gauge info and it generates a pattern. I've made one sweater for myself, so far and I love it.

My computer crashed (I'm using a defective computer my hubby's friend loaned us - it works for word processing and net surfing, but if I shut down the computer, I lose everything on it). My computer is on the floor, and maybe after payday we can try to get it repaired. I can't do downloads on this computer, so I'm really bummed that I can't generate any more patterns, or access the ones I made and saved in word documents, as their on my hard drive. Still, a defective computer is better than none at all.

Another neat thing about knitware is that on its website it links to a yahoo group you can join (I think it's just called knitware users) and the creator of the program is or was the moderator (I think she handed it off to someone else). You don't have to buy the full version to be a member of the group (in fact most have only the free version), and you can chat with others who have worked with the program. It's a lot of fun.

Plus-sized knit and crochet patterns are hard to find. I bought the plus-sized crochet book, and it's nice but I really only like a few patterns, and they don't reach my size. I'm new at altering an existing pattern, which is why I joined several plus-size knit and crochet groups. There are alot of more experienced needleworkers who share helpful tips. Until about 2 years ago, I had never made a singled crocheted garment (only scarves, hats, and afghans). Since joining the groups, I've made two ponchos, one hideous coat, and four sweaters).

Hubby and I are on disability, so money is tight, and you don't "save" any money with homemade sweaters (the denim skirts were a lot cheaper than I could have bought). I buy yarn at a sellout place (like a privately owned Big Lots), from thrift stores, and from an online store called Smiley's. I love Smiley's, but there's a $40 purchase minimum and another $10 for shipping. Depending on the yarn, you can either save lots of money, or if you watch the sales, you can often do better locally.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:18 AM   #8  
In love with...THE GYM!!

S/C/G: 243/213/150

Height: 5'8"

My mom got me a sewing machine earlier this year and has been teaching me how to sew. So far I've sewn a poncho and a dress for my eldest, and a tank top/short set for my youngest. It's pretty interesting. I need to start up again.
julie99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:45 AM   #9  
Addicted to potato salad!

My gramma was an awesome seamstress, but I only make my own curtains.
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #10  
In the shell

No, I don't, but I've always wanted to learn even though I'm not very patient. I have a friend who makes her own purses and they're so cute! She's made a few dresses that I know of as well.
Caly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 316/304/185

Height: 5'4"

I made all of my clothes when I was in high school and first married. I even sewed for my daughter when she came along. But, I have given up on that.

Now I quilt, knit, crochet and cross stitch........I figure as long as I keep my hands busy I will stay out of trouble. HA

If you are feeling the need, go for it.......It's like riding a bike.
Tacklenurse is offline   Reply With Quote