Old 09-08-2008, 06:05 PM   #1  
~ The Walker ~

Exclamation %'s??? Carbs/Fat/Prot???

besides Counting Calories are there Percentages we should be following for CARB's - PROTEIN's - AND FAT's???
as if this isnt hard enough for me already...
BuuBuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I think it's best to get used to counting calories first. Once you are used to that you can play with the percentages to see what works for you.

You'll hear various answers about what works for different people as far as percentages go. The USDA suggests 10-15% protein, 30% fat, and the rest carbs. Others suggest 30/30/40. Some will tell you something else completely. Everyone's body is different, so it's hard to tell you what is best for you.

Weight loss is essentially a matter of consuming less calories then your body needs. Looking at it in generalizations, you could lose weight by eating junk if your calories are low enough, although I doubt that is healthy.

If it all feels overwhelming (sounds like it does) then just focus on eating as healthy as you can within the calories you've allotted for yourself. You can tweak other things later once you get comfortable with the counting process. Don't take on too much at once! Baby steps are easier and you are much more likely to stick to it.

BTW, just to let you know what I do, as an example (your body may need something different), I focus on keeping my fat near 30% although I don't freak out if it's more since I eat mostly good fats. I don't worry about carbs, but try to eat whole grains. I eat lots of veggies and try to keep my fiber over 25 grams per day. I drink lots of water. Protein I let take care of itself. My levels have never been what I'd consider low.

Last edited by zenor77; 09-08-2008 at 06:18 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/277/TBA

Height: 5'5"

I agree. First get used to counting, and then take a look at your percentages once you're ready and comfortable with it. If you use FitDay or a similar program, it will automatically work out the percentages for you.

As far as ratios, go, it's totally a your-mileage-will-vary thing. You'll need to experiment and see what works for you. Personally, I've kept a 40-30-30 ratio in mind, although recently I've been trying to keep the protein equal to the carbs.
Redheaded I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I generally tend to stick with the whole 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein ideal. Works for me.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:26 PM   #5  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

I also try for the 40/30/30 rule but I agree with those who said don't bother if it seems too overwhelming right now.

It took me years to focus on the percentages and that was after I had lost most of my weight. I thought that it might help me lose the final few pounds and also just be healthier overall. Using a website to track calories (like Fitday or Daily Plate) helps a lot since it does the calculations for you.

I started losing weight only counting calories/WW points and it definitely worked but I started to worry about not getting all of the nutrients I needed with only a calorie total as my daily goal.

Short answer - do what you can when you can. If trying to do too much will put you off the whole thing, stick with calories for now!

Good luck!

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I'd also say get used to counting first, then worry about the macros.

I lost the majority of my weight by counting calories and trying to incorporate more protein into my diet - but not worrying about macros. It wasn't until earlier this year when I started lifting weights that I actually paid attention to the numbers.

Now I work to get 40/35/25. For me 35% protein means I"m averaging 110-120g of protein a day, which is what I want. The rest just sort of falls into place naturally.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #7  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

The macros really will be a personal preference. After you track your foods for a while, you will see what your tendencies are, and what you might want to adjust.

I would really like to be at 40/30/30, but most times end up around 50/25/25.
I do tend to lose a little bit better when the protein and fat are higher. I also concentrate on getting fiber in, and try to get 25 grams in a day. So - that makes it a bit harder to get the other macros where I want them to be, as I am not a huge veggie eater.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote