Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 137.5/136/120

Height: 5'1

Default New suggestions...

Hi My name is Colleen and I have posted her a few times over the last year looking for advise for my husband who would like to have WLS. Well yesterday his doctor scheduled him for October 8th. Seemed like something that he and I have talked about and have been working towards for months-can't believe the day is finally here.
Anyhow I have read the posts above about what to get for food ect..
I am just wondering if there are anyother suggestions or ideas you all might have.
I have no idea what his recovery will be like. We have 4 Daughters(1,5,8,12) I am wondering if I should ship them off to grandma house( i was planning on having grandma come here)? FOr those of you who have had the surgery was there anything you thought" i wish i had that at the hospital or I wish I had thought of that ect ect..
Thanks for you help and support!!
Best wishes to all!
Take care
Colleen
jamer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #2  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

I was prepared! I had my liquid diet purchased (dr. gave me a shopping list), my loose clothes clean and ready, I had a case of water bottles chilling in the fridge...had my grown daughter guilted into taking care of me..."I changed your diapers!" I had my boss and the children I work with prepared for my 4 weeks off.

Tell your DH to practice chewing, chewing, chewing everything he eats...drinking in sips...and start exercising as the best he can if the dr feels he can.

Expect that both of you will be on a huge emotional rollercoaster between now and the surgery date...you just put up your hands and shout WOOHOO!!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 09-04-2008 at 03:05 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Colleen

What type of surgery is he getting? I'm going to speak for lapband here: What I would have is GasX handy (chewable), liquid tylenol, get his pain meds filled as soon as you can, you might even want to ask the doctor for them a day before surgery so you can get it filled. This way you don't have to drive all over the place when your bringing him home. By the time they gave me my last pain meds to the time I got home, I was in ALOT of pain, so I wish I had gotten the meds or at least had the doctor give me the pain meds right before I left the hospital.

Do you have a recliner? he might want to sleep in that for a while. Have lots of clear liquids for him to drink, gadorade, non-carbonated drinks, ice pops with no chunks of fruit in it, broth. He HAS to learn to take small small sips, teeny... so maybe give him his stuff in a shot glass or something similar. He needs to pay attention to his liquids, he needs to make sure he's drinking enough to keep him hydrated. Also tell him NO exercise or lifting things until his doctor says he can at his 6 week follow-up... very important. The first few weeks is about healing and not weight loss, so when he gets to mushy or solid foods... EAT! The band doesn't work without fills. Once he gets the fills, he'll be able to eat less and lose weight. Follow all the doctors rules... no if's and's or but's !!

Your three daughters are in school, right, so I don't think you'll need to ship them off anywhere, and the little one should be easy.

Good luck !!!

Last edited by Leenie; 09-05-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 137.5/136/120

Height: 5'1

Thank you for all your suggestions- I forwarded them to my DH. He got his insurence confirmation it the mail today-guess it is a done deal!
I called him at work to tell him and asked him if he was nervous he said no are you- and ofcourse i said yes- I am woman-and a worrier....
but just like all my c-sections and other surgeries he has had everything worked out ok- this will to!!
Thanks again for your support
Colleen
jamer5 is offline   Reply With Quote