Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-01-2008, 04:48 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat: September 1 - 7

Last edited by Meg; 12-18-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:17 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

You're kidding right? No, knowing you, I don't think you are. Meg, you dear, dear woman. How can you even think for a teeny tiny second that you need to apologize??????? Nothing could be further from the truth. It's amazing me that you've posted as much as you have, given all that you are going through now.

And, oh yeah, how DARE you not be perfectly on track after just having double knee replacement surgery. What kind of slouch are you? Wow, talk about being tough on one self young lady. Sheesh. Give thyself a break friend, will you? Quite frankly, I can't believe you're ready to get back into so quickly.

I can't imagine how much you must be looking forward to Wednesday!!! It's just around the corner. As is all the benefits you will be reaping from the surgery. Before you know it, not too far down the road, these last few very difficult weeks will be a distant memory as you enjoy your brand spankin' new knees.

I had a great Labor Day weekend so far. The best part of it, I've been POP. Even while dining out and with friends to boot. I made EXCELLENT choices. I ate small portions of those excellent choices, no bread, no alcohol and reward, reward, reward - I'm back in my skinny jeans!!! Now granted, I'd like them to be a tad looser, but heck I"M IN MY SKINNY JEANS!!!! In fact, I had them on, asked my DH if I looked fat in them, and trust me, he's truthful, doesn't know about tact with that loaded question, and he started laughing. I mean genuinely laughing. Asked if I had lost my mind.

Had another great day at the beach yesterday with friends. And am headed back there again today. Though I should use this day off to tackle some stuff in my house. But I just can't resist. It IS the last day of ths summer afterall, isn't it?

Have a fantastic day everyone and a wonderful week ahead.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh one more thing. Last night on the way home, I stopped off in a new food market. Well, it's new to me. I've never been there. And they had the cutest little squashes. Like just enough for one portion. As I was standing there, I was thinking as the summer was ending, at least SOME good will come of it. We get a whole crop of new winter squashes. Anyway, I bought a tiny little Sweet Dumpling Squash and something called a Potato Squash. But it lookd just like the Delicata squash that I loved and enjoyed last fall. I'll have to look them up when I have some time. I can't wait to give them a try.

Edit to add: Yes!!! I just looked it up. And indeed the potato squash and delicata squash are one and the same. NOW I'm excited. Yipeee!!! And the price was excellent - 99 cents a pound. I will definitely be heading back there today to stock up. Why does food get me so excited?

Here's the link to the different squashes -
http://www.foodsubs.com/Squash.html#delicata%20squash

Last edited by rockinrobin; 09-01-2008 at 07:46 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:29 AM   #4  
No description available.

Happy Labor Day! I always like catching babies on Labor Day, but alas, today I won't be. I'm sure I'll think of something else fun to do!

Meg, I am so proud of your spirit through all of this! You continue to show us all how to do this maintenance thing (no pressure, though!)

Robin, congrats on the POP weekend and restaurant choices. I know that has been your struggle and I bet you feel great!

I took the kids raspberry picking yesterday. I have fresh raspberries in my oatmeal this morning. Organic, local, fresh, and hand-picked by people I love. They loved it. And so did I! I'll see if I can post pix later---I thought about Barbara with all those wonderful berries. But Robin, I do understand why you get excited about the squash. Food is excellent. It tastes good and it is important. I do get excited about things like grilled shrimp, fresh raspberries & asparagus, and, yes, squash makes me happy too. I'm still a foodie---but I make better choices.

Thanks so much for all the support last week, guys. I really had a panic moment on Thursday. But I have survived and am on plan and I don't want to go there again. I suspect some day I will, cause I have noticed that life has curves and ups and downs and stresses, etc., and I will never be cured of binge behavior, but I can manage it (with a little help from my friends and family) and get right back on plan without self-flagellation, guilt or punishment--which makes the cycle worse for me. That is what is different about this weight loss journey as compared to the last failed ones.

Have a good day, all!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

September again! Time really does fly by. I had a bone scan on Friday, should have the results, tomorrow. Right now I am taking the attitude that my doctor is just ruling out all possibilities, so I am willing to wait for the results to see if I should be worried.
Meg, I have missed your posts but understand why you have not been posting. No need for you to apologize.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Happy Labor Day!

I have successfully lost 2 pounds since joining the gym! DH and I walked the dogs yesterday and today. I've been really, really cutting down on my alcohol consumption (now limiting myself to weekends only and it's going fine so I'll continue with that). Oh, and I went shopping with DD as she came home from college to do some laundry (I doubt we'll see her again until October). I got the CUTEST Bermuda shorts! I've been looking for a pair for months and every pair I try on look horrible on me. Well, this pair was priced ridiculously high, but were 75% off--still cost $49 though, but well worth it as they're so cute. I may take a photo and post it in the clothing section. I also got a pair of jeans (size 6!).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Just a quick C-YA before I head outta town for about 11 days.

I will accept MEG apology......NOT!!...Take it easy dear!

ALLISON, Angie and I met our son and daughter in law for breakfast this morning, I mentioned to them that one of my Fat Chick friends was going to the Washington game. They said that my son was and my daughter and son in law were too but a friend of my son was taking my daughter in law's seat. Seems that the Chargers have a bye that week-end so she thought she was off and could cheer on the field at the game for the USC alumni cheer thing. It seems she has a camp with "little Charger cheer kiddos" that she has to do for her cheer commitment with the Chargers. So you can look for my son, daughter and sil! By the way she had a 10 second full on camera shot on ESPN against the 49ers the other night...of course I missed it...I was cussing out the stove in the company apartment!....breaker was off...when she came on. My brother and bil saw her.

Later gals ~ Gary....still in "happy range" at 171!...not ecstatic....just happy!

Last edited by EZMONEY; 09-01-2008 at 07:12 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Talking Happy fall!

Haven't been in school for 100 years but this weekend is still the start of fall for me.

21 days 'til my vaction in NYC and I'm trying hard to not let my dad ruin it all. Too long to go into here but I really wish he hadn't come back from Estonia and had decided to live out his days there.

Meg No worries about posting. Just concentrate on your plan to heal quickly and start using those spankin' brand new knees!

Rockin' Congrats on being POP for the long weekend. I've never managed to do that. You have great willpower!

MidwifeGlad the crisis is over and hope continued success for you on your weight loss journey.

bargoo Hope the bone scan shows nothing is wrong.

Allison SIZE 6! That's just great! Glad you found the shorts and sometimes it's worth it to spend a bit more on something you feel great in.

Have a good night all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:03 AM   #9  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

I've been busy playing golf all week. I decided since I took back up this sport that I needed to look the part. I bought myself 5 skorts, 5 polo shirts and 2 new pair of capri's , new golf shoes, a new putter and some tees. LOL, yes shopping does make me feel better. The sales were really great this weekend. I played golf today in one of my new outfits and unfortunately it didn't improve my game any, LOL, but I felt like I looked better!

My eating wasn't bad this weekend, but not really POP. I did cut back on my carbs and leave the sweets alone. I also quit the diet coke and drank my water.

DH returns to work tomorrow and I hear my gym calling me!
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:00 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Unhappy recovering from the weekend

Today feels like Monday to me. I'm all depressed and bloated and feeling icky. Most of it has to do with my dad's being back and all the b*ll that brings with it.

I seem to always lose ground on the weekend. It's because we eat out more and not on schedule. I try to make healthy choices but it seems I always gain a couple of lbs. on the long weekend.

And DH still brings home "treats" which I then eat to please him and to share in the "weekend whohoo". The sad thing is that I don't think he really wants those things any more either.

We don't have many hobbies in common except TV and snacking. We do kayak together and walk together but the later evening always finds us in front of the TV. That will end at the end of this month when we stop our cable subscription.

I am at my red line weight this morning. There is a lot of stress from my dad's being back (just found out yesterday that he's let his car insurance lapse and is driving without insurance) and I'm scrambling to get all my vacation stuff ready.

Don't even feel much like going now - my dad again. I wish I could just send him back to Estonia and never see him again. Not an option unfortunately.

DH starts his CMA studies next Saturday so that will be added stress/work for me.

Thanks for letting me vent/rant guys! I will figure all of this out without gaining back the 17 lbs. I will get down to 131 again before Sept. 22 and NYC.

I will enjoy my vacation!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:52 AM   #11  

Good morning, long time no post. Somehow between surgery, school starting, a 10th and 1st birthday coming here and paying attention to my weight got lost. ~sigh~ so I'm creeping back in.

Meg-I hope you feel better very soon.
Lily and Allison-enjoy the gym
Midwife-I had a Labor Day baby last year. This year was much easier, LOL

Hope no one minds my slinking back. I feel like a bad girl.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #12  
No description available.

Hi Lisa! That baby is ONE? Whew, time flies. I simply don't understand how you might have something else to do besides post here all day. Hmmm....kidding of course!

Dagmar, sorry you are stressed. Just remember that eating doesn't make it better. Now please tattoo that on my forehead.

Lily, how fun shopping for golf clothes!

Have a good day!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:33 AM   #13  

Height: 5'1"

Good morning all, sounds like all of you made better choices than I do this Holiday. It was my Holiday off work and my son and his family came over for a BBQ. And I over ate! Nothing bad, just too much of a lot of things good for you. You can still over eat on healthy food! Only had one small (I mean a forkfull) bite of coconut cream pie. So, for the rest of the week, no goodies for me. None of the candy I usually have with my afternoon tea. cutting back on the extra's. I will weight myself in a few day, but I don't think I did any permenant damage. And, isn't this the way "naturally thin" people eat? Enjoy a holiday and then eat less to make up for it? I know I will never be a "naturally thin" person, but I want to learn to eat like one. That also inclues not eating when I'm not hungry, just because it's meal time.

Meg, glad to hear that you are doing well. Forget about the appology!! Everyone here understand. And I personally think you're awsome. Gotta tell you, not many people have both knees done at one time. And you will feel much better once those staples come out. And a shower will make you feel like a new woman. I still can't understand the no shower thing. We shower our patients with new knees all the time. Different Dr., different rules.

Robin, Congrats girl, for getting back into those "skinney" jeans. That is such a rush!! That was my goal. To get into my size 6 jeans and them be loose and comfortable. I was at the local vegetable stand this weekend too, buying corn and other vegetables for the Holiday, and saw some really interesting things. Each season brings it's own rewards. Apples are starting to come in again. We will go to the orchard and pick our own. Not only will we get a better price, but they taste so much better.

Midwife, Congratulations on getting through a hard time and realizing that "thus is life". We all have those times, and have to learn that we can get through them withought using food as a crutch. The rasberries sounds so good! I used to pick them as a child, they grew wild where I lived.

Bargoo, I've got my fingers crossed for good results!

Allison, YEAH!!! 2 pounds is awsome!! you deserve new clothes. And clothes that make you look good and feel good are worth any price!! I'd rather have a few really nice pieces that I feel great in, in lots of cheaper stuff.

dagmar, Don't let your dad's visit get you down. My husband used to bring home "treats" too. He said they were for him, but it was all the things I love. I finally had to tell him to stop it. After while it just seemed that he was trying to sabatoge all the effort I was making to lose weight and eat healthy. I had a long talk with him and at first his feeling were hurt, but he came around. I still think it was some of his insecurity about me getting thin.

Lillybell, Isn't that what golf is all about? Looking great out there on the green? Not a golfer here!!

make it a good day, Freda
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:59 AM   #14  

Height: 5'7"

Well, my children were home for 3 straight days and I'm wrecked. Someone is always screaming or crying or whining at me and it just GETS to me. They are back at day care today while I attempt to find some pants to cover my enormous postpartum backside so I can go back to work in two weeks.

Most mothers I know say this is normal, but I feel like I missed out on the maternal genes somewhere.

I saw a woman about my age running on Sunday morning as I hauled the traveling circus out for pancakes, something I haven't been able to do because of my stupid knee, and I just broke into tears.

Oh, yeah, and apparently I've been starving my son, because his weight dropped down to the 5th percentile, down from 25th, which was down from 50th. We got him over the bottle aversion and now he's having several servings of formula a day in addition to nursing. I'm confused, since when I pump it seems like a normal amount (judging from my experience with DD).

Have to go now. Will try to do personals later.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:14 AM   #15  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Meg, you don't need to apologize! We totally understand.

Robin - congrats on getting back into the skinny jeans!

midwife - glad to hear you are back on plan.

bargoo, I hope you have favorable results from your bone scan.

Allison - your DD is home for laundry already? Didn't she just leave like a week ago??

Dagmar - Sorry to hear you have to deal with issues from your dad. I hope he is not going with you on your vacation to NY!

Hi to JoyOfSix Lisa, Lily, and Freda!

Lisa (the other one) - I was cracking up about your comment about "Get in my belly!" DH and I quote that line all the time.

We had a pretty good weekend. We took the dog out to the country with the in-laws, and he had a lot of fun swimming in the lake and running around the woods. IMO it would have been more fun without the in-laws there, but it is their house after all! At least I managed to talk MIL into letting me cook dinner one night, having oatmeal for breakfast, and not making a pie. Weight is up less than a pound today!

DH got his exercise down there by digging rocks out of the riverbeds to take home and use as stepping stones and edging in our garden. Our trunk was totally full of rocks on the way home and the dog was wedged into the back seat! It is nice to get the rocks for free though, since they would be expensive to buy and the ones he dug up are pretty.

I'm getting exercise and loving it! Fingers crossed for no more physical setbacks for me. My current plan is to do C25K at half speed (basically do each "week" for two weeks). I'm on my second week of week 1 this week. My aqua aerobics class starts next Monday too, and it sounds like bellydance at work is going to become regular as well! Woohoo!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote