Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-31-2008, 06:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/190/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Where the h-e-double-hockey-sticks is the wagon, again?

Okay, so...on the wagon. Yep, that's me. For almost 3 weeks now I've been on that wagon, driving towards a new me.

I'm sticking to a mostly whole foods plan. I still buy the occasional frozen dinner and I hate that. Like last night. I had a Lean Cuisine garlic chicken flatbread pizza. Tasty, but I could've easily made that at home, made it tastier, and without the crappy low fat cheese, and still stayed within my diet requirements. I do well for a while and then I fall off the wagon entirely like this.

I mean, I'm a cook. I really am. Give me ingredients and I can whip things up without a recipe relatively easily. It's sad that I've gotten to the state where I don't even want to do it anymore. It's why I gained the weight. Before I had my baby I cooked all the time. I made my own pasta sauce. I even made my own pasta on occasion when I was really wanting to get away from ready made foods. I want to get back to that and, because of all the fast food buying I've done lately, it's really hard.

So...I'm cleaning out the fridge today of the processed crap and dragging my butt 40 miles to Wheatsfield Grocery sometime in the next few days for a little awakening of my inner chef. That place has some of the best local produce, grass fed beef and pork, free range chicken, locally produced milk, eggs, and cheese, and a very large bulk items section. I should be able to get everything I need to really start this journey.

So...I need some support to help me get into this again. I'm wanting to establish a good grocery list of items that will work well for quick meals, but still be really good and on plan. The boyfriend can have whatever he wants, but I have to stick to this. I have a few plans already: chickpeas, lentils, black and red beans, brown rice, low sodium chicken stock, low sodium vegetable stock, black-eyed peas, couscous, corn meal, olive oil, good balsamic vinegar, organic canned whole tomatoes, spinach, parsnips, carrots, turnip greens, beets, broccoli, baby lettuces, onions, sweet potatoes, cabbage, green beans, sugar snap peas, and varied bell peppers. I can think of about 10 meals that I can make off the top of my head that include some of those things. I have a ton of pasta here at home that I need to use up before I cut it out of my diet for good, a decent amount of shrimp and chicken portioned out into bags for easy use, plenty of eggs and flour for pasta and breads...sound good?
Stephanie Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/279/180

Height: 5'10"

Now I'm hungry.

Looks awesome to me... asparagus, garlic, celery, pinto beans, hot peppers?

I wish I could cook all awesome like that. I cook for subsistence only!

Good luck, sounds great!
Iconoclast at Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:01 PM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Parsnips.

Sometimes I enjoy cooking, sometimes I don't. Give yourself a few choices that don't require a lot of prep for the times when you don't feel like making a big production of it. String cheese, peanut butter and low carb bread, salmon burgers, almond milk & frozen fruit for smoothies, yogurt, cottage cheese, applesauce...I eat snow peas like corn chips.. Good stuff, Maynard.

Slowing the wagon down a bit, hop in!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:03 PM   #4  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

Oh - and when you do make a production of it - let us know, we'll be there! I just read my post, it seems like I'm harshing on your enthusiasm...I totally didn't mean it like that. I'm just saying don't beat yourself up for not being superwoman.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:12 PM   #5  
cher37

Good on yah Stephanie!

We've started cutting out processed foods, buying local fresh produce, dairy & meats (and, 3 weeks ago, after a migraine, I threw out traditional cleaning products & replaced with natural cleaners). Thankfully, my hubby is on board with no processed foods - I just have to get him to like legumes & beans
Like you, I love cooking & get excited with new recipes!
I has been a bit of a challenge - especially when I'm tired, to make meals from scratch, but I feel so much better afterwards with more energy & less guilt!
Keep up the good work - Cheryl
Old 08-31-2008, 07:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/206/190

Height: 5'9"

Oh, I so want to do this, but not sure where to start!
I was an Earthmother type when my kids were little, then when they got older (4 of them) I opted for easy and low fat. I've just started growing some of my own veggies again, but where to start with whole foods and losing weight? You guys know any good books? Or are you just winging it?
keikoasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:48 PM   #7  

I'm winging it, but generally eating with an eye to whole, healthy foods and portion control plus exercise has helped me lose and maintain weight before...so I have a feeling that it is just what I'm going to have to do again.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:46 PM   #8  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

The wagon is THAT WAY *flexes muscles*

I was off plan for so long this weekend {sucky holidays...}. We have slip ups. It happens. You can do this. You've come so far already by changing your eating habits. Just stick to it and learn from the mistakes.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:04 PM   #9  
cher37

to "keikoasmom",
Here's my 2 biggest sources of whole food cooking inspiration:

1. Jamie Oliver has great recipes from whole foods - he encourages use of organic etc. He has some recipes on his website, and the most common fat that he uses is olive oil & sometimes butter (both of which the recipes can be modified to use less). I also take out his books at the library for free (I won't buy books esp. when most of the time, about 10 recipes will peak my interest).
2. Looney Spoons & Crazy Plates cookbooks - good healthy & tasty recipes

Enjoy!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:29 PM   #10  

Bah, I feel horrible tonight. I had a double cheeseburger and a half. The rest of the day was fine. The only reason I had one is because I didn't want to devein the shrimp. COME ON! I'm being stupid and I know it and that's what sucks so much. Where has my love of cooking gone lately?

I think I'll blog my feelings about it. This entire week has just been an off week.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:28 AM   #11  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
I think I'll blog my feelings about it. This entire week has just been an off week.
I blame the weird fronts pushed in by the hurricane. It seems everyone in my area has been feeling a slump since Friday. Maybe Iowa's the same way.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #12  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Quote:
Bah, I feel horrible tonight. I had a double cheeseburger and a half. The rest of the day was fine. The only reason I had one is because I didn't want to devein the shrimp. COME ON! I'm being stupid and I know it and that's what sucks so much. Where has my love of cooking gone lately?

Hey neighbor, I'm right next door. This awesome cooler weather we've been having can be a real challenge. For me, perhaps it's fond childhood memories of Mom and the giant apple tree in the backyard. Apple season. The aromas, the comfort, the crisp air, bond fires. This is good "eating" weather....

I'm a big fan of healthy unprocessed foods, but sometimes it is very difficult to find the time and energy to prepare. I always keep a few frozen dinners in the freezer for emergencies. I enjoy every bite, and without guilt. A frozen WW Lasagna dinner might not be the epitome of health, but it is WAY better than the bag of chips with a half a bottle of ranch dressing I was "snacking" on a year ago.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 09-04-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 04:47 PM   #13  

Haha. I'm getting ready to go on a trip to the orchard soon for the first time this year. I want apples that weren't flown in from Chile. Picking up some granny smith for baking, some golden delicious and red delicious for snacking, and then a couple apple dumplings that are made at the orchard from scratch as a treat. I figure that I'll eat good all day one day soon and have that for dessert after my dinner with my DBF.

I think it's time to get out the recipes for crock pot stuff. The stew, the roast, the soups and salads. It's how I used to eat in the fall. I mean, the season for butternut and acorn squash isn't too far away and I have this killer squash soup recipe that's lower in fat since I added fat free half & half instead of the cream.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:02 PM   #14  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Stephanie - I make a great roasted pumpkin soup from fresh pie pumpkins. It barely even needs cream...a little fat free half and half, if you want the extra silkiness.

I like to top mine with roasted pumpkin seeds, since I have the seeds anyway, tossed with a little chili powder...mmm...

I wish it were fall-type weather here. We're still firmly in summer mode in CA.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 01:49 PM   #15  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Quote:
It's sad that I've gotten to the state where I don't even want to do it anymore. It's why I gained the weight. Before I had my baby I cooked all the time.

FACT:
Kids have the innate ability to suck the life force of you.

How old is your baby? I remember all too well how much energy they require, especially when they are little. Don't be too hard on yourself. I agree w/the other posters about frozen stuff. It's not the best but it is certainly a far cry from the worst thing you could eat. Everyone needs a quick fix meal now and again; it all doesn't have to be like Martha.

Maybe don't try to jump back into the 'everything homemade' routine all at once. Like counting calories, changing how you eat, exercising -- some things are easier done and stick better when you do them in smaller steps.

From what my kids tell me, we're an oddity in that we sit down to a home cooked meal every night. Burgers are usually on Sat. but I've noticed recently that I just don't feel like cooking on Fri. nights. End of the week and all. I usually try to have leftovers from during the week but if not, hey quickie frozen meals it is.

Your list of food looks fantastic. Let us know how your efforts are going!

Last edited by Hat Trick; 09-05-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote