General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-31-2008, 12:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Whatcha Readin' Sept 2008

I was trying to find the last book thread and couldn't find it (I'm sure some helpful person will say it was RIGHT THERE on the first page! heh ). Tomorrow is Sept 1, so I figured I would just start a new thread for September.

I just read 2 books:

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle - this book was such a tease. It was beautifully written, the author had a gift for a nice turn of phrase. It started slowly, but I stuck with it because there were so many mysteries, I thought it was going to go someplace awesome. It had the WORST ENDING of any book I have read since Hannibal. Just terrible and pointless and "why bother." Ugh.

Accidentally on Purpose - a non fiction account of a 40 year old single mother and her relationship with her elderly parents and the younger father of her child. I really liked it.

Next up:

The House at Riverton - I started this one yesterday and it has potential. I love the whole lord/lady of the manor/servant vibe (like from the movie Gosford Park).

What are you guys reading? I always get so many good ideas from this thread!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:13 PM   #2  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I am STILL reading Imajica, but the next book on the list is PS I love you, Just to see what all of the fuss was about.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:17 PM   #3  
Giving no Ground

S/C/G: 245/217/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm reading Predator by Patricia Cornwell, I think I'm about half way through... it's a murder mystery, but also kind of like CSI
Skullarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 01:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/173.2/149

Height: 5'6"

I just finished reading "The Choice" by Nicholas Sparks as well as "Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw" by Will Ferguson. I love Nicholas Sparks books mainly because they are kind of predictable.....and are an easy read. Plus, they're sappy romantic stories most of the time, and I'm all about those

Next up, I have "Nineteen Minutes" by Jodi Piccoult to read as well as "Notes on a Scandal". I saw the movie on demand earlier this summer and just want to see if the book's better/different/etc. My sister gave it to me because she finished it.
Chele615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:01 PM   #5  

I loved Notes on a Scandal
Old 08-31-2008, 03:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/199/150

Height: 5'2"

Yay! I love "what are you reading" threads! I'm such a book-a-holic!

I have a stack of mystery/suspense type books to read from a friend. Probably about 20 books! Luckily it only takes me about 3 days to get through one of these .

I just finished Head to Head by Linda Ladd. Creepy. I'm getting ready to start Alone by Lisa Gardner.
Magz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:11 PM   #7  

Right now I am reading Eclipse the third book in the twilight series..... its light after reading sociological theory all summer.....
then I think Labyrinth by Kate Mosse
and then I will be back to reading only sociology
s
36Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:30 PM   #8  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36Paws View Post
Right now I am reading Eclipse the third book in the twilight series..... its light after reading sociological theory all summer.....
then I think Labyrinth by Kate Mosse
and then I will be back to reading only sociology
s
Oh man, I blew through the Twilight saga while on vacation earlier this summer. Such fast reads!

I've been reading the Omnivores Dilemma and just started on Garden Spells as well a few hours ago. Both are good...it's going to be hard to choose between them.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Tonight I finish Riders by Jilly Cooper

Tomorrow I think I'll start On Thin Ice by Susan Andersen
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I also loved Notes on a Scandal -- book and movie. I just finished Breaking Dawn and am nearly done with Such a Pretty Fat. It's ok, but she's no David Sedaris -- not even close! Next up is either Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth or This Charming Man by Marian Keyes.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:02 PM   #11  
beachin'

I've been listening to David Sedaris' latest on audiobook......his writing, at least imo, doesn't translate well to audio. Maybe it is his voice...not sure.

LisaMarie - who wrote Such a Pretty Fat? Quick synopsis?
Old 08-31-2008, 05:09 PM   #12  

It's Jen Lancaster who also wrote Bitter is the New Black. She is HILARIOUS. She has a great blog too: jennsylvania.com

I get nearly all of my books from the library (just can't afford my reading habit) but I plan to buy this one - one of the very few books deemed "good enough" for purchase!

How weird, I absolutely LOVE LOVE David Sedaris reading his own stuff, I think the very sound of his voice is hilarious.

God, I hated Garden Spells! I was so mad because I bought it electronically for my eReader and couldn't return it! I won't spoil anything since you're still reading it, but I will say the constant "this person did that because they are a member of X family and X family ALWAYS acts like that" got on my nerves so bad.

Last edited by Glory87; 08-31-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:12 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 View Post
I also loved Notes on a Scandal -- book and movie. I just finished Breaking Dawn and am nearly done with Such a Pretty Fat. It's ok, but she's no David Sedaris -- not even close! Next up is either Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth or This Charming Man by Marian Keyes.
I am so jealous that you get to experience Pillars of the Earth for the first time, it is one of my all-time favorite novels. The scope is magnificent, the people are interesting and the science involved with building a cathedral is very accessible. And the good part - if you LIKE Pillars of the Earth, Follet wrote a sequel 10 years later is an exact knock off of the first book set 200 years later.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:32 PM   #14  
beachin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
It's Jen Lancaster who also wrote Bitter is the New Black. She is HILARIOUS. She has a great blog too: jennsylvania.com

I get nearly all of my books from the library (just can't afford my reading habit) but I plan to buy this one - one of the very few books deemed "good enough" for purchase!

How weird, I absolutely LOVE LOVE David Sedaris reading his own stuff, I think the very sound of his voice is hilarious.

God, I hated Garden Spells! I was so mad because I bought it electronically for my eReader and couldn't return it! I won't spoil anything since you're still reading it, but I will say the constant "this person did that because they are a member of X family and X family ALWAYS acts like that" got on my nerves so bad.
I guess I'm not the only one who could easily go into debt because of her reading habit!

It took me awhile to get into David Sedaris' voice. After the first disc, it wasn't so grating. There is just something about actually reading his books that really completes the story - I like being able to wrap my mind around his books and draw the pictures for the stories along the way.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:55 PM   #15  
The Dyslexic Typo Queen

S/C/G: 209/155/120

Height: 5'3

I'm reading Twilight right now and when I'm done I'll read the rest of the Twilight Series. It's so hard to put this book down!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote