Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-29-2008, 08:21 AM   #1  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Default Motivation, or ... committment?

I've had an epiphany. All these years, all this time, the multiple attempts (some successful, some not-so!) to lose weight, and it's suddenly occurred to me.

See, previously I've been looking for motivation. I've looked externally and internally, with internet forums, weight loss support groups and meditation. I've hunted high and low for that magical motivating factor, the one thing that was going to jump out and hit me over the head, resulting in everlasting weight loss and the release of the skinny chick inside me just waiting to come out.

But all this time it wasn't motivation I needed. What I need in this journey to a healthier me isn't something to make me do it. Motivation isn't the answer. As the NIKE ads tell us, I just need to do it!

If I was to wait for motivation to strike, I'd still be at my beginning weight. You see, I want to lose weight, but I don't want to have to work at it. I want it to just happen.

Well guess what people? THAT IS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN! It is hard work. Planning, organising, exercising, buying new clothes as the old ones get smaller, it all takes work. And money. And it is NEVER going to get easy.

But sometimes you have to work hard for something. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it, and the sense of achievement I feel at being 4.8kg (10.5 lb) lighter than I was 2 months ago would not exist. I wouldn't know the exhilarating feeling of staggering through the jogging components of the Couch to 5K program. I wouldn't realise how empowering it is to say no to food that I know is unhealthy, high in fat and sugar, and that I don't really want because I am still full from lunch.

This is a ramble. And a lot of you, especially those who have been around these parts for a while have already realised this. I apologise, but I just needed to let you all know that I now realise as well! Due in no small part to the wonderful people on this forum, I might add.

So there you go. Ruth's realisation for the week. Motivation doesn't exist. Just do it!

Last edited by Primm; 08-29-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

These realisations are wonderful yes? Like a boost of energy.

There's a saying "If it is to be, it's up to me." Exciting and scarey all at once. But it's good to know that we have the powa!

Oh sure, life interferes once in a while but when push comes to shove ... I am in charge of my quest for slender good health.

I also agree that it may take losing a few pounds to realise this. It's much easier to believe in your ability when you see your plan working.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

It's an amazing & sobering realization. But it feels sooo good to know what it really takes.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:15 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

That's right!

You just have to start. You can't wait until you "feel like it"!

Commitment, followed by discipline! "Discipline" means willing to learn! And those who stick to their program learn every day.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Exactly!

My day of realization came last April. It was like POW! here it is! I just suddenly knew "what I have to do." And then I started doing it.

It definitely is a lot of work, hard work, but nothing worth doing is easy.
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Yay Ruth.

That's exactly what I keep saying - for me, I had to make being healthy and exercising just one of those things that you do - like paying bills and doing dishes and so forth. It's not a "rah rah" for me. It's just part of my adult life.

Good for you!!!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:22 AM   #7  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Great realization to have!

I too spent a large part of my life expecting to almost just wake up one day thin(ner), happier, or at least to find something that will make losing weight easy for me. It never happened. What did happen was that I decided that I needed to address my weight problem just like I need to go to work or do my assignments for school; it is something I'm REQUIRED to do in my life.

I do think some level of motivation is important -- you have to feel, at least imo, that you are WORTH making a commitment to and you need to get your head into a space where making a commitment to eat a certain way and be physically active will be a requirement in your life. But searching and searching for constant motivation to start or keep it up is useless.

And maybe that's part of the reason so many people lose and then regain? Their bubble bursts eventually and their motivation disappears? Just a hypothesis.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #8  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

It's true. So many times motivation gets you started, but you must find some other fuel to keep going. Whether you call it dedication or committment - it's what we all need to succeed.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 256/242.1/175

Hi - Thank you for that reminder. I need to hear it!!! I keep starting, I keep thinking I have the "motivation" that I need, and then I lose 5 pounds, feel great, and stop! Why do I do that? It's nuts! I think it's true that it's not motivation (maybe just to get started.). Truly, it's a combination of persistence and, as others have said, loving yourself enough to know that you deserve to put in the time and effort to get healthy and thin. Don't I love myself Why can't I do it?

Thanks for the thought-provoking post.
avi0903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #10  
Cute, Curvy, Coquettish

Location: Manchester, New Hampshire. Originally from California

S/C/G: 192.5/180ish- I think! /150.0

Height: 5'1"

That is one of my motto's I use for my life. Just do it! No excuses, no waiting for anything magic to happen. It's really helped me in all areas of my life, not just weight loss.

Maybe we can go into business together and sell a bottle of "Just Do It"...the wonder drug! hee hee
bunny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/173.6/145

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLK View Post
What did happen was that I decided that I needed to address my weight problem just like I need to go to work or do my assignments for school; it is something I'm REQUIRED to do in my life.

I do think some level of motivation is important -- you have to feel, at least imo, that you are WORTH making a commitment to and you need to get your head into a space where making a commitment to eat a certain way and be physically active will be a requirement in your life. But searching and searching for constant motivation to start or keep it up is useless.
Great assessment!
MotoMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:54 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 307/277/TBA

Height: 5'5"

Yay!!! Sometimes mental shifts can be small but huge at the same time. Some schools of thought use the word "Satori", with means instant awakening or enlightenment.

Good going!!
Redheaded I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #13  

Height: 5'6

This is just what I needed to read today!
VivienStarlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #14  

This is an interesting aspect of the whole "diet" topic. I've been trying to get my head back into the right place and trying to sort of re-motivate myself. Really, I should be re-thinking my commitment. I haven't been behaving as if I'm committed to the process. I've been half-*ssing it. Not feeling motivated has been a good excuse to screw around. But, a real commitment means doing it anyway.....hmmm.....
Gogirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #15  
carinna

I never looked at it that way. But you're absolutely right!
carinna is offline   Reply With Quote