Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-25-2008, 11:04 PM   #1  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Default Prepped for Tomorrow

Ok so I'm going to do gastronomic battle tomorrow I'm set up with good healthy protein packed food.
I've got a chunk of broccoli cheese quiche with roast Turkey and a flax crust i thought I had ham but turkey will do!
Salad
Veggie chili
PEanuts (last resort as they have sugar and msg arg!)
3 slices roast turkey
17 slices turkey pepperoni
and a hb egg

if the blood pressure poop hits the fan
Pretzels
I feel more armed for tomorrow
and I'm definitely going to have coffee in the AM Tea is not cutting it!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:02 AM   #2  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Sounds like a plan!!! Good for you, love! May your battle end in your favor!

Angela
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Wow you protein vixen you! Go for it. Have a happy proteiny day!!!!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

*knock on wood* I'm at the point in my day where I've been crashing super bad and I'm having a cheese and some Pepperoni and a diet coke I have felt good today The extra Protein and the hit of caffeine (and water ofcourse) really helped!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Kiers this is long but makes so much sense

I've been thinking a lot about your crashing and I do it a little, but not as bad. This guy called James H on Obesity.com He also has a website called the Wagon Plan. Like getting on the wagon toward good health. He had an RNY 12/07/07 and is really a smart guy. Not a professional, but....Well, read this and see if i makes sense to you and look at his sample menu. I know we need carbs for living and have really gotten a "no carb" fear going, but don't know that I necessary should be so fendish about them. It is really long, but give it a try, can't hurt. LOL! I had an all protein breakfast this morning and for lunch and didn't have my usual dip at four, but feel like something is missing.

James H. "Post Date: 8/26/08 2:09 am
I have done all the research I can on this topic and offer you what I learned during the many hundreds of hours of reading I have done to never return back to obesity. I present to you my findings.

The brain is the most treasure item inside the body. The brain requires 100g of glucose (Mainly from carbohydrates) a day in order to function. When the brain detects a shortage of glucose it needs to function, the brain will signal the liver to produce ketones until the body can liberate free fatty acids (FFA). Triglycerides are pulled out of fat cells and converted into free fatty acids and flow in the bloodstream, later broken down inside the muscles. This is one way we can liberate fats by decreasing the number of grams the brain gets on a daily basis forces the body to liberate fat from fat cells in order to feed the brain.
The original wagon plan focus around the control of blood sugars to liberate fats by starving fat cells by creating a very minimal insulin release. This is why our meals were balanced with 30g or less of carbohydrates and 7-14g or greater of protein. What this essentially did was stop blood sugars from rising and the production of insulin in the bloodstream minimal.

After doing much research this weekend, the body has a way of adapting to this process and stalls will occur. The new revised wagon plan will eliminate this problem and the fat loss will continue at a steady pace.

New Revised Wagon Plan

Fat storage and loss occurs only when muscle and liver glycogen are filled or depleted. In the original plan, we were able to enjoy our favorite foods by controlling the release of insulin, the new revised plan offers the same but different guidelines, fat loss will still occur.

FAT STORAGE
When we eat anything, insulin is secreted by the pancreas. Insulin main function is to lower blood sugars and tranport nutrients to the trillions of cells we have inside our bodies. Insulin also enhances the production of lipoprotein lipase (LPL). LPL are responsible for fat molecules to be broken down into smaller versions of themselves so they can fit inside the fat cells, fat molecules are too large to enter fat cells and need the assistance of lipos to do it. The body has three storage tanks to store glucose, Muscles, Liver, and Fat cell. Any glucose that is not needed at the time of feeding will be carried by insulin to muscle and liver tanks, converting them into glycogen. Once these tanks are filled, any glucose not needed will be directed to fat cells. So, by eating large amounts of carbohydrates, your body sends the extra glucose not needed to it's storage tanks for temporary energy for the brain and other organs and tissues. This is how we store fats. If muscle and liver tanks are not filled and have room for glucose, the body will ONLY store glucose in these tanks and not store them as fats. It's when these tanks are filled is when the body directs glucose into fat cells.

BURNING FATS
The pancreas is responsible for releasing a peptide hormone called Glucagon. This hormone liberates triglycerides from fat cells so they can be converted into glycerol and transported to muscles for energy. Glucagon is released when we consume protein and helps balance blood sugars when they are low. So, if insulin is responsible for lowering blood sugars, Glucagon is responsible for raising them. The balance creates stable blood sugars and fat liberation can occur. When we restrict our calories, it's Glucagon and another hormone called Cortisol that is responsible of stripping muscles in order to create energy. This is why when people eat under their daily caloric requirement, they begin to stall because the body loss active tissue (muscles), and the Thyroid releases T3 hormones to slow the activities in the body down to meet it's new energy expenditure. This process is called gluconeogenesis (Gluco = glucose, neo= new, genesis = creation), the body is creating new glucose from muscles.
Back to muscle and liver glycogen, when we deplete these tanks, the body will liberate triglycerides from fat cells and convert them in free fatty acids so they can be converted into glucose. So, the key to fat loss is MUSCLE AND LIVER GLYCOGEN!

The original plan controlled hunger and cravings, we will keep the plan in effect, but we will now maximize fat burning! The new revised plan requires a couple of changes. We will first obtain your safety net of calories to keep you out of the danger zone, this number may not hit a bullseye, but you will be very close to the target. Second, we will eat as close to maintenance levels as possible and use a process called cycling to burn fats at an extreme rate. Third, we continue to eat the foods we love! That's the part I love!

Okay. the first thing let's get your safe zone numbers. You will need you lean body mass and not your bodyweight because fats are not active tissues and do not require energy to be sustained. (Example: Person who weighs 150lbs have 10% body fat) This person has 140lbs of lean body mass. We will take 140lbs x 10 = 1400 calories. This is the safety net for this person. Anything under this number, and the body will adapt to our nutrition plan and fat loss will cease. Now, we will add 200-300 calories above this number and this will be our daily caloric requirement. Because most deficit are around 500 -700 calories, this person can safely eat up 2100 Calories and not gain weight.
Now to create a safe deficit, this person will eat about 1700 calories a day. We take 1700 calories and we divide this by 5 or 6 (We are eating 5-6x a day). At 6 meals a day, this person is required to eat 283 calories a meal. What we want to do is change the way the body is thinking about energy and force it to do as we desire. The brain requires 100g (carbohydrates) a day to function, anything less will liberate fats from fat cells to create the energy needed for the brain. Muscle and liver glycogen are used for this very thing. Please read this carefully and understand it.

When the brain detects a shortage of glucose it needs, it will pull it from muscle and liver glygocen!

As we carry on with our lives, these tanks are being drained. Our nutrition plan requires for us to eat protein every meal, this protein will be used to protect muscles later with the help of ketones. When muscle and liver tanks reach a low number, the brain will call on the liver to produce ketones. Ketones are a secondary energy source and can be used temporary until the body is capable of finding glucose for the brain. Ketones also protect the breakdown of muscle fibers. This is why when storage levels are drastically low, the body is forced to release Glucagon (Remember this hormone) to liberate energy from fat cells in order to feed the body. This process takes about 72 hours to complete. So, every 3 days, you will be losing stored fats! Although the amount may be small, the numbers will add up.

We are forcing the body to feed the brain by dipping into fat cells every 3-4 days. Muscle and liver glycogen will be depleted low enough to make this process happen. How can we do this? Remember the brain and it's 100g requirement? This is so important. We will design our plan around 70-75g of carbohydrates a day. The 25-30% decrease of glucose will force the body to go into action. Here is an example of what I am talking about.

Breakfast:
1/2 C Oatmeal (30g Carbs)
1 Scoop Whey Protein (21g Protein)
1 Banana (15g Carbs)

Snack:
2oz Almonds (6g Carbs, 6g Protein)

Lunch:
Tuna sandwich on low carb bread (15g Carbs, 22g Protein)

Snack:
3 Devil eggs (0 carbs, 18g Protein, 4-5g of Good Fats)

Dinner:
Grilled Chicken breast (26g Protein)
Steamed broccoli & cheese(very little carbs...fiber)

Total: 66g Carbs for the day, plenty of protein!

The brain will detect the shortage of glucose it needs and will begin to send alerts, muscle and liver glycogen will step in until they are critically low, after that, the liver will call on fats to replace the shortage of glucose.

This will happen everyday no matter what! You can still enjoy your favorite foods, with only one rule... do not go over the 100g (carbohydrate) a day. The body will eventually convert over into burning free fatty acids as an energy source and use dietary carbs as fuel to feed the brain. By controlling the levels of muscle and liver glycogen, we can force the brain to demand more or less from fat cells depending on how much we deplete our storage tanks. This is why it is so important to exercise, because glycogen levels will be depleted within 72 hours under stress like exercise. When this happen, the brain will pull energy from fats to make up the difference.

Low glycogen levels = fat liberation
Balanced meals = control insulin and the fat storage process
Ketones = protects muscle breakdown and serves as a secondary energy source.
Glucagon = liberates triglycerides in order to be converted into glucose for the brain.

My family, I have no more to offer you. This is all I have and after 100's of books and journals and references, I can only provide you with this. I am not a Nutritionist, nor am I a Doctor. I am a person who had a second chance (WLS) to do it right this time around. I invite you to research this information for yourself, learn all you can about your body, and make a plan around your lifestyle. I close this post with love and I wish you all success."
The Wagon Plan
The Wagon Plan Podcast
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:27 PM   #6  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Thanks Nan I'll look into it deeper when I'm awake more! I make sure to get a protein and a veggie at every meal.
I'm finding I have a problem with faux sugars they make me binge/want to eat
My plan for tomorrow is
Broc cheddar quiche with flax crust
salad with Flax and 1/2 cup cottage cheese herbs and spices
veggie chili
4 slices of Roasted Turkey Luncheon meat

I did great tonight until I had to put my food together (tho I think my SF fudgsicles had a role in it)
I'm also calling my gp tomorrow for WEllbutrin I have to get it again b/c I am addicted to food and while I've gotten a lot better
I need an edge