Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Default Gold Medal Eating

http://eating.health.com/2008/08/05/...ml&PromKey=XET

I thought this was an interesting article and a good follow up to the Michael Phelps 12,000 calorie story.

I thought these few items to be particularly of note -

Quote:
If we ate like Olympians, we’d all be a lot better off. Most will say that their athletic physiques have at least as much to do with what and how they eat than how much they exercise. Many have also told me that their biggest breakthrough performances have occurred after focusing on their diet, and not eating whatever, whenever.
Quote:
Instead of eating the same-size meals and snacks day in and day out, top athletes match what they eat to how much they exercise. They recognize hunger and fullness, eat when they’re hungry, and stop when they’re full. When they aren’t training hard, they cut back on their portions to match their calories with their energy output
Quote:
Most of the athletes I know should be in reality-show cooking competitions: They are excellent chefs and have a keen interest in buying the freshest ingredients and making wonderful meals.
Quote:
Athletes look at food as necessary fuel for their bodies. They believe that if they put junk in, they get junk out.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:41 AM   #2  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Interesting article, thanks Robin!

Last night watching the platform diving, my husband and I kept commenting on how ripped those guys were. Some of them seemed to have muscles I'd never even seen!

I wish I could recognize true hunger and fullness. I'm sure it is easier to eat healthily when you do!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:12 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post

I wish I could recognize true hunger and fullness. I'm sure it is easier to eat healthily when you do!
I know for me, listening to my body will never ever work. I have a hard time recognizing and an even harder time following through on hunger and fullness. My body *tells* me to eat, eat and eat some more .

This non-Olympic athlete, of Olympic proportions , must rely on tracking her calories, after finding out what #'s result in weight loss and then maintenance.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
My body *tells* me to eat, eat and eat some more.
Mine too. I sometimes wonder if there is a physical mechanism that is on the fritz in my body, or whether it's is more mental, or what?

I'm envious of people who seem to be able to regulate their weight with little effort. My father is like that -- he's a runner and like to keep his body weight low and just seems to know how much to eat without even trying. And as far as I can tell, he never seems to feel deprived and never struggles with it either. Lucky man!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Interesting contrast to the Phelps 12,000 junk food story. I hate to think so many people are getting the idea, "Well, I work out hard, so bring on the full fat mayo, grease, fries, and cupcakes!" They are still clogging their arteries, etc., EVEN if they are not gaining because of high intensity work outs. Phelps is clearly an exception! I'm glad to know that most athletes are eating healthful food in a conscientious way!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote