Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 161/157/135

Height: 5'5.5"

Default Nutrient ratios

I've done the writing stuff down/checking calories (or points) thing before. I thought that keeping track of stuff in FitDay would be much the same. Except, of course, FD has the nutrients for all of these foods listed there too, complete with charming little pie graphs of your Carb/Fat/Protein ratios.

And: bwuh. WOW. I am amazed.

I would have bet money that I would be 50% or even 60% Carb in my food choices, because I like sugary things so much. And I'm actually finding I'm 40+% fat, 30% carb, and it's a struggle to get my protein up to 30%. I'm going to be drinking protein shakes 24/7 to get enough protein!

I'm not exactly sure how these ratios are affecting my weight/health -- trying to eat this much protein deliberately is a new thing for me entirely. But I really was stunned at how little I understood what I was eating!
Dianeofnka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! Here's a nutrient ratio calculator that will let you compare the ratios of a few different approaches:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nut...calculator.htm

I follow the Zone percentages myself. I've found that if I'm actively exercising, getting enough protein is important to my well being.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I try to get my protein to 100 grams or more, which for me is usually about 30% of total. That's what my body needs to feel best...but what you need to feel best and meet your goals might be different, so don't get hung up on one being "right"...just experiment until you find "right for you".
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/277/TBA

Height: 5'5"

I also go for around 100 grams of protein a day. One of the tricks is to find some high-protein foods that you like and incorporate them into your daily or almost-daily food intake.
Redheaded I am is offline   Reply With Quote