Old 08-21-2008, 09:05 AM   #1  
Slow but steady...

S/C/G: 192/166.4/165

Height: 5'7"

Default sore muscles-- is that a factor? how much so?

Ok, I need a little pep talk here, and maybe some information.

I'm doing so great-- I don't lose weight at a fast rate, and I weigh in weekly, on Friday mornings. I have lost, on average, about 3.something lbs a month in this manner, taking into account the weight fluctuations with my TOM. So far, I've lost at least 22 lbs, and I'm really happy about that!

Last week, I weighed in, and I was down to 170.6! I was so thrilled. So I was extra diligent this week and did not cheat AT ALL on my food plan (limit to 1500 cals a day)-- in fact, earlier this week, I unfortunately suffered from some food poisoning, so for a day or so, I took in about 1100 calories (maybe that messed me up? I don't know), but now, I feel fine and normal. Gym routine, I'm doing great, even encorporated some new weight training machines in my routine-- in fact, my shoulders are a little sore from that...

Anyway, I weighed in this morning, a day early, cause I wanted to peek, and I was frankly feeling thinner. And I'm 'up' .2 lb. Now, ok, fine, whatever, but I don't understand it. Could it be water retention for sore shoulder muscles? I swear, I was so good for this week. I wonder if anyone knows just how much you can sort of 'retain' if a muscle group is sore.

Overall, I'm not that bummed about it, cause well, I'll get to where I want to be, but it makes me second guess if my goal weight is a reasonable one to 'maintain'-- I mean, I think it is, and maybe things are just sort of slowing down because I'm getting closer to it?
clibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #2  
No description available.

I'll spike as much as a couple of pounds 48 hrs after a weight lifting session.

You are doing so great with your weight loss! You are correct that loss can slow down as you get to goal. Are you measuring your body fat percentage?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #3  
Slow but steady...

S/C/G: 192/166.4/165

Height: 5'7"

Hi Midwife--

Hehehe no, I'm not measuring my body fat percentage-- I wouldn't even know how to do that... is that something I'd have to do with those caliper things?

That is good to know-- that maybe it is just inflamation from the muscle soreness. I mean, its not out of control soreness, but yeah, it hurts, but kinda in a good way, if that makes any sense.

Tomorrow I'll weigh in again, and see if there is any difference. Tonight, I won't be doing weights-- I really only do that 2 times a week, sometimes 3. Tonight I'll stick to the cardio and sit ups. That's another thing-- the situps I used to do twice a week, now I do it 5-- so that could be a factor too.
clibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

So many variables affect our weight on the scale -- including post-workout muscle retention. Here's a great sticky on the topic.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115826

You've done great so far! And WTG on adding weight training!

As you go along you'll see the scale just doesn't always reflect what we think it should. That's the nature of the game, unfortunately.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #5  

Calipers are the least accurate way to measure body fat. One of the most accurate is to have it checked when you have a bone scan. Cheaper than that is to use a body fat meter or scale. Not totally accurate but better than calipers. Keep up the good work!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #6  
No description available.

Hi Susan,
We've had this discussion in the weight training forum and my understanding is that calipers are better than a body fat meter or scale, but less accurate than a water immersion type testing.

Calipers, when used consistently and by a trained professional, can be very helpful in establishing trends, and trends can be very helpful in observing progress.

So, to answer the OP, my trainer checks my body fat pretty much monthly with 9 point calipers. I'm sure there are more accurate methods, but the trends she has measured matches the changes I have noticed in my body.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote