Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-18-2008, 07:56 AM   #1  
No description available.

Default Maintainers Chat---Aug 18-25

Hey guys,

I'm up early and I am used to Meg having started her week with this thread, coffee, and a workout. We miss you, Meg!! Mel, thanks for all the updates!

How are our mamas this week? The breastfeeding ones, and the ones getting ready to send their kids off to college?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:08 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good morning maintainers.

Midwife, thanks for starting this weeks thread.

Sending much speedy and painfree recovery vibes to our dear Meg. I hope she knows how much she is missed.

I had a disasterous weekend. Disasterous. Foodwise of course. Every other way it was wonderful. Spectacular weather, despite the forecast. We were in a lovely hotel, jacuzzi in the room (fabulous), stunning pool, luxurious linens, 32" plasma TV and so much more. I am truly enjoying being a "normal weight" person. Whoever says it's not worth all the effort and time is just, wait a sec, has ANYBODY ever said that ?

Despite my horrible weekend and my clothing not fitting me how it should, I had a great NSV, well actually, I had MANY (to me just enjoying the summer and all that it brings about is a HUGE NSV for me), but one that stands out - I was picking up my daughter from a friends house yesterday afternoon. A girl she met while away at camp. I had never met her before. My daughter tells me when she gets into the car, that as I was walking towards the front door of her house, her friend said to her, "Wow, your Mom's so fit." Fit. She used the word fit. I'm in heaven. I'm sorry, I just think that's the coolest NSV, coming from a gorgeous, 16 year old girl. Made my day/week/month/year. And it made me want to get myself back on plan today and rethink my horrendous summer weekends.

Hope all the mamas and every single one of you are well. Have a great day and week.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 08-18-2008 at 09:34 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Hi midwife!

Robin, that's a fantastic NSV, and it sounds like you had a wonderful weekend!

This breastfeeding mama is struggling. Breastfeeding is by FAR the hardest thing I've ever done (compared to it, losing 115 pounds was a breeze). The baby seems to be doing ok but I guess I'll find out for sure at his pediatrician appointment on Wednesday, when they weigh him. Mama isn't doing quite as well. It's painful, it's frustrating, I sometimes just want to throw myself down the stairs, and I just can't figure out when it will get better. Everyone says it gets better in the first few weeks, but I'm on day 12 and sometimes it's worse than ever. I'm really committed to it, though, so I simply refuse to give in and give him a bottle because I know that will just make things worse. It's hard because my family doesn't understand when they call, because my mother and sisters never even tried breastfeeding. They don't understand how hard it is when you can't just hand your husband a bottle in the middle of the night and let him feed the baby and instead you have to endure all sorts of pain and trying to get the baby to latch on.

Ok, enough rambling about my nursing problems! After each feeding, I feel like I've run a marathon, so I'm sure I'm burning lots of calories. That's a plus, right?
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! Meg, I hope you have a swift recovery!

Robin - that is a GREAT NSV. Being "fit" is so much better than being "thin," isn't it?

Lisa - sorry to hear the breastfeeding isn't going well. I hope things get better for your soon.

I am amazed at myself - I stayed under 1800 cals each day this weekend. Boo-yah! I'm hoping that Saturday's weight of 138.4 will stick through my next "official" weigh-in this Friday. It is so disappointing to be back up here near 140 when I had been so close to 135 recently. At least the new thyroid meds stopped the gain.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #5  
No description available.

Ah Lisa! I wish I could morph over to your house and give you a hand. It really does get better, but I wonder if there might be some ways to make it better now. Have you contacted La Leche League? Sometimes they have some hands on help. There are lots of right ways to breastfeed. Count diapers to check and make sure baby's getting plenty. One sided breastfeeding can be helpful and rest the other side if it is tender--alternate sides and feeding. It really is hard for moms, sometimes, especially when everyone else doesn't "get it". I'll tell you a secret. I did not breastfeed my first baby. I thought it was icky (yes, I was too young to be a mother---luckily my kid survived my idiocy! And I'm not referring to the lack of breastfeeding!) Anyway, my sister had a kid and tried to breastfeed but it didn't work. I was awful enough that when I got pregnant with #2 I decided to breastfeed and show the world that I could succeed in this---does anyone else think I need a shrink yet? It was SO hard. I swear, the only reason we made it through was sheer unadulterated stubbornness on my part. But yeah the first 2 weeks were awful.

After that by the time my other kiddos came along I had a clue and it worked well. But the moral of this tale (besides the fact that I am not a very good person!) is that it takes practice. And sometimes having someone else with a bit more experience check out your latch and heap praise on you can go a long way.

Last edited by midwife; 08-18-2008 at 11:39 AM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Best wishes to Meg for her continued recovery. I hope she is able to come home soon and the therapy goes smoothly.

Robin~WTG on the NSV!!!

Lisa~breasfeeding will get better!!! Don't give up!

I had a horrible weekend. Saturday wasn't too bad but my, oh my, Sunday was a whopper! I won't go into details but I found the nutrition values for my normal Sunday lunch (I knew it was fairly high) BUT I opted yesterday for something twice as bad! I'll go back to my usual in the future! Gah, calories were TWICE my limit. Time to get back on course.

DD is leaving Wednesday...she'll be back for Labor Day weekend as her high school band leader asked her to play one last performance on the 29th.

I pledge to continue at the gym as I have the past two weeks. This will I'll be mostly on my own, but I think my trainer has given me enough hints here and there that I'll do fine on my own. I really don't know if I want to plunk down another $600 for 10 more sessions.

Last edited by alinnell; 08-18-2008 at 11:44 AM.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Good afternoon!

Today is my birthday! I'm 22. It's not as special as turning 21, though ironically, I did most of my drinking when I wasn't legally supposed to do it

I know I haven't posted in ages, but I've also been without cable or internet for over a month. I moved into a new place - it's a quadraplex with a screen porch (soon to be my workout room as well as the room in which I will bring clients to personal train them), a deck, and a yard. I'm stoked. However, the tenant who lived in this unit before me was a bit of a dolt and stole other people's cable service so much that Cox actually put a lock on the box in which my apartment would be receiving cable! It took a long time to troubleshoot the problem, along with many phone calls and technicians.

I'm all bruised up and bitten to h-e-double-toothpicks by mosquitos and fire ants due to the move. I carried a 150 pound bookcase down two flights of stairs all by myself! (not to mention a lot of other furniture, a not-quite-so-mini mini fridge, and a couple big screen TVs - yar, harrr, woohoo, it was ALL me with the heavy lifting until we arrived at our destination and had men help us).

My eating has been less than favorable during this move, though, and I haven't been working out as much as I normally do. However, since I have gotten plenty of physical labor done while moving, the scale thankfully has not gone up. My eating was particularily disasterous this weekend (you are not alone, Robin and Allison!) with CRAP like the bloomin' onion and a jinormous rootbeer float.

In other news, my sister just swore herself into the army as a linguist! She beat out people with college education (she is 18 and just finished high school, but is very linguistically talented and can speak both Spanish and German fluently) as well as people with years of experience in intelligence and will be making great money right away. She asked me for tips and advice on running because if she can't run a mile in less than 10 minutes, they're going to send her to fat camp

Robin, that NSV is AWESOME!!! Heck, I know I'm somewhere close to half your age, but I would be flattered TOO if a gorgeous 16 year old girl called me fit! Rock on

Lisa - Daaaamn, breastfeeding must be insanely tough if losing 115 pounds is easier My mom breast fed both me and my sister for around 6 months (maybe a little more) and says the first few weeks are the hardest. Hang in there! (Not that I can relate, but I can imagine how difficult/annoying/painful it could be... AND I have a VERY vivid imagination...)

Jessica- staying under 1,800 calories on a weekend is something to be proud of, for sure... I don't know about you, but the weekends are when I mess up the most. Good job.

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 08-18-2008 at 12:57 PM.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #8  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I'm not doing so well this morning. Yesterday we went to a baseball game and early on--before the game even started--I got up to get a cup of coffee and tripped over our bags while I was getting out of the stands (at least I didn't trip over my own two feet). I went down fast and hard and managed to hit the right side of temple on some part of a seat as I went down. Immediately a big (quarter-sized) bump popped out of the side of my head. Seriously, it looked like a cartoon injury. There were practically stars and birds circling it. It hurt so bad I couldn't breathe for a minute or so. We went to first aid and they put ice on it, so the huge bump went down (more like it spread out to the whole right side of my temple) and I managed to get through the rest of the game, but by midway through the game my eye had started to turn a fantastic shade of purple (it looked like a really cool shade of purple eye shadow). This morning my entire right eye is dark blue (just ugly, not even a cool shade of purple eye shadow) and swollen. Seriously, the whole eye. I have a new camera phone and have decided to take daily pictures of it to compare progress. The only up side is that I figure it's probably the worst it is going to get today and from here on out it should get better.

And to top it off, on Friday I tweaked some muscle in my neck/upper back while I was working out and was in pain from that all weekend as well. It finally seems better this morning but yesterday I was quite the invalid, taking turns icing my back/neck and my eye.

And with all the injuries yesterday, I ended up off plan. Pretty much everything extra that I ate was fruit and one half cup of Fiber One cereal, so my calories still came in around 1800, but I didn't make it to the gym so it would have been better if I had stayed on plan. 1800 is my maintenance level when I exercise; without exercise I need to be lower. I had already planned on skipping the gym even before the head injury because of my neck/back injury. I did a light swim workout on Saturday which I think was therapeutic for the neck/back injury, but the pool is closed on Sunday and I didn't think it would do so well on the cardio equipment at the gym.

Robin: That's a fabulous NSV! BTW--I keep meaning to tell you that I stand corrected on the grapes. I looked them up and they are around 300 calories per lb, which is higher than I thought. So I guess if you were eating a lot of them every day, it could be a problem.

LisaMarie: I'm sorry you are having so much trouble breastfeeding. I know that a lot of my friends had trouble with breastfeeding with their first child, so you aren't alone. Have you ever read the book Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott? It's about all the difficulties she went through with her first child (including breastfeeding being a problem). It's very funny and you might be able to relate to a lot of what she goes through. You can probably find it at your local library (not that you have a lot of time or energy to read with a newborn).

Paperclippy: Congrats on the good weekend foodwise. Maybe all the hunger and weight gain was just due to your medication, despite your doctor's skepticism.

Midwife: I think you sound like a great mom! And kudos to you for sticking it through with the breastfeeding on your second child.

alinnell: Good for you on going to the gym. Too bad your lunch ended up so high in calories. I hope college goes well for your DD. It's nice that she'll be back for Labor Day, at least.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #9  

Height: 5'1"

Good Afternoon, Did everybody have a bad food weekend? What's up with that? I didn't eat unhealthy, just too much of a good thing. And even lettuce will make you fat if you eat too much of it (ok, it would be a LOT of lettuce). Just saying, even healthy foods have to be eaten in moderation.

Night, Happy Birthday! You may not have gotten to the gym, but you surely got enough exercise, lifting all that stuff. Sounds like you'll be much more satisfied with the new place.

Lisa, Just hang in there. And get help if you need it. I only have one child, and I didn't breast feed. Tried to, but had no encouragement or help at all, even in the hospital. I do remember the old "count the diapers" from nursing school though, to make sure baby was getting enough.

Robin, If some 16 year old told me I looked "fit" I would still be glowing. And have her come around more often!

Jessica, Congrats on staying on course! I hope the medication gets theraputic soon.

Allison, I'm sure you will be fine withut the trainer. You know what to do!

Barb, So sorry to hear about the accident. Hope your eye and neck are feeling better!

Everyone, make it a good day, Freda
the slim me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #10  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Hi y'all. I had a pretty good week-end, food and fitness-wise.

LisaMarie, I had trouble breastfeeding at first, too. Good thing I am so stubborn. There is a learning curve for both Mom and baby, so keep practicing and soon your pain will ease and it will be the most natural thing in the world. I know of a couple of on-line support sites, so PM me if you'd like a link.

Barbara, ouch! I hope you are feeling better soon.

Happy Birthday, Shane!

Robin, what an awesome compliment.

I am home with just my son today. It's so quiet!
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #11  

Hi maintainers,

Lisa-Marie - My eldest & me also had a difficult time getting breastfeeding to work. I had an experienced nurse around, and she advised to use some kind of plastic flexible shield over the breast. The shield is actually for if the breastfeeding is painful or such a thing, but it helped the baby because the nipple was much bigger so it could find where to suck more easily. No such problem with my 2nd child...DD was hungry and eager and found out how to breastfeed straightaway ! Good luck tough, and I'm sure you and your cute baby will get the hang of it.

Hi to all the other maintainers,

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 View Post
It's painful, it's frustrating, I sometimes just want to throw myself down the stairs, and I just can't figure out when it will get better. Everyone says it gets better in the first few weeks, but I'm on day 12 and sometimes it's worse than ever.
Oh, my, this brought back a lot of (painful) memories and my kids are 30 and 25! Lisa, it really does get easier and how long depends on each person, but the baby gets better at it, and your breasts get tougher, for lack of a better word. With my first, I actually had to bite down on a leather watchband to be able to endure feeding time. Reminded me of the Westerns where the guys getting a bullet cut out would drink whisky, then bite down on a leather strap. Only I didn't have the "luxury" of drinking whiskey. Anyway, contacting your local La Leche league is a great idea, especially when you have no family support. Also, I ended up getting mastitis with both my kids so be sure that you're not having issues with that.

Barbara, ouch!! That sounds awful--hope it gets better soon.

Hello to everyone else!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #13  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Midwife - I still think breastfeeding is icky, so I guess I'm not ready to have kids yet! I've heard that 27 is the magic number at which women start to feel their biological clock ticking, so I've got a little over a year to go (I turn 26 next month).

Speaking of pregnancy, a new wine shop opened up near me recently. (LOL, it is related to pregnancy hang on!) While I was browsing around a pregnant woman came in (looked to be pretty close to delivery), and said she was looking for bottles for after she gives birth. She then went on to have this discussion with the two women who run the store about how awful being pregnant is and how you have absolutely no life after you have kids and everything you do is about them, you have no time to yourself, etc. etc. The funny thing is that pretty much every time I am around a pregnant woman, this is the discussion that happens! I was like, maybe I don't want to ever have kids if it's so bad!

Shane - good to "see" you again! Happy birthday!

Barbara - ouch! I hope your black eye heals up soon (I am imagining you putting a steak on it like they do on TV ), and your neck with it.

Allison - I have wanted to try personal training for a long time, but it is soooo $$$$$$$$. In some ways I think I could benefit a lot from talking to someone who understands my limitations, but on the other hand, I just can't justify shelling out that kind of money when I know a lot about fitness on my own.

I made an appointment to take our dog to the vet tomorrow to have his nails clipped. I think they are going to have to sedate him. Poor doggie! I will give him a treat when he's done.

Last edited by paperclippy; 08-18-2008 at 05:01 PM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Jessica~when I was in college I thought I'd never want kids. I got married at 25 and still felt that way. My brother and his wife had a baby shortly after I got married and I still felt that way. Another year later DH's sister had a baby. I think it was about then that I started thinking that a baby might not be too bad after all. I had my DD at 27 and my son at 31. I love my kids to bits but other people's kids? Not so much. I wonder what I'll be like if I'm ever a grandma! I guess as long as I can give them back at the end of the day!!! LOL

Lisa~I really can't remember how long it took before breastfeeding didn't bring tears to my eyes. Probably a couple of weeks or more. After that it was second nature. Thank goodness I never got mastitis, but red, cracked, bleeding breasts weren't much fun either. They say the more you can go topless the faster you get used to it (but there was no way in heck that I could ever do that! Call me a prude!).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Talking Newbie maintainer here

Hello all!

A couple of you already know me from featherweights and I put my intro into the maintainers story.

I see that I'm not the only one who has some whoops weekends with food. This one wasn't so bad as I really underate on Sunday to make up for Saturday night's carryings on . And the Saturday night party involved a lot of low fat cheese and whole wheat pretzels so it wasn't too damaging health-wise .

I look forward to getting to know all of you and leave you with a question.

Do all of you maintain within a range of weight or do you try for just one number ie 130-132 or just 130?

Cheers and hope you all had a reasonable Monday

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote