UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:40 AM   #1  
Hatchling

S/C/G: 160/146/122

Height: 5'2"

Default Alcohol?

Hi again folks

Now that I have introduced myself, out come the skeletons!

I can't control my drinking very well. I am off to a wedding tomorrow and I don't want a repeat of the wedding I went to a fortnight ago, where I passed out and my Boyf had to put me in my room.

Drink is without doubt the single reason why I am not at target, and probably the reason why I piled on the lbs recently. I have gone without drink loads of times as I usually do it in January and once again for Lent. I always feel great, rise earlier, get more done and lose weight effortlessly. Then I start drinking again.

Recently, after joining WW I decided to go for moderation. I bought a bottle and it lasted 4 days...all accounted for in my daily allowance. This is a breakthrough for me.

Now I am really worried about this wedding tomorrow. I have decided to only drink Champagne to toast and a couple of Pimms.

I'd really like to hear success stories from people who have either stopped drinking completely or only have a few on special occasions.

If I could nail this then I'd be at target, I'd eat less rubbish when drunk and be happier for sure.

Your comments & thoughts appreciated

Lou
x louise x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #2  
Hatchling

Thanks for sharing your experience. It has really made me think how my behavior may be perceived. I am nowhere near as rude or as obnoxious as your SIL but I must have been loud.

The Bride and Groom were absolutely fine the next day and we all had a wonderful Breakfast together, looking at photos and telling tales of the night before, so I didn't offend anyone. I just hate it that I can't control my drink after few.

You were very generous in allowing your SIL and the uninvited guests to stay to your lovely sounding reception. I think I would have sent them back to the pub, as you obviously had your reasons for wanting the affair to be civilised.

One other thing you have said which has given me clarity, is the comment about the Hen Night.

I was perfectly sober on the Hen Night as I had lots of studying to do that weekend and I had an absolutely fantastic time. I even danced! So thankyou for reminding me it can be done and it can be fun.

I have decided, from reading your reply, that I am going to stick to my plan of champagne to toast and one drink with the meal. You have given me a lot to think about in terms of my selfish behavior and I WILL report back here on Sunday that I DID IT!

I wish our culture was a little more civilised (Don't get me wrong I'm not one of those you see on 'Booze Britain' TV progs!) But I suppose I don't have to drink just because everyone else is.

Plus! I'm meant to be losing weight! and the Alcohol does not help.
Lou
Old 08-15-2008, 08:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 266/207/136

Height: 5'6''

I don't drink all the time but for the last six months or so I have enjoying going out on the weekend and doing, what I guess you'd call, binge drinking. Just once a week but enough alcohol to sink the titanic, lol. However. two weeks ago I decided to have a month off from drinking all together and I am heading for my third weekend this weekend and I feel soooooooo much better for not drinking. I can't see me not drinking ever again but feeling better is showing me that getting drunk is just not worth it. Once in a while yes, but not regularly.

Not much help to you in your situation, though. Good luck x
gr00vybabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #4  
Hatchling

Thanks for your input

I do that as well.....drink only on one night of the week as I can't afford the time off studies!

It's nice to know you are on your 3rd weekend booze-free. I'm going to change my ways as it's not good for my health, weightloss efforts or self-esteem.

Good luck on your month off.....I did read somewhere that it takes 3 weeks to get out of your system and after this you start to feel wonderful.. I know I do when I have given up in the past.

Lou
Old 08-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #5  
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsqlchick View Post
Slightly off-topic, but I think part of the drinking culture there is due to booze being so cheap. I remember at Sainsbury's you could get generic plonk for next to nothing. Sin taxes were raised constantly on cigarettes because smokers cost the NHS "so much money" (they really don't), but nobody thought about putting up duty on alcohol to pay for liver transplants and cirrhosis treatments. Things that make you go hmmmm...maybe the liquor industry has Gordo's ear.
Tell me about it! I have just got back from Sainsbury's with a lot of Diet tonic and sugar free cordials, diet jamaican beer and other alcohol-free goodies for the picnic I'm attending on Sunday (another planned sober day). The wine was on offer and so was the gin.

It is cheap here.

I think I am weird as I didn't drink underage and didn't really drink much at College. Now I'm working full time and studying full time, I seem to be worse than the teenagers

Lou
Old 08-17-2008, 03:47 PM   #6  
Hatchling

Yay! I did it. Just a few drinks to toast. HAd an amazing day and hope my efforts are rewarded on the scales as well.

Lou
Old 08-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #7  

thats great louise, well done you!!

its interesting that it takes 3 weeks to leave the system because last night i was really wanting a drink!!! it had not bothered me before but for some reason last night it did. I didnt have one though and today spent all day in the pub with friends and drank only water and diet coke!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:29 AM   #8  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

A few years ago I was on the verge of having a drinking problem.

I would drink alone every night - having about half a bottle of Amaretto every night. It was starting to worry me and also didn't help with my weight problem.

So when I started my diet one of things I put on the nono list was alcohol - rather than telling myself I was 'stopping drinking', it was just one more thing I couldn't have because I was dieting. It seemed to help.

I haven't given up drinking altogether but I limit myself and try to have a glass of water or a soft drink between every alcoholic drink.

A couple of months ago I went out with a friend and we drank more or less the same amount but I was absolutely paralytic and I was VERY ill the next day, so ill I couldn't take care of my children and my friend, who had stayed overnight as I was so ill, had to stay for the next day too and look after me and my children. I'm actually worried that in the past I have done some damage to my liver and this is why I can't take my drink any more.

I have never mentioned this to anyone ever - this is the first time I have written it out.

So cut down, before you kill yourself.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:05 AM   #9  

I have to say I respectfully disagree with some of what chick said.

alcohol and dieting do not mix - that is simply not true. I managed to lose 5 stone while still drinking on the weekend.

you dont need alcohol to have a good time - true but but it does help! I have been out a few times without drinking and had the most horrific time ever and ended up coming home because it was so unenjoyable! Not because I was missing the alcohol but because have you ever tried being around everyone as the only sober person?! Also when I have had a drink I lose my inhibitions and will get up and dance without worrying what I look like, and talk to new people without feeling inferior. These are things I realise that need to be addressed without alcohol but we dont live in a perfect world and these are issues of mine.

I am not saying you need to drink to the point of unconsciousness every weekend, but a few drink wont hurt (and a certain small amount of alcohol actually improves circulation and the heart, according to the netdoctor.co.uk)

i think the key, like anything when dieting is moderation. the minute you start obliterating things from your life completely is when trouble starts. (unless of course alcohol is a real problem in which case it could be beneficial to go without, but seek advice from your gp.)
Old 08-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #10  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I think it's simple. I dont want to sound harsh or offend but if you want to lose this weight enough, you'll control the drinking. Theres no magic key, its like all of those women who are obsessed with fatty take out foods... it takes determination and will power. You can do it, but only if you want it enough. Good luck
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #11  
Hatchling

Thanks all for your replies, you have all given food for thought.

I know, hand on heart, that if I stopped drinking I'd lose weight effortlessly. If I drink, even in the allowances for 'dieting' on various plans like SW or WW then my weightloss is very very slow.

I'm hoping that last weekend has shown me that I can have a good tlme om 2 glasses of champers!

I am really interested about the Aisian Flushing Disease as I think some red wines so that to me. I had a sip of red wine and my eyes went blurry, head went light and limbs went numb. I have had this feeling many times before and some reds affect me terribly. I gave the glass to someone else and took it as a sign that I should stick to my original plan!

I would, actually, like to drink only very rarely as I do worry about the damage it does and its affect on my slimming efforts. I do also hate being out and being the only non-drinker. Like Gro00vybabe, I've left early. I sometimes just start off with wine, just to shut them up and then 'lose' the glass and carry on. I find people don't ask after the 1st glass, they just bug you all night if you start the evening by saying you're not drinking.

Watch this space as I'm a work in progress.

Lou
Old 08-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Honestly, I can't imagine a social life that so revolved around alcohol, or friends that tried to get me to drink *more*. That would be a difficult thing indeed. I say this just to point out that it doesn't have to be that way. It's not the only life out there.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #13  
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsqlchick View Post

You could have an allergy to an additive in wine like sulfur dioxide...that is a pretty common sensitivity. If it only happens when you drink wine, then that's probably what it is.
I suspect that is what it is. It only happens with certain red wines, and I can stop drinking the offending glass as a reaction is quite quick.

Thanks for the links on Asian flushing disease, I have a friend who definitely has this and I'll pass the links onto her.

Lou *the alcoholic*
Old 08-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Honestly, I can't imagine a social life that so revolved around alcohol, or friends that tried to get me to drink *more*. That would be a difficult thing indeed.
Neither can I and I live in the UK. However I think the binge drinking culture is one among the younger generation. I'm 44 and seldom drink, Christmas and special occasions and then only one or two glasses. I don't remember ever being pushed to drink alcohol either but then I'm a driver, live out of town and too tight with my money to go by taxi, so I've got the perfect excuse not to drink.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #15  
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Honestly, I can't imagine a social life that so revolved around alcohol, or friends that tried to get me to drink *more*. That would be a difficult thing indeed. I say this just to point out that it doesn't have to be that way. It's not the only life out there.
What is interesting is that it isn't just alcohol that family and friends try and sabotage my weightloss efforts with. Yesterday I was at a Family picnic and my SIL would not accept me politely declining the cheese straws. She eyed me suspiciously and said 'why' when I said no thanks. I was eating the olives, so I wasn't being a complete dieting killjoy. I did explain that I had eaten a full english at the Hotel and wasn't really hungry.

I did get away with not eating a few cakes, but was 'forced' to have a huge slice of birthday cake. Unfortunately I had a bit and the wind caught my plate so the rest ended up on the floor

I do think that some people do get uncomfortable when others are trying to control consumption of either food or alcohol. Perhaps it makes them question their own cake or wine habit.

I think that is a question for another thread, but one I'd like to know the answer to: How do you say 'no' with enough politeness and authority, so that it doesn't get challenged

Lou