Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 08-14-2008, 11:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Default Problem zones

I've lost a little over half of what I need to and am noticing certain problem zones. Meaning areas that look like saggy skin combined with excess flab (more than what is elsewhere). This is not just saggy skin but a combination of the two.

My areas are:

1) Both forward underarm areas. Can't really describe where this is so will show a picture. Pectoralis Major, where it connects to the armpit.
2) Both side rib areas just below lower bra elastic. Latissimus Dorsi area.
3) Lower tummy between belly button and pubic zone. Abdominal area.
4) Inner upper thigh, right leg only. Adductor muscle.

Does anyone else have this issue?
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

You're not alone. I have the same issue. I hear it just takes a while for your skin to catch up with weight lose in some cases (if we're lucky).

I have noticed that as the flab starts to thin out the tissue under my skin feels a lot softer and flabbier. Maybe it's just more noticeable there because the skin tends to be thinner in those areas.

I used to use Nivea skin firming lotion with CO-Q10 and that seemed to help a little bit, but maybe it just made my skin feel nicer. I wonder if taking supplements to boost collegen would help.

Hopefully someone could shed some light on what we can do.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:50 AM   #3  

I did find this website to be a bit helpful.
http://www.buildingbodies.ca/weight-...ose-skin.shtml
Old 08-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #4  

Yeah I read the skin FAQs before I posted this, and I read the stuff you posted.

The two things that were confusing me though were...

1. Why do I have this in my right thigh but not my left?
and
2. I was under the impression the posts were about saggy skin, when mine seem to be more like 'fat pockets'. The rolls on my sides at bra-line? No saggy skin at all, just a roll-like accumulation of excess fat.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #5  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Yes - I have those problem areas. And I consider myself pretty fit and strong.

- My upper arms, if I could just walk around with my biceps flexed 24/7, they would look great!

- My lower tummy. Never had kids, but I have loose skin there which is flabby.

- My thighs. I seem to have more excess skin on my thighs than other parts. If I pull the skin tight, I have these beautiful shapely upper thigh muscles. It just seems like fat and skin on top - so I am hoping that 10 more pounds will come off my legs and not anywhere else.

My concern is - how can fat keep coming off my torso when I can actually see some ribs?
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberlover View Post
- My lower tummy. Never had kids, but I have loose skin there which is flabby.
See, I have 4 daughters so fully expected my lower tummy to look awful. That part I can handle and understand how it got that way...through a combination of lack of exercise, making horrid food choices and carrying 4 beautiful girls to term. While I regret the first two reasons I'll never regret the last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberlover View Post
My concern is - how can fat keep coming off my torso when I can actually see some ribs?
I know, right? I can see my ribs too but I've got this funky roll of fat on both sides at my bra line. It's like...take the normal fat accumulation (because I'm still about 30 lbs from goal weight) and multiply it by 3 and those rolls are that thick. And they are not saggy skin at all.

And why on earth do I have this extra fat and saggy skin on one thigh and not the other? My legs look lopsided! Granted no one can see it but my husband because I don't wear short shorts and I haven't ventured to get a swimsuit yet, but it bothers me!

Ahh well. I'll worry about it after I've been at goal weight for at least 6 months.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 240/235/150

Height: 5'7

My arms are horrible. They're really fat and then I stand straight, my shoulders and arms look like a rounded oval. There's nothing I can do to spot-train so I have to lose overall body weight to see any results. I hate being so self-conscious about, and I always look at other girls' arms and compare.
Fatter Fitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:48 AM   #8  

I'm the same... I have almost no upper body fat left; I can see my rib cage on the upper part of my chest bellow my collar bone. My body has no choice but to use the fat off my thighs.

As far as the lobsided issue... I think we all have that to one degree; the left side of my body is more defined than the right. Though, it wouldn't make sense why my left bood is slightly bigger than the right one.

Oh, do you do single leg exercises? Maybe instead of working out both legs at once we should work them out individually... ?