Old 08-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Good Carbs/Bad Carbs

Hello,
I know a lot of people in calorie counters pay attention to good carbs versus bad carbs. (I don't want to post this in the carb section because I think maybe they don't eat much carbs at all.) I am trying to stay around 100 grams a day. I understand that foods like candy, white bread and white pasta are bad bad carbs and raise insulin levels ect. I am curious about about other carbs like yogurt, low carb bread, whole wheat pasta, Potatoes, Smartones Quesdilla's (LOL).

If something is whole wheat but not whole grain is it still a good carb? I am noticing a lot of whole wheat items do not have a whole lot of fiber in them and this raises my question. hmmmm?

Thanks,

Heather
hmtklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hello from one of those people from the carb section who don't eat much carbs at all
You are correct, foods such as candy, white bread & white pasta are among the "bad bad carbs" as well as white rice, white potatoes, white flour, sugar and most processed foods. All these foods raise insulin levels etc. To avoid this, lots of people attempting to "watch their carbs" turn to the so-called "low carb products". Unfortunately just because it says low carb doesn't mean its better for you. You may want to have a look at this enlightening article regarding low carb marketing:
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php
As for yogurt...I've probably read every label on every yogurt in the supermarket. They are all full of so much sugar...even the plain varieties. Personally, I eat the Dannon Light & Fit carb & sugar control or as an occasional treat, Fage 5% greek yogurt (expensive!). I don't touch low carb bread nor whole wheat pasta or potatoes. I've looked at whole wheat pasta's and the carb count is usually fairly high for the recommended serving size which is typically very small.
Smartone's Quesdilla's...the chicken & cheese variery contain 26 grams of carbs! Seems like a lot to me, might be ok for an occasional treat but...not something to be eaten everyday.
Most whole wheat items don't contain a lot of fiber which is why whole grain is usually a better choice.
Basically, lean meats, veggies, salads, fruits & whole grains are all part of healthy eating. Avoid the "white stuff" its evil

All the best to you!!

JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmtklein View Post
I am curious about about other carbs like.... Smartones Quesdilla's (LOL).
That made me laugh cause I love Smartones Quesdilla's among other things. Shrimp Marinara is my current fav.
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #4  
Go Cubs Go!

S/C/G: Too/Effing/Much!

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdiem4994 View Post
That made me laugh cause I love Smartones Quesdilla's among other things. Shrimp Marinara is my current fav.

Have you tried their Feista Beans and Rice? Yum.
Rain Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #5  

I just bought some yesterday! And I agree, yum! Sorry, I'm not help with the good carb/bad carb thing. I'm totally focused on the yummy smart ones.
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:45 PM   #6  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

Well, I'm not a carb counter but I do prefer whole grain products better then processed "white" products mainly do to the fact that they stick with me longer and don't cause me to have sugar crashes. When selecting a whole wheat bread, make sure the at the first ingredient is a whole grain or whole wheat, some products that are "whole wheat" have the first ingrediant of "enriched flour" which, in my book, doesn't cut it. If it was "whole" you wouldn't have to enrich it.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
If something is whole wheat but not whole grain is it still a good carb? I am noticing a lot of whole wheat items do not have a whole lot of fiber in them and this raises my question. hmmmm?
You may already know, but beware "wheat flour" which does not mean whole wheat flour.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #8  
Justin

S/C/G: 166/140/132

Height: 5' 7"

I didn't know the difference either so i decided to do some research and i thought i would post this lil article here too.

Whole Grain Vs. Whole Wheat

We have all seen it, 100% whole wheat bread that sits next to the white bread. It looks like white bread, but it says enriched.

When wheat is harvested the whole grain is taken to the refinery. The wheat is heated to a point when the germ and the bran fall off. What is left is the starch, the white part, the not good for you part.

After the refinery takes the grains apart and makes white flour, which has no nutrition, they add some vitamins, some minerals, and some fiber, but not even a gram worth. The white bread is enriched with some of the very things they just worked so hard to take out. However, they do not add in as much of the grain they take away, otherwise it would be whole grain. Just enough to add some flavor and calories to it.

What is whole grain? It is the WHOLE grain used in the process of making bread, cereal and the building blocks of many other foods. For it to be truly healthy whole grain needs to be listed on your bread, cereal or other food in the number 1 or number 2 position on the ingredients list.

No, whole wheat flour which is followed by (enriched white flour, niacin, and iron) is not healthy, it is a way of making people believe that they are getting a whole grain bread. They are not lying, it is whole wheat flour, but not whole grain. It did come from the wheat plant and it is all wheat, but not all grain. Whole is just another word like all. If you look a little farther down on the list you will see molasses, why molasses you ask? It colors the bread to make it look brown. Yup, white flour plus vitamins and minerals still does not bring the bran back into the bread. Bran is what helps to give the natural brown color to bread. So, they again, add something to it, to try and make it look like something it is not.

whole wheat = white flour + vitamins/minerals + molasses

whole grain = whole grain..with all the natural properties it contains such as Low GI.

so don't be fooled by whole wheat, buy whole grain.
ndnguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #9  

Kim I was hoping you would reply - you always have such great answers! Congrats on the 102 pounds - you obviously know what you are doing.

Thanks everyone else for clearing up my confusion on whole grain bread vs whole wheat- I can't wait to get home and see how my low carb bread stacks up.

Cdeim4994 and raindancer - both of those smartones are way too yummy. Unfortunately I think the smartones are stalling my weightloss ...sob...sob...

Does anyone know if apples are good carbs?
hmtklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:28 AM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Does anyone know if apples are good carbs?
Since I'm on Atkins, I restrict my carbs well below 100 which I believe is what you said you would be aiming for.

An apple (with skin) contains 21 carbs and wouldn't be permitted on Atkins until you are in the Pre-Maintenance phase at which time half an apple is recommended. I certainly believe having an apple would be a healthier choice for a snack or dessert than those WW desserts out there on the market. So, yes...I believe apples would be considered "good carbs"
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Any sort of fruit or vegetable is considered a good carb...as long as it isn't canned in heavy syrup.

Fruit would only be considered something to severely limit if you ARE following a low carb plan. If you are a calorie counter, and eating a nice balance of protein, fat, and carbs...then there is no need to worry about it.

I try to eat fruit, veggies, oatmeal, brown rice, and SMALL amounts of whole grain bread for most of my carb intake.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:58 AM   #12  

This is a great thread. I've been looking for good carb information. The whole wheat/whole grain thing has always confused me. You cleared this up!
Thank you!
alwaysadieter is offline   Reply With Quote