Old 08-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #1  

Default Decent Scale

Yesterday I went and bought a food scale and a weight scale. I spent too much on the food scale, but it has nutrition info stored into it for '1,000 items' I'm hoping it's all the fruits and veggies that I'm never sure about.

I bought the only digital scale that didn't offer BMI measurements. (I just can't believe a scale can really measure bmi, it feels like a scam to me). I spent $20 and was excited this morning when I unpacked it. Weighing myself was gonna be part of my daily routine.

At Curves on Monday I weighed 188. On this scale, I weighed 178. Hmmm, curious. I decide it doesn't really mattter if it's off by a piddling *cough* 10 pounds. So I get off and get on again. It says 179.5. I tried it a few more times and it gave me several different readings. It's going back to Target today. I'm so irritated.

Other tha wanting to rant, I'm looking for suggestions. I'd like digital because I think it would read more accurately. And I'd like to not spend $50 if possible. But I want something that is gonna read the same every time I get on it. That doesn't seem like an unreasonable expectation to me.
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:00 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! First, the scale has to be on a solid floor, not on a carpet--you knew that. And it has to be level--that is, the scale shouldn't rock at all.

Sadly, the better scales do cost money. But I have a Tanita scale that does quite well. It has BMI and water percentage--I pay more attention to the water percentage, because the BMI varies widely depending on how hydrated I am. But the weight part is fine. Mine did cost $50, but they have models without the BMI etc. for around $35.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #3  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

I have just a plain old digital scale that i bourht at target for $35. I traced the outline of my feet onto the scale so that everytime i get on it im in the same spot. I noticed depending on where i stood my weight was different.
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #4  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

We have an expensive digital scale at work and it varies as much as 10 pounds depending on where I stand on it and how I stand (weight on heels weighs more than weight toward my toes). I think my present to myself when I hit my goal weight will be a good scale for at home so I can be sure I'm maintainin' and not gainin'. In the meantime, I'll use the one at work but now that I know it's secrets I always stand the same way for my weigh ins.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #5  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Another vote for the Tanita scale. Mine is very consistent.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:17 PM   #6  
Justin

S/C/G: 166/140/132

Height: 5' 7"

bmi is easy to calculate. all you need is weight and height..so no it's not a scam..lol

bodyfat on the other hand is not very accurate at all. i wouldn't buy a scale to monitor bodyfat.

also here's an important point to remember when buying cheap digital weight scales: they have a memory effect.

what that means is, say you get on and it says 140. u then drink a cup of water..in reality you just went up to 140.4 or something but on the scale it wont go up. it will still say 140.
why? because the scale knows the last reading was 140 and the new reading is not significant enough to warrant a new reading. this is done to make the cheap scales look more accurate in terms of repeatability. because if you stepped on the scale 4 times..it should say 140 each time. some scales have shown memory effect of one pound.. that's every significant to someone who is trying to lose weight.

want the best weight scale? get Omron. this is what healthcare providers use. this is what i have and i love it. in fact it's so accurate i have to wear the same clothing every day or it's +/- 0.2-0.4lbs.

sssh..i started doing butt naked measurements LOL...good thing i live by myself!

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-400-...8766323&sr=1-1

you will thank me later!
ndnguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote