Old 08-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/132.5/125

Height: 5'4 3/4

Default is cheese really the devil? maybe.

i was so good all day, but then the cheese winked at me +_+.....

i ate great and went to the gym, but immediately after eating a healthy dinner of lean pork and salad my eyes and stomach tricked me into thinking i wanted and needed the cheese and crackers.....ugh, now my stomach is paying for it. i even took my full dose of lactaid.....

how bad --really-- is cheese for you? is it bad fat? i need some cheese facts!

i get so ticked off when i give in at the end of a great day.....what are some good ways to come back after a lapse??
BlueParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For me, cheese is not the devil, unless it pairs up with crackers (crackers are really evil and can get "good" cheese into a lot of trouble. Poor innocent cheese, being corrupted by evil, delinquent crackers).

Seriously though, for me high carb foods, especially when combined with fat are a trigger food. An ounce of cheese is a nice snack when I eat it alone or with some veggies or a small piece of fruit, but with crackers I can eat a days worth of calories in a few minutes (I swear, it's the evil, evil crackers).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #3  

it's true what you say about the deadly combo of cheese and carbs....i dont know how many calories i ate, but it was definitely a blind binge....

probably something like 8 pieces of cheese and 2 flatbread multigrain crackers.....oooooh devilish things.......somehow i knew i was going to be a bad bad girl.....yarg!!!!

i just hate when i get weak.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #4  
losing and schmoozing

S/C/G: 175/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6"

Cheese doesn't pose a particular problem for me.

I like Laughing Cow Cheese Bites - they're tiny cubes of creamy Swiss cheese, only 7 calories each. Nice when I want just a bite of cheese!
cornellchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #5  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Ouch- 8 pieces of cheese is the devil. Cheese is good for you and I definitely eat it but you really need to watch the quantity. Measure it- it will shock you- 1 oz of cheddar cheese (small 1/4 inch thick rectangle-size of 1/2 stoned wheat thin) (probably what you would have on 2 small crackers) is 90 calories, 6 g of saturated fat, 1 carb, 7 g protein. So it is all about quantity. I will often have a low fat cheese string- 50 cals 5 g protein 3 g fat- no question it is not as tasty as pure cheddar but if I am hungry it goes further.
Hope that helps.
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #6  

oh god.....those are scary numbers! it's weird because i rarely crave cheese, but tonight i was ravenous.....i must've been lacking something i needed....

is laughing cow processed cheese?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #7  
Changing for the better

A little low-fat cheese won't hurt you once in a while - you can pair it with whole-grain bread on a sandwich, an apple or grapes (I LOVE fruit and cheese together!), or mix low-fat cottage cheese with fruit, like pineapple, for a healthy snack. Just don't overdo it! Also, sprinkling some feta or mozzarella on a salad is delicious as well......throw in some strawberries, toasted nuts, and a little dressing and you have dinner!
Kitegirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Yep, laughing cow is processed cheese food, more than real cheese, it has about the same texture as velveeta light.

Most cheese slices are about an ounce, though some cheeses are more dense than others. For example, cream cheese gives you a bit more volume for the ounce.

I tend to pick real cheeses that are very strong tasting, and either have them sliced paper thin at the deli (thin enough that each slice is about 1/4 to 1/5 of an ounce), or buy them shredded or grated or shred or grate them at home.

I LOVE blue cheeses, and an ounce or even a half ounce goes pretty far on a salad. Asiago cheese too, is pretty strong so a half ounce grated seems alot more than an ounce of other cheeses.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:26 AM   #9  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i love cheese, could never see it as the devil everything in moderation though, there are definately (mental ) benefits to it but like anything else you can have unhealthy amounts
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:06 AM   #10  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

I think cheese is actually one of the better fats you can have in your body so unless you REALLY overdo it, it's fine. Actually, about 30g a day is pretty good for you I think... it also helps you feel less like snacking and fuller for longer.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:01 AM   #11  

it definitely did make me feel full....:O|

i guess i was just more annoyed that i'd been doing well all day and then i just shoved this [in all reality not-so-bad] snack into my face....

i'm such a cheese ignoramus so it's good to learn about all these cheese factoids....feta is a fave of mine, but the salt content is high, right?

bottom line is always "everything in moderation".....i hear it in my sleep...!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:57 AM   #12  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I'm the same way -- I can crave a piece of cheese, have a small piece of it, and then put it back in the refridgerator, walk away, and not think about it anymore. BUT if I eat it with some crackers, I will keep hitting up the cracker box until, you know, it's empty.

For me, the crackers are like a gateway drug which can lead to binging either on more crackers or on cereal (my BIG binge food).

Anyways, I wouldn't worry about having a piece of cheese -- cheese is delicious and contains calcium and, I think, some protein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
For me, cheese is not the devil, unless it pairs up with crackers (crackers are really evil and can get "good" cheese into a lot of trouble. Poor innocent cheese, being corrupted by evil, delinquent crackers).

Seriously though, for me high carb foods, especially when combined with fat are a trigger food. An ounce of cheese is a nice snack when I eat it alone or with some veggies or a small piece of fruit, but with crackers I can eat a days worth of calories in a few minutes (I swear, it's the evil, evil crackers).
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:01 AM   #13  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I love most cheeses, but my favorites are: feta, FRESH mozzarella (hand-made at a deli out of mozzarella curd, OMG talk about amazing), provalone, fontina and ricotta salata (eating). Since I can usually stop eating cheese after only a small cube of it, I usually don't concern myself too much with their calorie/salt/fat content. But when I do choose to have a cracker or a piece of bread, I usually scrutinize the label -- if there's too much sugar in there, I will usually skip it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Yep, laughing cow is processed cheese food, more than real cheese, it has about the same texture as velveeta light.

Most cheese slices are about an ounce, though some cheeses are more dense than others. For example, cream cheese gives you a bit more volume for the ounce.

I tend to pick real cheeses that are very strong tasting, and either have them sliced paper thin at the deli (thin enough that each slice is about 1/4 to 1/5 of an ounce), or buy them shredded or grated or shred or grate them at home.

I LOVE blue cheeses, and an ounce or even a half ounce goes pretty far on a salad. Asiago cheese too, is pretty strong so a half ounce grated seems alot more than an ounce of other cheeses.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:21 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I'm really cutting back on my dairy, and I'm thinking I will take the same approach to cheese as I do with dessert - only when it's the very best!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #15  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

ooooh, ahhhhh, cheese....
I'm a bonafide cheesaholic. But, I'm in cheese recovery. I use goat cheese, which is surprisingly low in fat and calories and tastes nice and goaty. I prefer the stonger funkier tasting cheeses...I like to TASTE my cheese. Sharp, pungent...mmmmm. You def have to watch that cracker though...they can ruin a good cheese high. I usually just use saltine crackers cause you can eat 5 of them for 60 cals. I like laughing cow cheese too, take 5 laughing cow squares (35 calories for all) and five saltines (60 calories) and theres a good under 100 cal snack.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote