Old 08-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Smile Hello again...

Hi everyone,

Well after spending the last few days scouring 3FC, I think this is the support group I'd fit into best. Is it alright if I join you? *smile*

I posted an introduction in the general area, but thought it might be helpful to copy it here just in case. I'm really looking forward to being here and hope I can be of some encouragement, and can gather some, from time to time.

Best wishes!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello everyone,

What a cool site. I'd been looking for a weightloss 'forum' for a while. I've even tried a couple, including Sparkpeople (which is really cool... just not really my style I guess... ). Anyway, I've been lurking here for a while and this place just seems to 'fit', so I'm really pleased to be here!

I've been overweight most of my life. A clean plate as I was growing up got all kinds of rewards. I still have to work hard not to do this to my own kids. For a long time, my weight really didn't bother me. My mom struggled so much with her weight, and in fact was one of the first people in Ohio to have weight loss surgery. It never worked for her, despite the fact that she had the surgery three times. She lost her battle with obesity when she passed away at the age of 58.

I'm now 43 and I've had a couple of potentially serious health issues over the last couple of years. I think these experiences finally got my attention. I want to live beyond the age of 58. (My mom's mom *also* died at age 58 of a heart attack.). I want to live. And, I want to lead a life of quality. I want to be comfortable, able to move and do the things I want to do.

I've been doing a lot of reading. I guess I still don't know what an ideal weight for me will be, because I've never experienced it. I officially started on August 1 at 213.5 lbs. I am going to stay off the scale for the most part and let my clothes tell me the rest of the story. However, since I knew I was going to introduce myself here today, I did step on the scale and it already moved down a little. So far, I'm keeping a food diary and working out between 30-40 minutes per day doing cardio and weight lifting. I'm keeping track of calories, fat, protein, carbs and fiber. I love fruits and veggies. But, the numbers tell me I'm eating too much protein and not enough fiber. I've got to work on finding a balance.

As a side note, I'm very fortunate to have a husband who supports my efforts by bringing brie into the house only TWICE a month (grrr.. he can eat anything he wants and stays slim...). And, I have two great kiddos who do not have to clean their plates (and I promise not to do it for them!).

Anyway, hello, I'm Beth and it's very nice to meet you all!
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/161/144

Height: 5'9"

Hey, Beth! You seem to have a really good start! You're well informed, and have a great attitude, that'll make it easier for you to do well. Try measuring yourself, and using that as a way to keep track.. If inches make you nervous, just use string, cut off and labelled with the part of you you're measuring. Then, if you feel you've hit a plateau later, you can compare yourself to your 'old' measurements.
Glad you've decided to join!

P.S. Yes, men are awful! (for their metabolisms!)

Last edited by Kofarq; 08-12-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Kofarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi Kofarq! Thanks so much for the warm welcome! I LOVE the measurement idea. I did take my measurements on August 1, but I may cut the string anyway just to have a visual aid.

May I ask, if you see this again, I love that little avatar thing you have. I think I saw the site a long time ago. Do you mind sharing the URL/site name? I'd love to make a little skinny Beth to see. *grin*

And best wishes for your upcoming wedding! You Go with those toned arms, Girl!
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #4  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 194.6/188.2/135

Height: 5'2"

Welcome Beth! It sounds like you're off to a great start, both with your results and especially with your attitude! Congratulations.

It's tough changing so much in your life, but we're all going through this together here, and that really helps a lot.

Carol
Carrie3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #5  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Hi Beth and welcome to the 40's group.

Pop in the chat thread lots of support.
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote