Old 08-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #1  
One pound at a time.

S/C/G: 238.2/186.2/150

Height: 5ft 4in

Default I adopted a kitten yesterday.

We went to an animal rescue foundation adoption at Petco yesterday.

We had been looking for a kitten for a while but never found one that clicked with us. Now we have "Lucky". She is 9 weeks old. She was very affectionate and took to us right away. It turns out she is lucky to be alive. She was found in a hefty bag with 8 other kittens and they had been shot with a BB gun. Only 2 survived. Lucky has a graze on her forehead and her ear and is doing very well, no ill effects.

My grandpa always had cats but we are novices with cats. We got through the night and she is getting to know all of us. I'm going out today to pick up a few things. She is eating well and using her litter box.

I wasn't sure what to do with her last night when we went to bed. So I stayed downstairs with her until she was comfortable. She actually slept on the couch beside me until I went upstairs. I was wondering should I buy her a bed or just let her sleep where she is comfortable?

Any advice is welcome as I am new to this
Clydegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #2  
Stay at Home Mommy

S/C/G: 312/312/160

Height: 5'5"

Cats will sleep where they want, when they want. There's no need to buy her a bed, as she will sleep on the couch, floor, laundry basket, on your bed, on the window, etc. ^^ What you should buy your kitty, (and they only cost about $5), is a cardboard scratcher. Mine love them. A couple of toys (mine like the balls with bells in them and the "fishing pole") to help keep her active is a good choice too. ^^

I've had cats all my life, and got my first two (on my own) about two years ago. They don't scratch anything they aren't supposed to and are quite well trained. xD If there's anything you wanna know, feel free to PM me. ^^
stariankyonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

Aww congratulations!! Living without furbabies is crap :P

I would definitely invest in some paper bags from your grocery stores or anywhere you can get them now. They make for hours of entertainment for kittens and cats. Also, empty tissue boxes are great for kittens to hide in. I would invest in scratching posts and kitten treats. Don't forget that all important collar with your address on it, or better yet, microchip her!! ^_^

<3
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #4  
One pound at a time.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm about to go to Petsmart and Wal-Mart will have a look for a scratcher.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #5  
I LOVE my furbabies!

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'9"

I got a really great 'tree' thing for my cats... it's 8 feet tall and has three levels on it (perfect b/c I have 3 cats) and it only cost me about 40 bucks and it is a great investment!! Only one of my cats has front claws the other two were declawed by their 1st owners... but he is the most destructive one and use to claw anything and everything including my bed... but now he claws his tree and nothing else!! I got it at Kmart... might be able to find it at walmart or somewhere else... oh and definitely get some CAT NIP... some kitty crack! lol they love it... little bit goes a long way... I crush it up and put it on their tree and scratch boxes when i buy them... I also put it in an old sock and tie it in a knot... omg they LOVE the cat nip sock!! ALSO a laser pointer... these are an easy way to entertain your cat for hours on end... but don't shine it in its eyes b/c it can hurt their eyes... I shine it on the walls, floor, and ceiling... they love it... I hope you enjoy your new kitten as much as I enjoy my 3 furbabies... BTW What did you name him or her?
net knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #6  
One pound at a time.

She's called Lucky. A cute kittle grey tabby.