Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-08-2008, 01:29 AM   #1  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Default great workout wear = great workout

Hello all,

Just wanted to put my two cents in about workout wear. My husband kinda rolls his eyes at me because I always get really concerned about what I wear to work out. He just grabs any old t-shirt and shorts or sweatpants. I just can't do that. I find that if I have a decently coordinated outfit on, I a)feel a little more confident and less self-conscious at the gym and, b)have a much better workout.

It's hard enough being larger but there's no way I'm going in with a giant baggy t-shirt down to my knees right now. Back in April when I joined a brand new gym and started working out seriously, I went to www.shopadidas.com - I love Adidas and have always enjoyed their shoes for the cushioning, and they tend to fit my feet the best. I was impressed to see that they did have some plus size items (they only have about 10 items to choose from though!). I've been working out hard since then. The sizes go from 1x-3x...and the shirts aren't baggy, they are still shaped and very slightly fitted so there's good movement.

I know it's kind of silly, but it really helps me. Now that I've lost a little weight it's not so bad if laundry isn't done and I grab a fitted t-shirt...but especially in the beginning when I was much more self-conscious, it helped me feel like I looked okay. And it's nice to feel them getting looser. As I lose weight, I have decided to get myself something from that site each 15 pounds I lose. I desperately needed a new gym bag so at my first 15 I did that; at -30 a couple of the plus size workout bras, on sale right now in the outlet store.

Anyone else feel the same?

Last edited by Girlie; 08-08-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Girlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:39 AM   #2  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

ive only ever really worked out at home....
i started with tshirt and track pants....
but now im gettin smaller ive moved onto....
a vest top and some of those tiny shorts....
altho my legs dont look the best in them they are cool and easy to work out and move in....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #3  
aka Wendi (it's shorter!)

S/C/G: 215/203/155

Height: 5'6"

I totally agree- when I start losing motivation, I usually buy myself a new workout outfit. 1) it makes me feel like I'd better workout, cause I just spent money on it and 2) it makes me feel more like "a runner" or whatever, more like someone who should be there
Asynchronous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #4  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I agree with you, I like to wear semi-decent workout clothes. I did start in the baggy Tshirts because of course I had nothing better but I felt very inadequate (for lack of a better word) next to the ladies in nice tank tops etc.
Now, after I lost 30 pounds, it is a bit easier (as I can also wear regular Tshirts that I abandoned years ago) but I am constantly on the lookout for something nice for the gym. Unfortunately, even the sports store here have hardly anything that I like but I keep checking at Winners every time I am there.

On the issue of a sports bra - when I started exercising, I was debating whether I should splurge on a sports bra. What stopped me is the fact that out of 10 bras there is usually one that fits me so buying online is kinda not really for me and besides, returning stuff across the border (I am in Canada) is not something I want to get into (you lose money on it big time).
I actually bought a cheap cotton bra at Zellers (think Walmart) that I have wear when I exercise on threadmill and I am SO HAPPY with it. The best thing is that it cost $17 plus tax. But now, it is beginning to be a bit a too big so I will probably go and see if I can get the same on in a smaller size.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Oh, I agree! DH rolls his eyes at me when I say I "have" to go to Sports Authority. My problem right now is my drawer is full of running outfits that seem to me to be a bit skimpy for the gym. Oh, no!! I guess I have to go shopping this weekend. DH?--too bad (he didn't join the gym with me so he can't get new clothes).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #6  
this one's for life

S/C/G: 141/139/120

Height: 5'4"

Totally inspired by this thread, I just went to Champion's online store and bought a bunch of colorful shorts (buy 2 get one free!) and some tank tops. I'm always scrambling in the morning to figure out what to bring with me (I go to the gym on the way home from work) that'll be halfway decent and clean... haha definitely time to get some new clothes!
chickennugget126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #7  
Bacon Girlie

oh yay, I'm not the only one.

I tell my husband that I can't have enough workout stuff...especially bras. I've given up on trying to find the "perfect" one, I just wear two firm-hold "uniboob" bras at one time. I hope these adidas bras work well. I've lost weight in my chest and now my 40DD's are D's and they really sag...sigh. So two bras are needed, but a nice firm hold.

Considering I work out 6-7 days per week, I always have to have workout clothes ready to go - and doing laundry every other day is wasteful with water and not realistic. If I always have the clothes ready to go, it's easy to pack my gym bag the night before.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:01 PM   #8  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

I workout at a gym. I don't bother too much with what I wear, as long as it's comfy and the shorts or pants don't ride up when I run. I bought the best pants ever at Target, they are $29 and worth every penny in my opinion. They are soft and have duo dry speeds evaporation to help keep you dry and they really do stay dry, well at least for me but, I do sweat quite a bit.

These are the pants and I highly recommend buying a pair!

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0013Z5S2G
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #9  

Hi Everyone! I am new to this forum so I just wanted to say HI and add some helpful information since I totally agree that if you want to feel good and have a great workout, you need to have great workout clothing! I found this site that has really cute workout stuff for women! The name of the company is Plus Size Athletic Wear and their website is the same as the name of the company with no spaces. If you just Google the company name, the link comes up. Anyways, I was browsing through their selection and I was pretty impressed! I know how difficult it is to find decent plus size workout clothing that actually looks good. They also carry this one sports bra by Enell that provides some great support and looks good too! I hope this helps some of you out when you are trying to find cute workout clothing and don't know where to start looking!
soon2bmrsgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/173/140

Height: 5'8

oh my gosh - i have the exact opposite problem in my house - my dbf has a TON of workout gear and i am usually stealing his and he just keeps buying more or his sisters are always buying it for him! he has all the great dry fit stuff... but i have started to purchase my own clothes.. yay! and now my next goal is to be able to wear the cute short nike shorts when running and not have them ride up! i have found some really great deals in dri -fit shirts and shorts at target and wal-mart - i can't work out in cotton anymore - it rubs in not fun places!
crownshape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #11  
Bringin' sexy back!!

S/C/G: 222.6/181.6/155

Height: 5'5

I find it motivating to buy workout clothes. My thing now is sports bras. I order them from ebay and when they come in the mail I am eager to put it on and workout. Kind of weird but hey whatever works!
crazy4weightloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I definitely agree. It gives you more energy and endurance .

I am mostly making do with old stuff because I keep growing out of things and I don't have loads of spare money. But I will not do the baggy tee and baggy pants.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 08-19-2008 at 02:39 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #13  
Booty-Tron

S/C/G: 165/131/130

Height: 5'4"

i do workout DVDs at home, and i usually just wear a sports bra and my underwear.

i've been obsessed with mesh shorts lately... they dry quickly, they are comfy, they have an elastic waistband for movement, and they breathe (which is good because summer is Wisconsin is hot). since i feel better about my legs at this point, i like to show them off!
painted lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:36 PM   #14  
Bacon Girlie

My problem with pants is that they are always too long. Sigh.

I have a pair of mesh shorts from the adidas store but I haven't gotten the courage to wear them to work out in yet. I don't know whether they're going to ride up while I'm on the elliptical.

But I love bermuda length workout shorts - they fall just below the knee and are not too baggy but not tight like capris. Now that I don't feel like I have "cankles" anymore, I don't mind showing my calves.

Terrible, I know.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #15  

I have the exact opposite problem with pants! Mine are always too short! I have resorted to wearing capris to deal with that problem since I feel weird when my pants are too short to be pants but too long to be capris!
soon2bmrsgraham is offline   Reply With Quote