Old 08-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 286/ticker/180

Height: 5'6

Default Menu Help?

Okay I'm not sure I'm doing the WW plan right! I know it's simple...add the points. However I think I'm eating more of the wrong foods to get my points and not enough of the right foods. I'm going to post what I ate for the last two day, if anyone has any suggestions on what I should do to add more healthy options it would be great...or any thing you feel you should point out! I will not be offended, I just need help!

Tuesday:
36 Points Daily

Breakfast:
Breakfast quesadilla (4)
1 cup ff milk (2)
1 cup cherries (1)

After work out snack:
1 large banana (2)

Lunch:
1/2 cup baby carrots (0)
Italain bean soup (8) 3 cups

Dinner:
Italian bean soup (4) 1.5 cup
small orange (.5)

Snacks:
cheerio snack mix- whole grain (2)
WW lemon bar (2)
fudge (3)
1 cup grapes (1)
cheerio snack mix (2)
hostess 100 cal carrot cake (1)
WW candy (2)
small orange (.5)
WW yogurt (1)

Today
Breakfast"
Breakfast quesadilla (4)
1 cup ff milk (2)
1 cup cherries (1)
1 cup grapes (1)

Afterworkout snack:
1 large banana (2)

Lunch:
Italian bean soup (4)
baby carrots 1/2 cup (0)
salad (0)
balsamic vinegar (0)
olive oil (1)

Dinner:
asparagus risotto (4)

Snacks:
carrot cake (1)
WW yogurt (1)
2 small oranges (1)
fudge (3)
1 cup grapes (1)
popcorn (1)
snack mix (3)
snack mix (3)
milk (2)
cherries (1)

*My snacks are from after lunch until dinner. I "cram" a lot in during that time to meet my points.

Any suggestions? Or things you think I should change? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by xMeaganx; 08-06-2008 at 03:05 PM.
xMeaganx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:06 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I wouldn't waste my points on stuff like fudge, cheerio mix, weight watchers cakes and bars, snack mix, candy... at least not daily! Once and a while for a treat. But I see them multiple times both days.

Tuesday you have 12 points worth of candy, cakes and snack mixes.
Wednesday you have 10 points worth.

But how do you feel? Do you feel like you are eating enough or are you still hungry? Also, the Italain bean soup is very high in points - but is it filling?

To me - I would hate to waste most of my points on 'crap' food that doesn't fill me up. Not all calories are the same. Sure a cake is only 2 points but you could have a can of tuna for that and it would be much more filling and healthier. Add some wasa crackers for 1 point and you have a very filling snack rather then candy or something.

Check out the planning thread - you might get some good ideas

Last edited by sotypical; 08-06-2008 at 02:09 PM.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #3  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 312.0/ticker/212.0

Height: 6'0"

That looks fabulous!! You are getting your healthy guidelines in, I see alot of fruits and veggies and milk. Be sure to get in your healthy oils too!!

If you are eating that and not hungry you are doing great, I have a little more protein in my diet just cause I find that if I don't have alot I get really hungry.

Here is what I ate yesterday: (I get 37 points a day)
Coffee (1)
Turkey Sausage, Egg White on an English Muffin (5)
Banana Peanut Butter wrap (7)
1 Cup Low Fat Milk (2)
Tuna Salad from Subway (8)
Fiber One Bar (2)
Chicken Quesidillas with fat free chese (7)
Lettuce, tomatoes, black olives, salsa (1)
Olive Oil to cook the chicken in (2)
1 Cup Low Fat milk (2)

Today so far is:
Coffee (1)
Oatmeal (4)
1 Cup low fat milk (2)
Progresso Country Veggie Soup (3)
Saltines (3)
Fiber One Bar (2)
Sugar Free Hot Cocoa (1)
and I what I have planned for the rest of the day is:
Baked Veggie Wheat Thins (3)
Fat Free Yogurt (2)
Filet Mignon (will decide how much I will have when I get home and see how many points I have left)
Salad with Oil and Vinegar dressing (2)
Baked Potato (again will decide on the amount)
and I intend on having a glass of wine tonight also (4)
steph0320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #4  
Stephanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical View Post
I wouldn't waste my points on stuff like fudge, cheerio mix, weight watchers cakes and bars, snack mix, candy... at least not daily! Once and a while for a treat. But I see them multiple times both days.....Tuesday you have 12 points worth of candy, cakes and snack mixes.
Wednesday you have 10 points worth......To me - I would hate to waste most of my points on 'crap' food that doesn't fill me up.
Don't be so hard on her She and I both get a lot more points than you daily so sometimes to get the points in I eat a high point splurge or some days I do find that I snack alot all day. I do agree with you that you should try to make healthier choices though Because when you do loose a point every 10 pounds, you will eventually be into those days where you have to live off 20 points per day.

The main thing is to plan your day, fill your menu with your 5 fruits and veggies, your dairy, healthy oils, some good protein. Then from there fill it in with what you want to get your points in for the day. One thing I just found (from the planning thread) was adding nuts (almonds, pistachois) to add some points. They are high points and are good for you.

Just my two cents.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #5  

Thanks steph and sotypical. My problem is I am not hungry and have to eat through all these points. I pick high points items to do that. I also feel like I can't do this diet because I lack the skills to plan out how to meet my points without having a lot of "crap foods". Even now as I plan for tomorrow I have eleven points left and enough food to fill me up....

tomorrow
Smart start (3)
1 cup ff milk (2)
1 cup grapes (1)
1 large banana (1)
risotto (4)
salad w/ olive oil (1)
1 cup cherries (1)
1 cup ff milk (2)
1 string cheese (2)
soup (4)
1 cup ff milk (2)
salad w/ olive oil (1)
.... this is enough to fill me up and I still have to put in 11 more points! I'm also not a milk drinker but I've added it in to boost points.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #6  
Stephanie

Change to whole milk for the time being, or add some chocolate syrup to your low fat milk. I don't see much protein either. Add a chicken breast to dinner or to you lunch salad. Also you may want to try the almonds at the end of the day.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMeaganx View Post
Okay I'm not sure I'm doing the WW plan right! I know it's simple...add the points. However I think I'm eating more of the wrong foods to get my points and not enough of the right foods. I'm going to post what I ate for the last two day, if anyone has any suggestions on what I should do to add more healthy options it would be great...or any thing you feel you should point out! I will not be offended, I just need help!

Tuesday:
36 Points Daily

Breakfast quesadilla (4)
1 cup ff milk (2)
1 cup cherries (1)
small orange (.5)
1 large banana (2)
1/2 cup baby carrots (0)
Italain bean soup (8) 3 cups
WW yogurt (1)
Italian bean soup (4) 1.5 cup
small orange (.5)
cheerio snack mix- whole grain (2)
WW lemon bar (2)
fudge (3)
1 cup grapes (1)
cheerio snack mix (2)
hostess 100 cal carrot cake (1)
WW candy (2)

Today
Breakfast quesadilla (4)
1 cup ff milk (2)
1 cup cherries (1)
1 cup grapes (1)
1 large banana (2)
Italian bean soup (4)
baby carrots 1/2 cup (0)
popcorn (1)
salad (0)
balsamic vinegar (0)
olive oil (1)
1 cup grapes (1)
asparagus risotto (4)
carrot cake (1)
WW yogurt (1)
2 small oranges (1)
fudge (3)
snack mix (3)
snack mix (3)
milk (2)
cherries (1)

Any suggestions? Or things you think I should change? Thanks in advance!
Meagan,

Looks like you're getting in lots of fruits & veggies, which is great! I still sometimes struggle to get those in.

You need to get in all your points, but if you're wanting to cut down on snacky things (or aren't being well-filled on those), a couple other things can help you meet your daily points requirement. Often, I've seen on this board the recommendation to not worry about fat-free and low fat dairy products if you have a good number of points to play with. Go ahead and have some 2% milk instead of skim, if you prefer the taste. With your cheeses, go for full-fat (and full-flavor, lol). Eat regular yogurt (Breyer's or Yoplait custard-style, here you come!) rather than the 1 point WW yogurt. Have some ranch dip with your raw veggies. You don't necessarily have to increase volume to increase your points, you know? I love the full-fat versions of cheese and yogurt, prefer 4% fat cottage cheese to fat-free or light...but I'm at 26 points, so have to watch those.

Make sure you are getting in some protein. Try adding some cottage cheese, chicken, lean steak, lunch meat, or egg, to your salad at lunch. That will use up some points as well, and could prove to be more filling and nutrient-dense.

Steph is also right that snacking on nuts could help. Nuts can be decently filling, and use some extra points.

What are you eating for dinners? Something balanced, that includes a lean protein, a healthy carb and a veggie, would fill you up and would likely take up about 8-10 points.

Perhaps we could help you with the balance thing if you broke things down and showed us what you're eating for each meal. If you did that, maybe we could make some suggestions for how you can supplement certain things to meet your points.

Last edited by luvmyfam; 08-06-2008 at 02:59 PM.
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMeaganx View Post
Thanks steph and sotypical. My problem is I am not hungry and have to eat through all these points. I pick high points items to do that. I also feel like I can't do this diet because I lack the skills to plan out how to meet my points without having a lot of "crap foods". Even now as I plan for tomorrow I have eleven points left and enough food to fill me up....
You can totally do it - planning out your menus can be a daunting task when you're just starting out. So don't feel as if you're lacking some necessary skill! It will get easier as you get used to what you can eat and what you want to eat to use up all of your points each day.

I agree with steph about your plan for tomorrow - can you add some more protein in there to help you boost your points? That's the only area I see as a little low. Otherwise you are doing great - way to get in those healthy guidelines! I often find myself at the end of my day with points leftover, and that is when I seek out snacky stuff that may not be that great for me but still fits in the plan. (That's the point, right?) I feel okay about it as long as I'm not eating snacky food all day.

As for other ways to increase your points - an ounce of most nuts is 4 points. Now, an ounce of nuts is definitely not filling, but will help you feel satiated and really boost those points! I also agree with cutting back on the ff dairy products until you need to lower your intake. Go ahead and enjoy a higher fat content for more points. I absolutely LOVE non-ff yogurt, that is one food that helps me reach my points target on a regular basis.

Hope that helps some. Don't feel discouraged - this is a learning process, we've all had to go through that beginning phase where everything feels so different. Good luck!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #9  

I edited my menu to show where I eat this foods are requested by luvmyfam.

I work as a nanny so what foods we have is not up to me! The family only has fat free milk, and that is what I have been drinking for the last three years!

I'm going to pick up some nuts tonight! I actually can't stand them but if they boost my points in a good way I'm all for it!

I normally cook lunch/dinner from the WW cookbook. Silly me forgot to pick up meat this week from the supermarket so I was stuck picking meals that didn't need meat. I will be adding a chicken breast to my menu tomorrow as well.

Thank you guys for all your support and help. I'm slowly getting the hang of this planning, and it is totally because of you all. Otherwise I'd be sitting back eating unhealthy to meet my points.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:17 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

Do you like peanut butter? How about tossing a tablespoon of PB on top of a banana for a snack? That's 5 points right there - more if you really load on the PB If you don't like nuts, don't force yourself - you'll only end up hating it, and that's no way to live. Are there other high-point foods you like? Avocado for instance? Can you request that the family bring some non-ff dairy into the house just for a while, or can you purchase some yourself?

Having too many points is a good problem to have. It means you're really working at cleaning up your eating habits! Unfortunately it means you have to really wrack your brain to come up with interesting ways to eat the excess, since it is important to hit your base target. So take this problem as a good sign!!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #11  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Sorry I didn't mean to be hard on you! I agree that sometimes it can be hard to get enough points - i think others made some great suggestions like nuts and peanut butter - are both great ways to boost points and healthy too!

But while you have all the points enjoy them!

I only speak from experience... when I first started I filled my day 'with crap' food because I could and wonder if i had of done it differently if I wouldn't be so stuck now.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 263.6/258.2/150

Height: 5'7

Good Job on trying to get your points in. I know planning on what to eat and figuring out the points can get hard. At first I was writing the point value on the outside of the containers to know how much they were when I grab it. Have you thought about switching over to the core plan. I personally haven't done the core plan, but I know you don't have to count points just watch what you eat and are just restricted from a few items. And you just base how much on how hungary you feel, no need to feel like you have to get in all your points with those snacks.

One thing I was told was to mix up you meals, I know its easy to eat the same thing over and over again because you know the point values. But you body needs variety.

Keep up the good work.
Michiemish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #13  

I love that everyone has such great ideas and support! I'm so glad I decided to post asking for help. For me a big part of my problem is not asking for help when I need it. The peanut butter idea is perfect! I can now eat the celery we have in the fridge! I have it plain but love it w/ pb! I also have tomorrow planned out, I think from now on I'll fill out the week when I'm making up the grocery list. Hopefully it will keep me on track. I'll also be mixing things up from here on! Here's my menu for tomorrow, I think because of all of you I have a good plan!

Breakfast:
Smart start cereal
1 cup ff milk
1 cup grapes
1 cup cherries

After workout snack:
banana

Lunch:
Asparagus risotto
salad w/ 1 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup baby carrots
1 cup ff milk

Snack:
1 cup celery
2 1/2 tbsp. peanut butter

Snack:
string cheese

Dinner:
Italian bean soup
1 cup ff milk
salad w/ olive oil
chicken breast

Snack:
cottage cheese

thank you all again!
Old 08-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #14  

Newbie here but experienced with WW in the past you can always add more fruits and vegs (though you have lots) or make a veg tray with dip or maybe smoothies? ...and also some more grains somewhere that would help bulk things up (though that aspargus risotto sounds yummy! could you post a recipe sometime?)...all good things for you! You are doing great

Last edited by Lilydear; 08-06-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Lilydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #15  
I want the fully monty..

S/C/G: 240/check ticker/170

Height: 6ft

I think a first week is acceptable to a lot of snacky foods. That's what I did. To me, it's an easier way to ease into the lifestyle change. You know the amount you can have of something and your body will be used to it after the first week. My eating habits have changed dramatically after the first week though, I've been eating a lot more whole foods and less processed junk.
xdominic89x is offline   Reply With Quote