Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/140/ undecided 129ish ?

Height: 5.6

Default Can you walk to much?

Basically in the last two days i have walked about 14-15 miles all brisk walking 2 and half hour each time what i am curious is ...can you walk to much i have no problem doing this amount and i could proberly carry on but i have heard there could be problems if i did is it true ?
makelovenotwarcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I think too much of anything can be a bad thing. I hope you have good shoes! Did you just start this two days ago? I think it would be more beneficial for you, if you're trying to lose weight that is, to work your way up. I started walking 45 minutes briskly every night. Four months later it has turned into an hour jog.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:29 PM   #3  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Do you mind if I ask how you monitored the distance? In order to cover 14 miles in 2.5 miles, you would have walk at the speed of 5.6 miles per hour, and that is a lot more than just a "brisk walk". You would have to run, or at least jog, to cover 5.6 miles in an hour.
I don't mean to be a PITA but maybe you are not correctly estimating the distance (and you may think that if you walked XX miles, you burned YY calories - and that's why I pointed it out).

I agree with mamaspank that anything is too big doses is not good. If you are just starting, you may soon develop shin splints or some other problems from doing too much too soon.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #4  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

If you have that much Oomph! in you, you should look in to trying the C25K! You might really like it!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 154/140/ undecided 129ish ?

Height: 5.6

i use a perdomiter and it is timed my steps taken + distance walks the walks them selves are about 6miles each so works out about 2.5ishmph- near3mph however obviously i do other things during the day that has taken them up like speedy walks to the shops or just down to pick up things for my mum just genrally doing errands leading to my total. (btw its a weight watchers perdometer ) so that kicks it up to the 7 mils i belive. ....i have tried just walking 45 mins but i dont find it challenging enough nor feel i am doing enough however i do not wish to run as i am not good at it.Luckly my trainers are quite good

I would also like ot point out this is a planned route which it ake its about 3 miles eahc time maybe a little bit more and one stretch of it is a railway track with designated 1/4 mile signs which when i walk corrosponds with what my perdometer is saying. Not only thing but i am not really doing it for the calories burned more just because walking calms me down and it is nice to get my fat bum doing something that is not just sitting being misrable or eating food.

Last edited by makelovenotwarcraft; 08-05-2008 at 09:16 PM.
makelovenotwarcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #6  
banned

Yeah, this is a good practice when you are walking and good also for your body fitness.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/188/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Walking Too Much

I trained for --and completed-- a three day breast cancer walk a few years ago. During that time I often logged walks of 13-20+ miles. I tried to average a four-minute mile. I never had any problems with it. Of course, I sprang for excellent shoes (a necessity).

I also didn't loose much weight--I think because I didn't really get my heart rate too elevated. My legs looked fab, though!
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/233/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato View Post
Do you mind if I ask how you monitored the distance? In order to cover 14 miles in 2.5 miles, you would have walk at the speed of 5.6 miles per hour, and that is a lot more than just a "brisk walk". You would have to run, or at least jog, to cover 5.6 miles in an hour.
I don't mean to be a PITA but maybe you are not correctly estimating the distance (and you may think that if you walked XX miles, you burned YY calories - and that's why I pointed it out).
I think the OP's estimation of 13-14 miles was over a 2-day period. 2.5 hours each day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseShan
I trained for --and completed-- a three day breast cancer walk a few years ago. During that time I often logged walks of 13-20+ miles. I tried to average a four-minute mile. I never had any problems with it. Of course, I sprang for excellent shoes (a necessity).
Now THAT is fast!!!
Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote