Old 08-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #1  
Tink is on The Beach

S/C/G: 240/see signature/150

Height: 5'7

Default This isn't about dieting but is about diabetes

Ok so I had a quick question, this is geared toward those who have type 1 diabetes OR who use insulin and are type 2 (or anyone who might know the answer =P)

I am thinking , just thinking, about getting a tattoo, but i think my mom mentioned it wasn't a good idea having type 1 diabetes and getting one. But then again, this is my mother, who really doesn't want me to get one, and doesn't have any herself. But, I am an adult now, and can make my own choices.

Does anyone know any information on this? Hazards? Things I should be aware of? Is it a really bad choice? could this affect my diabetes?

Thanks!!
TinkFreak117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW: 310 CW:297 GW: 190

Height: 5' 9"

I would send you a link to some info but I ant send links due to being new, so it sounds like as long you stay away from certain areas.

* places with poor circulation such as ankles
* lower legs and buttocks, and
* areas where you take your insulin shots such as the abdomen, arms or thighs.

Hope this helps!
glorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #3  

HI Tink..im rosey and i have a tatoo.. i got inspite of being diabetic..its on my wrist..i had no problems.. just make sure you go to a reputable place and you really like the tat your getting cuz its permanent..i got mine as a "50th" birthday gift to my self..i still love it and i have had it for 10 yrs now..good luck..

Last edited by akrosey49; 08-03-2008 at 02:14 PM.
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #4  
Tink is on The Beach

S/C/G: 240/see signature/150

Thanks guys ... now just an idea for one =P
TinkFreak117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

Might I suggest Tinkerbell?
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

You can have diabetes and get inked.

Look at Bret Michaels and Tommy Lee

The only advice I would give to you is to make sure your blood sugars aren't excessively erratic when you get your tattoo. I only mention this because if they are, the healing process could take longer.

Have at it! I would say "you should get something personal and meaningful to you" BUT seeing as how my first tattoo was a 4 leaf clover on my hip (so anyone who sees below that point is "lucky"), I can't really speak. It was a spur-of-the-moment thing that I got on my 18th birthday. My mother advised me against getting a tattoo also, BUT I went and got one anyway, then showed her when it was too late for her to object!
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

WOW. I am a 23 year old diabetic of 12 years and since I was 18 I was told I could never get a tattoo, that I would get ganggreen and my arm, leg or whatever would fall off and I have been so scared to do it. I know other people who are not supposed to get tattoo's, like people with liver issues. I have been told, as long as they are small, there should be no problem.
Wow, i will really have to reconsider this tattoo thing.
amandarose17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Speaking of tattoos, I got a new one a couple weeks ago:

(I am on the far right, of course!)

It healed beautifully and did not get infected at all. My first tattoo didn't heal as quickly or as nicely(it was during my hard partying days, so my diabetes control was not the greatest back then), but still turned out looking awesome in the end.

Ironically, I checked a box on the waiver saying "I do not have diabetes." What's even funnier is that I got into an extended conversation with the tattoo artist about all kinds of things and ended up telling him I was a diabetic anyway. He said that would make sense as I was by FAR the most CALM girl he has ever tattooed. Needles obviously do not phase me whatsoever, so I was able to sit perfectly still. AND so far, I have had no body parts fall off
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #9  

I have been on insullin and other diabetic medication since 1985. I had my eyeliner and eye brows tattoed about 15 years ago. I had no problem at all. I have had them regfreshed once. Got to be sure the artist is absolutely clean and sterile. Good luck! Daiseymae
Daiseymae is offline   Reply With Quote