General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #1  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Default TMI.. sweat and body areas

Ok guys... potential TMI warning

I've wondered about this for some time, and never asked anyone about it because it seems embarrassing! I even feel a bit self-conscious asking here

Sometimes when I sit on plastic-type chairs (not white), after I get up, there is a streak (of what I can only assume to be sweat) right where I was sitting. I've observed other people getting up, and I don't think I've seen it on anyone else's chair. Does this happen often, is it related to being obese/overweight? And it's not like I sweat a lot either, probably just like the average person.

Please tell me this happens to a lot of people who need to lose weight and it's not an aberration of sorts because I want it to be gone as the extra weight goes!
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:49 PM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

whats TMI??

This happens to me mostly in summer, if i sit on a plastic chair after walking. I think its just sweat or water vapour from my legs, cos my legs tend to sweat heaps. I guess that shouldnt be surprising, they're pretty big muscles! what is surprising is that my knees sweat a lot too O_O

Anyway the point is you're not alone. I dont think its just an obese thing, it could be because being obese means we sweat a bit more doing the same thing as thinner people, but it could also be that you arent looking at other people's chairs in the right angle to see the sweat
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:57 PM   #3  
loving my beautiful self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
it could also be that you arent looking at other people's chairs in the right angle to see the sweat
Hmm maybe... but mine's seriously noticeable So if other people's were as noticeable, you'd be able to see them from any angle.

TMI means "too much information"
Old 08-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #4  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

o thanks for letting me know what it means

hmm its tricky, i always find it hard to know if something about me is outrageous noticable or if its just me worrying about it and no one else has actually seen it. But that aside, i dont really know why you would have it more than anyone else if you dont sweat more than average...maybe its the material that your pants/skirts are made of? Could be that they dont let the legs breath as much so when you sit down you get sweat...im really not sure
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:02 AM   #5  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

you are not alone! i'm always embarrassed- what if someone wants to sit there after me?!!?! i always assumed it just my big sweaty butt.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:04 AM   #6  
Forget failed attempts...

S/C/G: 314/308/140

I do this thing where I kinda slide off my seat, wiping off any potential sweat in the process.

Last edited by Monica Dianne; 08-02-2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: mis-spell
Monica Dianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:12 AM   #7  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

You're not alone - I've noticed it too. I think certain kinds of plastics make it worse as that doesn't seem to be a problem with all plastic chairs. I got so self conscious about it that I used to perch on the edge of the seat, rather than sitting back in it.

Glad we have cloth chairs now.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:19 AM   #8  
loving my beautiful self

I'm so relieved that it's not just me!!! though at the same time don't wish it on others.

Monica, I've definitely done the sliding off the chair thing, trying to make it look natural and completely inconspicuous and it's worked (at least sometimes) thankfully.

I definitely prefer cloth chairs though it's a bit gross if you consider everything that they may absorb in their lifetime.. you never know what you're plopping down onto I guess
Old 08-02-2008, 12:22 AM   #9  
Forget failed attempts...

S/C/G: 314/308/140

True, but I think I'd prefer a little dirt/germs to my total embarassment that this is even an issue for me!
Monica Dianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:14 AM   #10  
I LOVE my furbabies!

S/C/G: 216/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'9"

BeautifulOne and Monica-- omg I'm so happy that I'm not the only one who does the sliding off the seat thing. Sometimes if it's really hot or I'm sweating a lot I will slide half way off the chair so only one cheek or thigh is on it and give it a second to dry or whatever... I am so so so embarassed when this happens and it happens just about all the time for me. I have hyperhidrosis and I sweat like crazy in my armpits and i guess groin area so if there is a cloth chair I will sit in that for sure.
I once had a guy I work with say "damn you have a major case of swamp a*s going on" I was so embarassed I thought I was going to pass out. I looked at him and told him that his comment was classified under sexual harassment and I would appreciate it if he refrained from commenting on my "a*s" from now on... I could have died... From then on it was a cloth chair for me or a seat in the back that no one would see or alas sliding off the chair praying that it wouldnt be as noticeable. oh well life goes on... Don't worry about it-- I'm sure everyone has this once in a while... I have always had this even when I was thinner and it hasn't gone away... But then again I have over active sweat glands and will probably never go away... I hope for you that it will and if not-- it's not the end of the world... just maybe the end of plastic chairs

Last edited by net knee; 08-02-2008 at 04:16 AM.
net knee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:14 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 210

Height: 5ft7in

I'm always embarressed because I STICK to chairs and have to remove myself bit by bit trying not to yelp
Pixiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #12  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

ugh sticking is just as bad.

swamp *** that is really classy. good job not punching that guy! I guess at least I have a name for it. :C
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #13  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

Aerosol Antiperspirant. I use it every day -- in all those sweaty places.
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 280/262/180

Height: 6'5

i so do the slide off the seat thing too!
bentley fontane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:54 PM   #15  
loving my beautiful self

Quote:
Originally Posted by net knee View Post
I once had a guy I work with say "damn you have a major case of swamp a*s going on" I was so embarassed I thought I was going to pass out. I looked at him and told him that his comment was classified under sexual harassment and I would appreciate it if he refrained from commenting on my "a*s" from now on...
Wow net knee, I applaud you for being able to make such a dignified comment - and self-assertive - when you were feeling so embarrassed! that's always the kind of thing I'd want to say in response if that happened to me but I'm not sure I'd think of it until after. And your coworker - whoa!!! I always wonder how people can say stuff like that.

I definitely do the sliding off the chair, pause, and slide off completely thing to give the chair extra time to air off.