Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:27 AM   #1  
Cute, Curvy, Coquettish

Location: Manchester, New Hampshire. Originally from California

S/C/G: 192.5/180ish- I think! /150.0

Height: 5'1"

Default It's harder to lose....

I've read that if you have a lot of weight to lose (50+ pounds) it tends to be easier to lose weight. If you have only a small amount to lose (10+pounds) it can become more difficult.

I can maintain 140 pounds pretty good, but getting passed that with any consistency isn't happening. I pretty much hover around 138-141 for the last 6 months.

Any ideas?? Thoughts?? Suggestions!

Thanks....gail
bunny43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Hey Gail,
I've heard the same thing. It's possible that your body just likes being at that weight...I've read that we have a set point and it's harder to be less than that weight. However, I would suggest really kicking up your weight routine. Ever since I've started doing weights like my husband, I've noticed more weight dropping (although I have more to go than you do). Also, you need to figure out how many calories your body burns at rest. Just check on Google for a RMR calculator. That might be an eye opener right there. KWIM? It's definitely possible to get to your goal weight...you just might have to work extra hard to get there and it might take you longer than you thought....but it's so worth it. Finally, mix up your workout routine. I take a bootcamp class twice a week and I do things there I wouldn't normally do. I've heard great things about spin classes, though I'm personally too intimidated to get into it. My goal is to start the spin classes in the fall, when the kids are in school. Oh, one last thing: are you going to the bathroom every day? If not, I highly recommend KyoDophilis. It's from a company called Kyolic and it has 1.5 billion cells of probiotics or something like that! You take one with each meal and it helps keep those pipes moving, if you know what I mean! Good luck to you! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #3  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I certainly noticed that to be true ... the lower my weight got, the harder and slower further weight loss because. I think part of the challenge is that smaller bodies simply require less fuel to operate. Also, as we get better at our workouts, we get more efficient at it, and tend to burn a little less doing the same things. I found that to continue the weight loss, I had to do two things: increase my exercise intensity and/or quantity and be very vigilant with my diet plan. I didn't drop my calories any further, I just had to be sure to stay on plan. I had to face that the fact that even one "cheat day" could derail my weight loss for the whole week. And even at that it just went slower, it took longer to lose the last 10 pounds than the previous 30. So it can be done, it just takes vigilence, time and patience.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Gail!

3FC has a forum called Featherweights for those who have fewer pounds to lose--either because they are starting there or because they are closer to goal and trying to get rid of those last few pounds.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=197

I've certainly found that weight loss does slow down as weight drops. And, there's only so low one can go with calorie reduction without entering dangerous territory. Increasing physical activity can help--but mostly, it's a matter of sticking with it and having incredible patience.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny43 View Post
I've read that if you have a lot of weight to lose (50+ pounds) it tends to be easier to lose weight. If you have only a small amount to lose (10+pounds) it can become more difficult.

I can maintain 140 pounds pretty good, but getting passed that with any consistency isn't happening. I pretty much hover around 138-141 for the last 6 months.

Any ideas?? Thoughts?? Suggestions!

Thanks....gail
Oh yes indeedy. One of the advantages of being morbidly obese. Ummm, I mean the ONLY advantage of being morbidly obese. Weight does come off faster when you've got more to lose. It's (usually) easier to create that all important calorie deficit.

In order to make any suggestions, one would first need to know what you are currently doing and how you've been trying to get those few lbs off. How many calories are you consuming? What kind of foods do you eat? How frequently do you exercise?

A little more info and it'll be easier to give suggestions.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #6  
Cute, Curvy, Coquettish

Location: Manchester, New Hampshire. Originally from California

S/C/G: 192.5/180ish- I think! /150.0

Height: 5'1"

Holy Cow! Great responses!!

Featherweights...oh my word, never been one of those in my life! Hee hee.
I will check it out! I do think I am in a food rut and somewhat of an exercise rut. Last week I did increase my walking distance and plan to do so again next week.
I thank you for all your opinions. I am thrilled to have found this site!

gail (featherweight in training)
bunny43 is offline   Reply With Quote