Old 07-31-2008, 11:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/169/150

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Slipped a bit, feeling blue, need some support

Day 3 of my calorie counting was going along great & right on track until we took a colleague out for her going-away party. I started off just having a white wine spritzer but then things spiraled out of control and I ended up having a few light beers and I believe a shot at some point. *Sigh* It was such a fun, festive mood, I couldn't say no. I understand that social scenes are my trigger so I should have known better. Even worse, when I got home I had a mini binge of Triscuits and a string cheese.

So in all the bad of last night I am at least able to find a little bit of good -- The good news is that I stuck to light drinks (minus the shot), didn't stop by Taco Bell for a 2am burrito which was a past habit, and didn't attack the Ben & Jerry's pint when I got home.

Still, I am feeling really upset about this slip, it just seems too soon to mess up! I am trying hard to NOT overcompensate today by working out for a lengthly period of time or cutting my 1500 a day allowance to 1200. I decided to get right back where I left off -- a new day at 1500 calories and if I go for a walk tonight great but if not it's not the end of the world...

Am I doing the right thing?

Thanks!
ReadytoRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/243/199

You got it! Start up where you left off. Resume with your original plan. Its really hard to incorporate new habits into all aspects and situations in our lives, especially after three days. Progress, not perfection.
rose bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:55 AM   #3  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

You know - I have had the same problem all year untill I realised guilt held me back. If you enjoyed your night that is all that matters. Losing weight means cutting down on unhealthy habits but it doesn't mean you should be unhappy or stop enjoying yourself either! So leave it behind now - it was in the past and you enjoyed yourself, your here now in the present and the best thing you can do is to be healthy now. It's okay!

Last edited by Spoz; 07-31-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:55 AM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

It's a new day, and yes, you are doing the right thing. The key to success in this weight loss game, in my opinion, or at least one of the keys, is getting right back on plan when you stumble. So right back on plan with you, and then let it go.

for the great attitude. Slips DO happen.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:15 PM   #5  

Thumbs up Thank you!

Thank you for your replies, you guys!

A lot of my friends are of the "OMG you have to run 3 miles to work that off and only eat 800 calories" mentality and that just doesn't work for me. It also leads me down a slippery slope of being obsessive -- a slope I don't want to get on at all.

I just had a really delicious breakfast and feel pretty good about it

R2R
Old 07-31-2008, 12:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I agree with all of the above, jump back on the wagon. Don't "run 3 miles and eat 800 cals" because then you'd binge and feel even worse. So get back to the 1500 per day, and chalk it up to experience.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:31 PM   #7  
Workin' it out

S/C/G: 175/170.6/150

Height: 5' 4.5"

You are creating a new lifestyle that you are going to live with for the rest of your life, right? And, that's probably going to include a celebration here and there. You should definitely focus on the positives - the light beer, the Taco Bell and the Ben & Jerry's that you didn't eat. This is probably a huge improvement from the past, and potentially a difference of 1000 calories in one night!!! So props to you, R2R!!!!!
ShrinkingShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:13 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

After a night of drinks be proud of yourself for not hitting Taco Bell! Sometimes when I fall of the wagon I do it with a thud,so I know how you feel. At least you had a fun night - life is NOT about dieting!
hmtklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #9  

This is becoming a learning process for me. I've gone out to eat a few times and tried to pick wisely, when I get home I look up the calories on-line and am always shocked at how disgustingly high in calories meals are.

I won't stop eating out, but I'm sure gonna limit it more and be aware of the consequences of those choices. Before I started writing everything down, I'd think 'I deserve this treat' and help myself to whatever. Now I think, 'but you had a treat on Saturday and again on Tuesday, you should probably skip this one'. I am going for *cough* "Progress, not perfection."
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #10  

I definitely agree with all of the above! What is even more exciting is that today was weigh-in day and I am down 4.5 lbs. I didn't restrict myself or exercise like crazy. I ate 1500 calories a day, walked 3 miles with a buddy one night and jogged one mile around a track the other day. Of course this is mostly water weight but I am still very excited!!

I used to think that I needed all of those extra calories; I was consuming close to 2000 a day. Keeping track and writing it down really does work! And the best part...it's free!