Old 07-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #1  
i WANT this...bad

S/C/G: 225/ticker/140

Height: 5'3

Default Abnormal??

So when I was younger and in gymnastics, at the beginning of each season the girls and I would wear extra clothes to get back into shape faster. When we ran to warm up and when we did conditioning, but never doing actual skills. I have this itch to go to that because I feel it works. I am tending to think its completely abnormal because really all it does it make you sweat and then you lose water weight, but it can be dangerous by getting dehydrated and all that. So I was wondering if you guys think this is abnormal?
SephyFowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

I wouldn't say it's abnormal. I remember when my brother was playing pop warner football and was on the cusp of his weight range (needed to loose 3-4 pounds) the coaches would make all the kids who needed to loose run laps in sweat suits during the summer. Needless to say my mom had a cow.

In all honesty it's probably more in your head than anything else. You feel like you're in more pain when you work out which somehow convinces you that you're doing more.

I don't think it's really worth it. With all the variables considered in loosing weight,(ie how much sleep you get, how much water you drink, how much you work out, how much and what you eat) I think that working out in extra clothing is toward the bottom of the list of things that will make the most diffrent. I would focus on more important things.
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:45 PM   #3  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

sweating more = more calories = losing more weight? I don't think that is true.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:07 AM   #4  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

i do prefer to sweat more as i do feel like i am doing more than when i only sweat a little....
in all fairness i dont think it makes much of a difference....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:35 AM   #5  
Bikini Season :)

its a lot of water weight and can horribly offset your electrolytes! i have friends who think wrapping themselves in saran wrap and working out makes them lose perm. weight faster - drink some water and you have your weight back!
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:44 AM   #6  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

it may make you lose weight because you are warmer faster, so you burn more calories (because you burn more calories naturally in summer than you do in winter right?) but the difference would be pretty minimal and a lot of what you lose would be water weight as others have said. Its probably reeeeeaaally tempting, but i would avoid it personally
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 245/178/145

Height: 5'4

My husband plays football and he goes running every morning in this trash-bag looking sweat suit underneath his actual clothing because he likes the extra sweat, I suppose. Drink extra water, though, because you don't want to get dehydrated!
QueenBee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #8  
i WANT this...bad

S/C/G: 225/ticker/140

Height: 5'3

Yeah that's what I thought. I haven't done it, but the temptation is there. lol I'll stay away from it.
SephyFowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Default It works....

It works on a thermogenic level. That's how most diet pills work, by causing your body to heat up, which raises your heart rate and blood pressure, which causes temporary increased metabolism. It works if you keep up your level of activity every day, otherwise it goes back to normal. We did the same thing in ballet, but most of our bundling was to keep from getting hypothermia in that stupid artic studio! I swear they kept that room at friggin' 48 degrees.

I exercise in my wool tights still, and I stretch in full warm-ups to this day. I even used to wear them under my PT's when I could get away with it, but it was more because i'm prone to shin splints and quick changes in temperature make my ankles hurt.

If it's comfortable to you then wear it. Frankly, it is mostly just water weight, but I know that i'm generally a nicer person when i'm not bloated because I ate ONE triscuit and five minutes later my jeans are getting tight around my butt. I hate salt...
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:22 AM   #10  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I dated a wrestler in high school, and they all used the Saran Wrap method to make weight. It was ridiculous. They also took laxatives, spit into cups for hours at a time (usually on the bus when they were going to a meet), and occasionally made themselves vomit. Horrible.

I already sweat so much when I work out, I couldn't imagine wanting to sweat more.
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:35 AM   #11  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

why did they spit into cups for hours?? Is that just to get rid of water??
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote