Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 07-27-2008, 01:01 AM   #1  

Default Overindulgence?

Hi everyone,

I'd just like to write some thoughts out about this weekend and see if anyone has any advice or related stories to share:

This weekend isn't turning out to be the great excersising and eating healthy weekend that I hoped it would be. Last night we were invited to dinner at a neighbor's house. She made authentic Mexican tostadas, complete with homemade refried beans, crunchy corn tostada shells, and all the other yummy fixins. It was seriously delicious... For dessert we had fresh berries, Cool Whip and little brownie bites. I also had two Smirnoff cooler things, which I know are full of sugar. I don't normally drink, but I had a couple with dinner.

Today we went to friends' to visit and again, eat dinner. These people stay on the couch or in their recliners all day watching TV. I'm sore just from not moving around all day. Plus it's an hour and a half car ride each way there and back. In the morning before we left I had two pieces of whole wheat toast with cinnamon and raisin swirl peanut butter. For the car ride I packed a plum, almonds, trail mix, and cut veggies. I had the plum and the almonds on the drive there. I know they always make a big dinner, so I was trying to not be starving by the time we got there. And I was right. Dinner was steamed asparagus, chicken flavored Rice a Roni, and THE largest chicken breast I had ever seen. I joked about chicken implants, this thing was so huge. I ate a quarter of it and brought the rest home. We had chocolate chip ice cream with chocolate syrup for dessert. I also snacked on some honey roasted peanuts that I picked up at a gas station on the drive home.

Does it sound like I went overboard? I feel like I ate a lot, and having the dessert two nights in a row, plus alcohol, seemed like a big indulgence. Friday I worked out pretty hard at the gym, but of course didn't hardly move today. I plan to go work out on Sunday, and then take my kickboxing class Monday. I know I've eaten way larger quantities and worse food before, so I'm just trying to tell myself it's ok to live my life and eat what I want without guilt. But it's hard to know if it's normal social eating or if I took advantage of the situation and overdid it.

I've read a lot of success stories lately, and it seems like the biggest theme is to just keep showing up and making the right decisions, in spite of yourself sometimes, and eventually all of those good actions and good choices add up to accomplishing the goal. When I make choices like, eat that ice cream and syrup, I can't help but struggle with am I making the wrong choice that's leading me away from my goal, or am I living my life and being a social being who deserves dessert with friends? Do you all relate to that internal argument?

Thanks for letting me vent. Hope everyone's having a good weekend.
goofgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Of course you deserve dessert with your friends. Weekends are hard to stay on track, especially with some authentic tostadas! YuM! I wouldn't feel to guilty. Just move on. Every meal is a chance to start again. The most important thing is that you get right back on track after a meal or two of more extravagance. I treated myself to a regular pizza today. It has been 3 and a half months since I had one, and I have worked SOOO hard to get to this point. Best part is, I don't feel bad or guilty. I am playing a softball tournament all weekend and was starving. Once morning hits though, I will be right back to an english muffin and a couple of egg whites.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:53 AM   #3  
Giving no Ground

S/C/G: 245/217/135

Height: 5'5"

I don't think you did to badly! You sound like you were pretty in control of what you were doing. Remeber it's what you do 'most' of the time, if you are doing well most of the time then you should be just fine with this weekend.

Best of luck!
Skullarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:03 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofgirl View Post
I'm just trying to tell myself it's ok to live my life and eat what I want without guilt. But it's hard to know if it's normal social eating or if I took advantage of the situation and overdid it.

I'm trying to tell myself the SAME exact thing this weekend. My boyfriend has been out of town ALL week, so today I had my normal breakfast after my workout (light yogurt and an apple), went to work, came home and had a salad for lunch while the boy had his own thing. A half hour after eating I felt like I was STARVING, granted my salad consisted of spinach, a couple olives and 2 ounces of tofu. So, I went to the kitchen and prepared a half bagel (55 cal) with half a tbs of Bettern Butter and a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese... maybe a 150 total and I started feeling GUILTY about it! Like I was completely starting to binge. I had to get out of the house because I was so worried about it for some reason. For dinner I had a 6" Subway Veggie Delight, no cheese, just mustard and felt guilty after I ate the thing! Now I just came back from the drive-in which I munched on half a bag of Smart right pop-corn, yes I feel guilty.
AHH OKAY, my point is.. even though from a "normal" persons perspective I didn't over indulge at all, but to me it seems like I need to get my mouth sewn shut!

I suppose I don't have much advice, I just wanted to let you know that I am in the same boat by trying to not let myself get down for acting "normal" when it comes to eating in a social environment.

Lets think of it not so much stopping us from reaching our goal, but just taking it a little bit slower and taking a breather before we go out of our minds!
tater tash is offline   Reply With Quote