PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/200/???

Height: 5'3

Default New to Forum - question re:Metformin and IR diet

Hello Everyone,
I was tested for glucose levels over two years ago and finally decided to do something about my eating and activity levels. I have a non-functionig thyroid (diagnosed Hashimoto's in 2005) and PCOS in 2007. Clearly I have some dietary issues. My question is:'

If you have been undergoing treatment for Hypothyroidism and PCOS at the same time AND you start a radical food regimine (i.e. whole foods, low carb, high protein) - should you go back to your doc to get tested for albumin and liver/kidney levels or just keep taking the same metformin that you're on?

I'm on 1000mg of Met twice daily. Along with 1.5gr Armour and .25mcg Levothyroxine.

I'm concerned that with the radical diet changes I've institued - I might be harming myself by taking Metformin.

Thanks,
Michelle
youCANbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:29 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

If you are concerned at all, I would definitely get bloodwork done regularly. I do not have thyroid issues, but when I was on Met I also had regular bloodwork. I had some odd symptoms that came along with Met that could be liver related, so I was really concerned. You're wise to be cautious.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/200/???

Height: 5'3

Thanks Jennifer.
youCANbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:58 AM   #4  

Due to this low-carbohydrate, moderate-protein and moderate-fat diet is resulted to Insulin Resistance Syndrome (IR), sometimes called Metabolic Syndrome. It is mainly present in the refined foods, especially sweets, combined with deficient that gets people into trouble.A program based on whole foods, not more refined food products, is the best long-term solution in IR, and a solution of other health problems. It takes 2 to 3 months to regain normal insulin sensitivity.
================================================== ==
steve
stevejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote