Old 07-25-2008, 12:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SCG: 226/210/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Running!

This is the second post in one day! WOW! Well, I started running yesterday! I haven't been in over a year, just kinda fell off the wagon after I had my daughter. My Mom called yesterday saying she wanted to start running and train for some marathons (small ones first), so I loaded the kids up in the joggin stroller and was off! I did surpisingly well. I wasn't tooo exhausted and felt soooo good. We'll see how today goes, but I'm soooo excited! Any other runner out there? I know AbsoluteDiva is one, just wondering who else is?
Jermsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #2  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I am! (or I wanna be!)

I'm going to start training for a mini-marathon that will take place September 2009. I think I will begin training this September so I have about a year to prepare and get myself ready. I have a list of websites about marathon training and stuff so I will formulate a plan of attack.

I have to say, this idea is VERY exciting to me -- I've always been so heavy and unathletic and I've never competed in anything sports related in my life. I don't expect to win the marathon, but just participating and getting a ribbon at the end is SOOO exciting! The one I'm thinking of running in is the Yonkers Mini-Marathon (Yonkers is right outside of NYC). If I like it, I might think of then running the NYC Mini-Marathon the following year.

Last edited by KLK; 07-25-2008 at 01:11 PM.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #3  
Workin' it out

S/C/G: 175/170.6/150

Height: 5' 4.5"

I'm a wanna-be! I was training for a 5k but fell off the wagon about a month ago, and didn't do the race (it was last weekend)

I still want to do one!
ShrinkingShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SCG: 226/210/165

Height: 5'9"

ShrinkingShrink- Keep at it! I can't wait to have the feeling of finally crossing a finish line!

KLK- A year is a good goal time to get into shape. I think I'm gonna start with a 5k and see how that goes, at least while I'm working on my stamina. I read "The Runner's Handbook" a while ago and LOVED it. The program for novice runners is what I am using as a guide to build my stamina. :0)
Jermsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:33 PM   #5  
Waiting on a hot body

S/C/G: 165/153/135

Height: 5'7"

::raises hand:: But I only like doing 5K runs. I find any more wears on my knees...and I really don't want to need knee replacement surgery in my golden years

I have only been running on streets and tracks... is grass less wearing (though I know it's harder physically) on your joints because it is less solid impact?

Also, does anyone know if you buy knee support if it helps lessen joint damage/wear?

Last edited by MalibuBeachBound; 07-25-2008 at 02:35 PM.
MalibuBeachBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #6  
Workin' it out

S/C/G: 175/170.6/150

Height: 5' 4.5"

KLK - what distance is a "mini" marathon?
ShrinkingShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #7  
Waiting on a hot body

S/C/G: 165/153/135

A "mini" marathon is a race shorter than a marathon. Generally a 13 mile race, but can be used when describing a 5 or 10K race in some cases as well.
MalibuBeachBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:15 PM   #8  
Image isn't Character

S/C/G: 278(54%BF)/180(10%)/175(8%)

Height: 5'8"

I'm gonna guess that a mini marathon is either a 10k or a half marathon. Anywho, I love, love, love running till daddy takes my t-bird away. Unfortunately, my knees don't. Heh, I've been an avid runner the past 2 years, but my knees just can't take it anymore so I've taken up biking. MalibuBeachBound, braces definitely help your joints feel better when you run, but I'm not sure if they protect from joint damage or anything. MSM, Chondroitin, and Glucosamine help with joint damage though and flaxseed oil helps keep your joints lubricated. There's a lot of supplements out there specifically for joint repair, I'd look into some of those.
griffogrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #9  
Image isn't Character

S/C/G: 278(54%BF)/180(10%)/175(8%)

Height: 5'8"

Oh, and running on grass and dirt or a treadmill is better than running on concrete, there's less pressure exerted on your joints per strike
griffogrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:48 AM   #10  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

me! I love to run, but only do it a couple of times a week now. I did a 1/2 marathon a couple of years ago, but I had stress fractures and had to stop for a long time. About 10 miles would be my longest run at this point. I love the challenge, and I love how I feel afterwards, too.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:33 AM   #11  

I am a wanna be! I walk about five miles 3-4 times a week but I can't make the transition to running. I used to love running, back when I was in shape. Not sure if it's just my weight that's holding me back right now, in which case I'll be able to run in a few months or what else it might be.
cdiem4994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #12  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

I always hated running, then really got started around the age of 40!
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #13  
KLK

Yep, the marathon I have my eye on is 13.1 miles (a standard marathon is, I believe, 26 miles). Which means I have to WORK WORK WORK to get ready for this thing! But I will have a year to prepare and I have many good places to run and practice right by my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBeachBound View Post
A "mini" marathon is a race shorter than a marathon. Generally a 13 mile race, but can be used when describing a 5 or 10K race in some cases as well.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #14  
KLK

I found that my ability to actually run/jog has improved SO much since I started resistance training my legs. I always blamed my inability to run on being overweight, but I see now that my problem was under-developed leg muscles -- my much thinner friend and I were jogging together yesterday night and we had a few "races" and I beat her quite a few times . Also, I think I'm finally mastering the fine art of breathing while running (I used to hold my breath ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdiem4994 View Post
I am a wanna be! I walk about five miles 3-4 times a week but I can't make the transition to running. I used to love running, back when I was in shape. Not sure if it's just my weight that's holding me back right now, in which case I'll be able to run in a few months or what else it might be.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #15  
KLK

I've been worrying ab what all this running might do to my legs and knees. So far, I can't complain of any pain caused by running and jogging, but my knees do hurt if I do too many lunges and squats during resistance training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffogrubb View Post
I'm gonna guess that a mini marathon is either a 10k or a half marathon. Anywho, I love, love, love running till daddy takes my t-bird away. Unfortunately, my knees don't. Heh, I've been an avid runner the past 2 years, but my knees just can't take it anymore so I've taken up biking. MalibuBeachBound, braces definitely help your joints feel better when you run, but I'm not sure if they protect from joint damage or anything. MSM, Chondroitin, and Glucosamine help with joint damage though and flaxseed oil helps keep your joints lubricated. There's a lot of supplements out there specifically for joint repair, I'd look into some of those.