Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-24-2008, 10:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: (324/238/175) New 310/310/200

Height: 5'5"

Default hurry up and wait

hi all,

i posted, oh, back in later winter, early spring about being in the process for getting a lapband. i'm still waiting for insurance approval. 2 holdups were needing behav. mod therapy which i completed. i'm not sure what i got from it but the therapist said he'd write the letter saying i'm good to go. he wants to see me again so i think i'll schedule when i get insurance approval next. the other hold up was getting weight infor from my dr. in PA. they kept saying my surgeon's office didn't forward my release and my surgeon's office said they did so finally the PA office managed to get me at home and they accepted a verbal release-why couldn't we have done that month's ago? the PA office sent the info but in the wrong way-they just typed dates and weights-i think i told them to do it that way but actual copies of the notes in my file are needed. so i don't know when that will come. the surgeon's office will call when they submit to insurance-any minute now folks. I'm hoping for surgery by the end of the year. i haven't had any pre-op appts yet. more fun and time off work.

in the meantime i'm struggling to maintain the weight loss i manage 3 or 4 years ago-about 35 pounds. i managed to gain most of it back, then lost all but 3 lbs of it but now half of it went back on. i just stop being careful for like 2 days and the damage is done times 2. bah!

this will happen, in God's good time.
merryterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:45 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Terry,

I agree, in God's time it will happen. Good luck on maintaining, I know how hard it is. I have the band and gained back 10 lbs of the 60 I lost (still have 50 to lose) Even with the band, its a struggle every day not to put the wrong things in my mouth. It would have been wonderful if the band worked on that part of your brain as well but it doesn't People wonder, how can some one gain with the lapband...well its easy when your not at full restriction and food slides down just like as if you never had the band. AND you eat junk (junk goes down better than healthy foods btw). BTW, I love my band. It keeps me from getting into more trouble

it'll happen, hang in there.

Leenie

Last edited by Leenie; 07-25-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #3  

Hi Terry,

Waiting is so hard, especially when what you are waiting for offers so much hope. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the process moves quickly at this point for you.

Just as a side note, it took me about 9 months from the time I thought I wants surgery to actually have the surgery. I spent that time continuing research, and joined several online groups related to the surgery I hoped to have. I also spent that time trying (not perfecting by any stretch) to eat the type of diet I would need to follow as a postop and also getting into the habit of taking vitamins. I didn't diet in any traditional sense, but tried to eat protein at every meal (my surgery requires increased protein intake, and I was never a big protein either beforehand. I wanted to be sure I could/would do it). Taking those steps during that nine month period was probably the best thing I ever did for myself.

Good luck to you. Hopefully things will move forward quickly at this point.

Dawna
Dawnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #4  
ShrinkingPamelalala

S/C/G: 271/179/155ish

Height: 5'7'

I hope your quest is almost over! I'll have my fingers crossed that it happens by the end of the year.
tropigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #5  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

HI TERRY!!!!!! don't worry, I waited a long time too, it's soooo worth the wait. Just do everything you need to, dot the i's and cross the t's. it will all work out.
Glad to hear from you!!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 07-25-2008 at 03:29 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

Terry, Hang in there. I didn't have to jump through any hoops but it still took me 6 months from start to finish. The insurance company lost my paperwork and the the surgeon went on vacation of all things. Just keep on truckin' and before ya know it you'll be on the other side.
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: (324/238/175) New 310/310/200

Height: 5'5"

Default Submitted

My surgeon's office just emailed and they finally received everything needed and have submitted me to insurance for approval!! It's hard to imagine they'd deny me with all my issues-most aren't serious yet...

So that hurdle is jumped on my end, anyway!
merryterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:47 PM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good luck Terry *crossing-fingers*
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote