General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 05:53 PM   #1  

Default Womans Day walking plan

In this month's issue is Woman's Day walking plan and diet program. Can someone explain more in detail to me about carbohydrates? I know that they are starches and sugars. But if you are on a 1,200 calorie diet, what are you suppose to limit your carbohydrate count to.

I know being on a low sodium diet I dont' like to go over 1,500 grams or milgrans (whichever it is) per day.

I know people who are diabetics have to watch their carbohydrates because it is hidden inside everything.....all help explaining this to me would be appreciated.....thanks to all.
Old 03-25-2002, 06:46 PM   #2  

Cool

Yeah, that Woman's Day diet.... they tell you to eat a Krispy Kreme doughnut for breakfast one day. Sounds *really* healthy to ME.

Carbs should comprise no more than 40% of your calories each day; that means on 1200 calories, you should limit your carbs to 480 calories or less.

And yes, there are hidden sugars in many products, you can check ingredients lists to see them. Besides "sugar" and "sucrose" watch out for "high fructose corn syrup"; it's in A LOT of stuff because it's a cheap way to sweeten.

Laura
Old 03-25-2002, 10:10 PM   #3  

Default Carbs -Thank you

Just wanted to say thank you for answering my question. I understand carbohydrates better now.

I didn't see that "doughnut" in the diet...LOL I guess I should read it more carefully. LOL !!
Old 03-26-2002, 05:45 PM   #4  

Smile

Generally, you want to split protein, fat and carbs in thirds, or more like 40-30-30. Make sure the carbs you eat are in fruits, veggies or whole grain foods and pastas. Go to fitday.com and write down what you're eating and it will show you a graph of how your calories are split up. This way I can tell if I need more carbs, less protein, etc. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 03-26-2002, 06:27 PM   #5  

Default Thanks for the info

Thank you for responding. I'll check the web site out!
Closed Thread