Old 07-13-2008, 12:22 AM   #1  
Tracie

S/C/G: 201.2/181.4/135

Height: 5'0"

Default Article regarding whole foods

check out this article. Very good article.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/25609832/
twestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:27 AM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I am all for promoting whole foods!!!

This is something I take issue with though, because for some of us, it's not possible to be successful losing weight this way (no counting calories or limiting portion sizes):

"It’s simple: real food. Vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, beans, whole grains (no flour because a bag of flour has a label), poultry, fish and eggs. That’s it. No counting calories, carbs or fat grams! Eat as much as you want and enjoy."
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

OH I agree it's easier and healthier to lose weight based on whole foods, but I can eat the **** out nuts and whole grains and still gain weight!
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #4  
Southside White Sox Fan

Taken in context....it makes a lot of great sense. When I'm eating whole foods I fill up a lot faster than eating processed foods. I don't need to be hungry to eat so overeating is always going to be something to guard against. The author's point is merely that one does not have to weigh and measure in order to lose weight if consuming whole foods.

Thanks for the article, Tracie!
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Fatchickbegone, it's sad but true for a LOT of us who have had/have weight issues (everyone living the whole foods lifestyle that I know, actually still has to moderate portions, calories etc.). Wouldn't it be great to just eat what we like from whole, natural foods and NOT have to measure and weigh and count?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie View Post
The author's point is merely that one does not have to weigh and measure in order to lose weight if consuming whole foods.
And my point is that a lot of us *do* have to weigh and measure to lose weight eating whole foods.

I got to my highest weight eating a whole foods, plant based, vegan diet. All I ate was LOADS of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts and seeds. All healthy, balanced foods, just too much of it!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #6  
Southside White Sox Fan

True enough. It's the one thing that can make a person not successful on Core. When I stop losing, I have to re-examine whether I'm eating to satisfaction or to full or more.

I didn't focus on the "eat as much as you want" part of the article because I know that's not true. I believe you that it was in there but honestly, it didn't even sink in. My brain knows to ignore that! I still don't think you have to weigh and measure whole foods to lose weight. I'd argue that it's not necessary if you are able to gauge your satisfaction level. I know that's true because many of us are doing it successfully. But....it's not for everyone.

Last edited by Vickie; 07-13-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #7  
Tracie

S/C/G: 201.2/181.4/135

Height: 5'0"

Vickie, I agree. I don't weigh and measure anything I eat, but I eat to satisfaction. I have never been full since I have started this back in March. I really don't miss that awful feeling of being full and uncomfortable. As long as I eat to satisfaction, I really don't weigh and measure, although I really kind of know what 4 oz of meat is, and usually only eat about that much. I no longer eat those 8 -12 oz steaks that I used to eat. And if I have one in front of me, I never eat it all.

Last edited by twestra; 07-13-2008 at 12:30 PM.
twestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think the key to successfully "eating what you want" is really paying attention to what you want, and also for most people, a period of choosing only healthy foods to retrain what you want, both in terms of what you eat and portion size. That alone might be enough to drastically improve your health, but moderate daily activity would I think be key to weight control (much improved health and weight control not being exactly the same thing). Not that activity wouldn't also improve your health a lot.

That's a lot different than just telling someone who lives on junk food to eat whatever they want of healthy foods. Their appetites, and ability to listen to their appetites, is all skewed. But still, I have no doubt that many will never be able to eat well without paying special attention to portion control. I would even think that for most, it's a very very lofty goal.

It's a really hard thing to pin down. If someone is successful with it, it's hard to say other factors aren't at work too. If someone isn't successful with it, it's so easy to blame them for not *really* listening to their appetite, etc. (I'm opposing that view, not siding with it). But it's a concept I'm at least exploring and hoping to move towards.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote