Old 07-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #1  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Hello from a new member

Hello everyone! I have just found this site and I must say, I am pretty excited about it. Everyone seems so nice, and I've been looking for something like this for a long time.

Just a little background information about me: my name is Meredith, and I am 18 years old (I'll be 19 in about a month). Right now I weigh about 255, and my heaviest weight ever was about 280, a few years back. I started eating vegetarian a couple years ago and instantly lost a few pounds just doing that, and I also lost about 10 pounds over the course of my first year of college, just from having to stick to the rigidity of the meal plan at school and having to walk around campus a lot. But since I've been home for the summer, I've definitely been slipping--eating more, and not being as active. It worries me to think that I might undo all the progress I've made recently, so I think that it's time for me to make a REAL effort and start exercising and everything... The only problem is, I don't know where to start! Ideally, I'd like to lose about 100lbs. I'm 5'9", so this would be more than enough weight to put me at a healthy size.

I'm sure I might seem pretty young to all of you, but I feel like my weight keeps me from so many experiences. I've always been happy and had plenty of friends, but while my friends were having all of their "firsts" in high school or over this past year (first kiss, first boyfriend, etc), I've had basically no interaction with the opposite sex. Of course that I know that it's not entirely because of my weight, but I know that it plays a part in the fact that no boys have really been interested in me--especially since being heavy makes me very insecure about my looks, thus I have less confidence. I guess that even though I'm young, I'd really love to lose some weight before I graduate from college, so I'll really have something to look back on from the "best years" of my life. It can't be too late!

Also, my username comes from the fact that I love to act (just as a hobby, not as a potential career, hehe), and I feel like my weight also keeps me from getting a lot of the roles that I'd otherwise be considered for. I specialize in musical theater, which means lots of dancing, and somehow the choreography always calls for the girls to be lifted by the men--no one's been able to lift me for at least 10 years! It's embarrassing and disappointing not to be able to participate in the things I love. But I feel like, if I lose this weight, I WILL "be a star."

So, there it is. I guess I'm throwing my hat in the ring. I don't even know where to start! But I'm glad that I can (hopefully) count on the support of the people on this site. Wish me luck!

Cheers,
Meredith
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #2  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Hi Meredith, and welcome to 3FC!
You seem to have a good start on eating better, congrats on losing weight during your first year at college - not an easy feat!!

You might want to try calorie counting, since you seem to have some type of eating plan in place, it would be easy for you to do that. Do you log your intake on a site like thedailyplate.com or fitday.com ? That can be very helpful.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

You have come to the right place for support! Hope to hear lots more from you!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:59 PM   #4  
The Complete Newbie

S/C/G: 252/244.4/175

Height: 5"7'

Hi and welcome, Meridith! I'm new here as well. I've been here a whopping three days

I was definitely overweight in my teens and I wish I had done something concrete about it then. I'm now 31 and just feeling ready to make the permanent lifestyle changes I need to lose and keep the weight off for good.

Although this isn't exactly the same, I'll share a bit of background with you. I'm a recovering alcoholic/addict and have been sober for 17 years. While all my friends were out partying, getting drunk, etc, I lead a completely different lifestyle - much like being overweight when most of my friends were not. It did set me apart from my peers - and sometimes still does - but I've also gained crucial life experience that has and will continue to help me in other areas of my life (like now, with weight loss!)

What I'm trying to say is, embarking on a journey that's different from everyone else's can also be a good thing. When we lose our weight, you and I (and the many other people here), we'll have experienced a huge personal victory. How cool is that? The only difference is that you get to do it a few years before us. And I can say with certainty that, just like my alcoholism, the earlier you can do something, the better. That's awesome!

So, welcome!
Maven of Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:59 PM   #5  
kicking the habit

S/C/G: 220/219/135

Height: 5'4''

Hey, I just turned 21 so I completly understand how hard it is. I am 219 lbs...and Im just try to control my eating habits but nothing seems to be working. I just joined too....so good luck and hopfully we will make some great progress soon!
Rach87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 11:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Welcome Meredith,

I'm far from 19, but I've been overweight since adolescence. While I'm taking charge of my eating now, I wish I had done it sooner, I know I missed out on things because of weight.

This is a great place for support. Right now just think of making one small change. If you are less active than you were in college, maybe that change is some additional activity every day, a walk would do it.

Glad to see you here...
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:25 AM   #7  

Welcome Meredith! You sure have come to the right place for lots of support, motivation, and advice! I'm Lali, I'm 21, and we have just about the same starting weight. I'm 250 (though I'm quite a bit shorter, I'm only 5'2"). I've been here at 3fc for about a year, but only recently gotten back on the bandwagon, and haven't really lost much yet...

I wish you all the best of luck! If you ever need someone to talk to or a "diet buddy" feel free to PM me.
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote