Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 07-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #1  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default Gastric Bypass and Type 2 Diabetes

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't come up with a good search that gave me the results I was looking for.

Anyway, I've been reading a lot lately about how more than 80% of patients with type 2 diabetes see their diabetes go into full remission after having gastric bypass. Further studies have linked the remission directly to the disconnecting of the duodenum, NOT to the weight loss. In many cases, patients were able to stop taking all diabetes medications within just days of the surgery.

Now, I never wanted to have gastric bypass for my obesity only--it just didn't feel right for me. But, now that I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and the often accompanying high blood pressure at the ripe old age of 25, I have been doing a LOT more reading/research. Unfortunately, the chances of my diabetes going into remission with just diet and exercise and even medication are very slim, and I have a lot of years ahead of me to experience diabetes complications (most people are older when diagnosed--my mother was just diagnosed earlier this year as well).

Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you had diabetes prior to surgery and saw it go into remission? I'd love to hear about some personal experiences on the topic. From my understanding, this only occurs with gastric bypass, as lap band does not disconnect the duodenum.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #2  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

There is a study going on now for those with diabetes who are not over weight and are having the same result by "bypassing" the duodenum, not making the stomach smaller, directly attaching the small intestine to the stomach and getting simular results. It's in human trails here in the US, I'm looking forward to hearing about the results.

I had my type 2 leave only days after surgery...my brother is concidering having WLS for the same reasons. One of the most wonderful side effects of surgery is the health improvments. Weight loss is great, but I FEEL soooo much BETTER!

Good luck...and keep researching. Knowledge is the greatest offence.

Angela

ps...love the "parrot" on your shoulder!

Last edited by missangelaks; 07-07-2008 at 02:54 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 440/208/220 Exceeded by 12 lbs

Height: 5'10"

Find my blog and read it! I beat diabetes... I would do it again in a heart beat... Pazazz
Pazazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:36 AM   #4  
Eating for two!

Thanks for the comments everyone--I love 3FC so much!

The more reading I do, the more excited I get about the DS procedure. I have talked to insurance, talked to my doc, found a surgeon (researched, read patient experiences, etc.--didn't just open up the yellow pages!), registered for an informassion session, and started a binder of information just in case my insurance denies me (the binder s also good to show friends and family who have questions).
Old 07-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Jilly. I think about you often
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hey Jill -
A friend I teach with was diagnosed with type 2 about 5 years ago, and that is what prompted her to do WLS also. She was only mid 20s at the time with 2 small kids. She had actually considered it before, but since the surgery was denied by insurance, she couldn't afford it. Once the diabetes diagnosis was given, insurance covered the surgery.

I am not sure of the surgery she had (she just calls it gastric bypass), but whatever it was, yes, her diabetes totally reversed. She lost all the weight within maybe 8 months or so - it was very rapid to watch. She felt great, looked great (shopped her butt off), and NO MORE DIABETES... yea!

However, she has had some other health problems that have been quite serious, and these are apparently related to two things 1) the surgery itself and 2) the types of foods she eats (bad) even after the surgery (i.e. not following doctor's orders). In the last 2 years, she has actually been taken out of school 3x on a stretcher (!!!), which has been very scary to watch. Her first problem is that her kidneys are permanently "messed up" and the second is SEVERE ANEMIA, which means she has to get iron through iv's weekly, apparently forever. Finally, the most scary thing happened is this spring (one of her stretcher moments) - turns out she had a mini stroke (she is only 30). All of these are somewhat related to the surgery and her not being able to absorb nutrients, etc., but also largely due to her not taking care of herself the way she should.

These are all very serious health concerns and will apparently be with her forever. I know she eats a lot of junk (albeit less of it) and drinks a considerable amount of alcohol. She was also supposed to be taking some vitamins and things that she neglected to take. She is very regretful now that she took a lax approach with her health because again, she is young with small kids, and doesn't want to have these health issues facing her - it's frightening.

I didn't mean to go into that big tangent about my friend (really!), and I know you would take care of yourself after WLS much much better than she has. I think you know from previous posts that my DH is a 30 year type 1 diabetic - he has very good maintenance, but still - it is scary as ****. I mean, it really is a scary disease. I have several friends who have also been diagnosed with type 2 and I tell them the same thing... do whatever you have to do to avoid becoming an insulin dependent diabetic. If you get approved for surgery, then I think you are very wise for considering it. I know you will do your research and make the right choice for you! Keep us updated!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 380/Ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Jilly: Hi! I remember you from the other thread...I am sorry to hear about the diabetes diagnosis...but I am glad you are doing something about it!
I too am looking at WLS, but I feel the LapBand is the way for me to go. I started my 1st appt July 3, and feel like I am hitting a Dr.'s office every other day since then. If I can get everyone done and insurance approval quickly, I was told it could happen by the last week of August, which is great because I would love to have it done before school starts.
How is your fiance and that adorable little puppy doing? Well, I hope!
Take care and good luck!
MamaBplus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

Next weekend, I am meeting some other people for lunch who are in my area who have had the procedure I want. Some of them have even used the surgeon I hope to have. There will be people who haven't had surgery yet, someone only a month out from surgery, and some who are a few years out. Should be a great time for questions and information as well as support

Claire, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. One thing that has ben stressed to me more than anything else is that post-op, we MUST take our vitamins! I have even already printed out a schedule created by another patient of when to take everything (since you can't take the calcium with the multi, you can't take the iron with the calcium, some need to be taken an hour or two apart from the others...). I've even already mentioned to Jeff I would like to start an FSA at work to cover the cost of the supplements with pre-tax $$.

Donna, Jeff and I are doing very well, and our pups are almost a year old already (1 year August 1). Time flies when you're havin' fun, right?
Old 07-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #9  
ShrinkingPamelalala

S/C/G: 271/179/155ish

Height: 5'7'

I don't think it's limited to just one type of surgery. I know for sure that vertical sleeve gastrectomy patients are having the same results with type 2 diabetes. I've seen it over and over again on another forum I belong to. Maybe it's because the vsg is related to the ds, it's the first part of the ds, so they have similar results? As others have said, gastric bypass gets results as well. Be sure to check all surgeries out before making your decision and pick the one that is right for you

shrinkingpamelalala.

Last edited by tropigal; 07-12-2008 at 09:24 PM. Reason: can't spell tonight!
tropigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:45 PM   #10  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropigal View Post
Be sure to check all surgeries out before making your decision and pick the one that is right for you
I have, thanks This is not a decision to be taken lightly, and I have done endless hours of reading/researching. Clinical studies and analysis of post-op statistics show that, while other surgeries can "cure" type 2 diabetes, the DS has the highest rate of remission of any of them (over 90%)--this is actually true for most co-morbidities, not just diabetes.