Old 07-04-2008, 06:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Default Sugar spike

Today was July 4 festivities on our USAF base. We went and had lunch there. Unfortunately all they had were:

1. Hot dogs (not sausages but actual hot dogs...the cheap kind with the bread fillers)
2. Hamburgers
3. Mini corndogs
4. Barbecue chicken
*The only fixings were ketchup, mustard and sweet pickle relish
5. Brown sugar baked beans
6. Potato salad
7. Macaroni salad
8. Corn on the cob

Now I'm low carb.

I did fairly well though, I grabbed 2 small pieces of chicken and removed all the skin and as much of the sauce I could get off before I ate them. I ate 1 hamburger (meat only, no bun). I had one mouthful of beans and realized they weren't just baked beans, they were brown sugar baked beans.
Then I went across the way and bought 2 small bowls of fruit. I spooned all the apples, oranges and grapes from my bowl into my daughter's, leaving me with honeydew melon, canteloupe, kiwi and grapefruit.

And yet I still had a sugar spike (felt like bingeing after I got home, then got tired and cranky). Survived it but felt like crapola.

So, words of caution to any of you heading out for backyard barbecues...maybe take along a bag of celery or some cold cuts and cheese cubes.

Last edited by snapless; 07-04-2008 at 06:07 AM.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:36 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Reading your story makes me think of what I can look forward to on Sunday when I will be attending my nephew's graduation party. The perfect solution would be to be able to bring my own food...but...unfortunately, I am not able to do that because my sister-in-law feels "you shouldn't deprive yourself" So, I'll just do the next best thing...eat at home before I go Let them all "enjoy" their sugary, barbecue sauce laden foods & their lasagna and sugary desserts"...hopefully, she'll serve a green salad I can eat! Ahhh the joys of "family"
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:13 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Kim,

How about bringing something to the party for everyone... deviled eggs, ckn salad, a LC cheese cake (but don't tell anyone its LC) that way you can eat something.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #4  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

God, it's so hard to stay on plan at this kind of thing, isn't it? Sounds like you made the best of a bad situation, though.

Yesterday was the kids' last day at school, and we had a party. Despite all my valiant attempts to encourage them to bring some REAL food rather than nothing but crisps, sweets and coke, it was still a total carb-fest. I mean, it could have been worse - one lass brought a watermelon, bless her, one wee boy brought slices of green mango and one lad brought chicken nuggets. Other than that, though, it was pretty much cake, crisps, biscuits and wafers as far as the eye could see. I managed to scavenge a couple of pieces of spicy crunchy seaweed (yum!) before one of the kids spotted me and they all demanded some.

Anyway, wasn't at all tempted by the cakes and sandwiches and what-not. And then that evening we had our Staff Do, to which I took an almond-raspberry-chocolate cheesecake trifle of my own invention. It was a RESOUNDING success! I stayed on plan with my food choices for the savoury stuff, and was chuffed to bits that I could have a hearty portion of my own yummy low carb dessert, and not feel jealous of the chocolate platter, store-bought cheesecakes, chocolate cakes, banana bread et al. My dessert was gone before you could say "Jack Robinson" and people were coming and asking for the recipe! Yay!

However, afterwards I went on to a bowling/karaoke evening I'd organised (which went well) and got brought a complimentary coke - I asked for diet coke, and took a huge swig of it before realising it was the regular kind. (Sugar rush - head go boom!) Today I have indeed had the munchies, which is most unusual. Hmm...

Last edited by broadabroad; 07-04-2008 at 09:32 AM.
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
Kim,

How about bringing something to the party for everyone... deviled eggs, ckn salad, a LC cheese cake (but don't tell anyone its LC) that way you can eat something.

Leenie,

Its a great idea...but...she won't hear of it! The last time I decided to bring something for everyone...it "accidently" got left in the fridge & was never put out until everyone had eaten...therefore, I got to take the whole thing back home! She is on ww and eats anything & everything she wants. She does not understand LC...nor does she want to understand it. She took the opportunity last Christmas of giving me her version (mind you, in front of all the other family & guests) of why you should not "deprive" yourself. Keep in mind, this is the same girl who said to my Mother "Mom, I made you a bowl of whole wheat pasta!" after she was told Mom is gluten-intolerant!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Kim your sister-in-law sounds just like my sister. I'm sorry.

I think your idea sounds best. Eat before you go and maybe pick a few things (if there are any) that are acceptable for you to munch on.

If I'd known how pathetic the food choices were going to be today I'd have done that. BTW, the fruit bowl I purchased? Came from the on-base Starbucks next door to the event. It was the closest thing to healthy on their menu...otherwise they had donuts, muffins, chocolate cheesecake, and various other sugar-laden pastries.

I tried to make do with what I could, but after 2 months with very little sugar at all in my diet (I have the occasional SIX cherries or strawberries) just the mouthful of beans + the bit of fruit made me sick. I'm leaning toward the beans myself. I almost spit them out. My god how do people eat beans with that much sugar in them?
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Oh good golly Kim. I guess the best way to deal with her (and kinda get even for her evil doings) is to not eat at all... so yeah, eat before you go. I might even bring a plate of food for myself and say listen.... I can't eat your food so get over it ! Sounds like she is jealous of you.

Well in any case... I really don't want you to start trouble with the family LOL, have a good time and show her food really isn't what its all about.

You go girl !!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote