Old 07-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Default Jeremsgirl, this is for you!

I didn't know if you'd go back to the VLCD post and find this so that's why you get your own little thread.

If you were to go to the supermarket with me, you'd find that all my shopping is from the perimeter of the store. I hit the inner aisles for olive oil, oatmeal, wheat germ, and my husband's cereal.

I tend to eat the way Mediterraneans eat. My dad is from Spain, my mom is from the Dominican Republic, and if I had to choose between the two, the Spaniards eat a better fare than the Caribbeans. (Island folks eat way too much salt for my tastes.)

I eat all meats, dairy, vegetables, and fruits. The meats I eat are either broiled or grilled, not baked or fried. The dairy is fat-free, and dairy is the ONLY food I'll eat fat-free because when the fat is removed, nothing else is added to take its place. I wouldn't do that with "regular" food.

I eat most vegetables and fruits in their raw states, with the peels when possible. If I have to "cook" anything, it's steamed. I always, always, always add olive oil to my vegetables because without fat, the phytochemicals in the vegetables are not released. Therefore, no fat-free dressing ever, ever, ever.

Brown rice, and lots of it. Garbanzos (my favorites), pigeon peas (gandules), kidney beans, black beans, pinto beans, any bean that has NOT been Americanized (no refried beans, no chili and beans, none of that). You can buy them fresh for about $.50/pound or canned for a heck of a lot more. All I do is soak them the night before in the fridge, and the next day I treat them as I would canned beans. Other side dishes are couscous, tabbouleh (make sure the tomatoes are really fresh, really chilled, and throw in cilantro to blow your mind).

We eat fish at least three times a week, beef once a week, pork twice a week, chicken, once a week. No burgers. No hot dogs. None of that crap. When I go out to eat sometimes, I have a burger, medium rare, with onions and mushrooms because there is just nothing in this world like a well-made burger.

I do grill bratwursts with grilled onions and peppers whenever the Red Sox get to the finals, though.

We don't really snack around here but we'll sometimes lunch on hummus, whole wheat crackers, feta cheese, fontina, manchego, other hard cheeses like that.

Avocados don't last long around here.

We will slice plantain (green), wrap it in aluminum foil, add chunks of mango and pineapple, and throw that on the grill as a side dish sometimes.

Stuffed grape leaves is also good, easy, nutritious, and filling.

I eat no processed foods. I read about Lunchables on here the other day and didn't know what it was so I looked it up. It was scary. I eat nothing from the deli. Turkey breast is great stuff so I buy a turkey breast, cook the thing, slice it, and wrap it in romaine lettuce leaves with a bit of pesto for a breadless sandwich. I got that idea from a South Beach article.

I grow lots of herbs and we must have close to 200 spices in our cabinet that we use regularly. My husband travels a lot and he brought me back a five-pound batch of the best curry powder that someone mixed for him in India. We pick up saffron when we're in Spain, but we can get most of our spices at the grocery store and do okay with that.

We eat lots of sushi. It's easy to make. Cut and serve. Just make sure you ask for sushi-grade fish at the store.

No mayonnaise, but we've become mustard snobs and vinegar connoisseurs. No salt. Sugar in my coffee once a day. Half and half cream. No butter. Never have it in the house.

I eat no bread unless I order that burger at a restaurant. We don't even buy bread except for the occasional loaf of French bread so that we can make bruschetta topped with olive oil, mozarella cheese, a thick slice of tomato, and basil.

I don't care much for sugar or baked goods, desserts, or any of that, but I could go face down on cheesecake, chocolate-raspberry ice cream, and Hershey's kisses. The way I resolve that is to not buy it. When my husband and I run 30 miles in a week, we treat ourselves to the ice cream. We buy the little container and go through it on a Sunday night while reading our New York Times. It's our "sugar date".

I'm not an organic food nut so I use the regular supermarket. But I'm conscious of the chemicals in our food supply so I try to use my better judgment and stick to what seems most wholesome.

I raised four kids like this. The oldest (29) is a nutritionist and a vegetarian who has run four marathons. Second child (27) is a vegan and a competetive bicyclist waiting for the Tour de France to allow women to participate. Third is a boy (22) who eats only organic, and the baby (19) sticks to the Mediterranean fare.

I wouldn't say I have a weight problem because of the way I eat. I weighed 119 pounds my entire adult life until about four years ago when the pounds started creeping on as the metabolism slowed down. My problem is that I am not consistent with my training. If I just would get my butt out the door on a regular basis, I'd be just fine.

I don't follow recipes because after 30 years you kind of get a sense for how flavors work together. But if you need some guidance, check out Made in Spain, epicurious magazine, cooks illustrated magazine, and even FoodTV. I don't know that I can put the links on here but if you google the above, you'll find it all.

I hope this answers some questions for you. Food is wonderful. I'll never give up eating well as long as I live. And I am a firm, firm, firm believer that you can eat extremely well and maintain an adequate weight, be full of energy, and look great in a hot pink bikini!
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SCG: 226/210/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Thank you!

Thank you SO very much for all of this information! I will be printing it off so that I can look back on it when shopping. Almost all of the items that you mentioned I already eat. I think the biggest thing that you do not eat is whole wheat bread. I don't care for white bread, but I love a good whole wheat pita or slice of fresh whole wheat bread! I also have a hard time with fish. I can eat it when someone else cooks it, but am scared to cook it myself! And I just can't do sushi, I have tried, but believe it may be one of those acquired tastes that I have not tried to acquire!

I've always been a bigger girl, but didn't really put on the pounds until I got married. I think I gained an instant 15 pounds after I said "I do". My Husband eat's HORRIBLY! He was allowed to eat whatever he wanted as a child by an overindulgent Grandma (who died at 50 from Diabetes) and has never changed his ways. I love fruit and veggies but being sleep deprived and honeslty, just plain lazy, has put me at a stanstill with my weight.

I make sure that my children eat well, but haven't been as good to myself. When I do by junk food, it's for my Husband because if he doesn't have food to eat at home he gets fast food, which is a big drainer on the finances.

I agree with you, if my weaknesses are not in the house then I will not eat them. I haven't had the usual sugar intake for a week and I was asked to bring a dessert for a fourth of July party so I bought white chocolate for it. I had a tiny little piece today and it just didn't taste the same.

I guess I just needed to motivate myself. On the next grovery trip I will be sticking close to the perimeters and following some of the guidelines you posted. I am a big reader, too, so I'm going to get some of the nutrition books that the another person posted. I already know the basics on what to do and you verified that with your post, but I do like to read the science behond healthy eating.

How long have you been a runner? I started running after I had my son and then stopped when I was pregnant with my daughter, I was preeclamptic with both babies. I have not started up again because the air in this town is the worst in the nation (no joke). I really want to get back into it, though. FOr now I rollerblade and swim and do workout tapes.

Thank you again for your post. Sorry that this reply was sooo long! You have inspired me!
Jermsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #3  

Hello again,

Believe it or not, your husband may be your biggest problem. Ain't that always the way? I was married to a smoker once upon a time and I had the most terrible time sticking to my quit simply being around him. I got rid of the husband, but I still smoke. Not saying you should get rid of the husband, but I absolutely empathize with what you may be going through. At the end of the day, we just have to stick to our plans and build enough character to say no to those temptations.

Bread.... the staff of life. In Europe I ate bread. THAT was bread. Once I got back to the States, nothing came close so it was easy to bag the bread. You're eating whole wheat so at the very least you're getting some fiber, but as you start playing with other foods, you'll find it easier to give up the bread. Pita bread can be a lot of fun and I remember I used to eat that. I loved it stuffed with seafood salad but when I gave up the mayonnaise, I gave up the seafood salad. Or at least, I think they put mayonnaise in seafood salad.

Speaking of seafood, I promise you that if you cook seafood at home, the fish will not jump up and bite you. Listen... seafood is so stinking easy to cook that it boggles the mind. This is what you do.

1. Buy the fish.
2. But the lemons.
3. Wash the fish.
4. Place fish on grill or broiler for three to five minutes on each side.
5. Serve the fish.
6. Eat the fish.
7. Take the leftover lemon wedges and put them down your disposal. (Your kitchen will smell yummy and you'll feel like a bona fide chef.)

Told ya it was easy!

So try the fish. Salmon is easy, tilapia is easy, shrimp is easy. Once you get that nailed, move into the "oiler" fish, and just be sure to go easy on the swordfish.

I was a weight lifter for about twelve years starting in 1990. Running is relatively new to me (18 months) but with no stickability, I still say it's new to me.

Registering for the Miami Marathon was my way to make myself accountable because I went and e-mailed the whole world about and I spent $80 to register. I'm proud and I'm cheap. Sometimes that's all it takes. I also needed a large goal like that to get me off cigarettes. I don't know when I'll stop but in the past, it just sort of happens naturally as the fitness starts to fall into place.

You sound like a delightful young woman, and I have great respect for what you're doing for yourself and for your children. I understand that fast food is a drain on the checkbook and I can empathize with a grown man set in his ways. What are you gonna do? All you CAN do is love your man, lead your children, and hope they'll all get out of YOUR way as go through this process.

Stay close to the forums. Even when we're cranky we're pretty cool. We're like a bunch of sisters around here and sometimes we bicker like the best of them. But you will form incredible bonds here and there will be days when you laugh your behind off or ache over someone's pain.

It's all good and I'm glad you're here. I'm glad we're ALL here!
Old 07-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #4  

PS - Don't say veggies. Say vegetables. A food group as fine as that deserves its full name.

*wink*
Old 07-03-2008, 11:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SCG: 226/210/165

Height: 5'9"

Default veggetables

haha about the vegetables! I will never say veggies again! My poor Husband, I really do feel sorry for him! I come from a family that loves REAL food! Not the fake stuff you get at the drive through, so thankfully my palate is pretty refined. I do crave the occasional cheeseburger, but my Dad makes the best with sauteed onions and mushrooms that the burger chains could never compare! My biggest problem is the snacking, which I have pretty much cut out. Thank the Lord! I was also having a hard time with late night munching because I wake up about 2-3 times a night to nurse my daughter which made me HUNGRY! I have cut that out also.

I'll be praying for you to stop smoking! (don't know if your religious, but I figure any help is good help! ). I smoked briefly in High School, told on myself and then had to stop. Thank God for my parents! HAHA!

I would have to say Trader Joes Pita bread with their sun dried tomato hummas is one of the best things I have ever tasted! I crave the stuff! I've been watching it lately, though. Thank you soooo much again! I will continue to post on the boards. I never have before, but I already feel better knowing there are other people going through my same struggles.

P.S. I'll be trying some fish in the next week or so and I'll let you know how I do!
Jermsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:51 AM   #6  

I wouldn't stop snacking while nursing. I nursed all my kids and if I remember correctly, you burn massive calories just in producing milk. You could do unsweetened peanut butter on whole wheat crackers with apple wedges or bananas. Ripe pears are also good. If you're sticking to say 2000 calories a day, distribute them in such a way that you can snack when you nurse.

Make sense?