Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #1  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Default What would you lose if you lost

an AVERAGE of 2.7 pounds per month?

or an AVERAGE of .6 pounds per week?

would that work for you?

the reason I ask is that is exactly what I've done SO FAR on my weight loss journey...

but I've done it for 112 weeks or 26 months.

that's right in 26 months i've lost 71.2 pounds.

NO it's not fast but i'm losing...

I post this to encourage those who want to give up NOT to give up.

I have had months where i've gained. I've had months where i've lost a pound or less and have been frustrated.

the KEY to long term successful weight loss (and isn't that what we all want) is patience and perserverance. JUST KEEP ON DOING IT....
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #2  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

You are right!!!!! That is what I always tell folks is the hardest part of losing weight.............sticking to it. Over time if you continue to watch what you eat and work out the weight will fall off. That is the most valuble lesson I have learned on this journey. As long as you stick to the plan it will all come together!!!!!!! Great post.

Last edited by Matilda08; 07-01-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

to you ladybug your weight loss, and a warm thank you for posting the message of hope for anyone getting frustrated with slow loss.

Keep on doing what you do!
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #4  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I hear you!
48 months ago I was 250 pounds.
Now, I am 100 pounds lighter. That is an average of 2 pounds a month. If I had given up a long time ago, I would not be where I am today!

Patience is the key.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #5  
No description available.

Thanks, Nessa, for a wise and true post. Congrats on your loss!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #6  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Thanks for posting this! In the long run I only have about 40lbs to lose but its very frustrating because of how slowly it comes off, and stalls and fluctuates. but I know in the long run it's healthy and probably going to be easier to maintain.

Thankyou for the encouragement and 70lbs is a huge achievement, well done
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Very encouraging, thank you! I've been feeling frustrated in the past few days, but I know that you're right!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #8  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I think that losing it a little more slowly is a reasonable, attainable and most importantly a SUSTAINABLE way to do it for a lot of us!

To Nessa and Fiberlover for all you've done and continue to do!!!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

So many of us need reminding of this from time to time. What's the rush if we are truly in this for life and not on a diet, what's a few more months or even years going to make? I had to remind myself of this last month when I had my first month of the last 13 when I lost nothing overall (OK I actually lost and gained).

Patience is definitely a virtue.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:18 AM   #10  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I'm right in there too . . . 70 pounds since January 1, 2006 . . . and that's an average of 2.333 pounds per month.

Bottom line . . . never lose sight of the fact that it was the tortoise that actually won that famous race.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:52 PM   #11  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the reminder...but what about clothes? I know slowly is the way to go, and you are doing things exactly right but do you buy a whole new wardrobe for each size? If I lose more quickly, I can get by wearing 3 or 4 outfits for a month or so per size down, (plus my wear only-at-home too large garb) but if I lost very slowly I'd need more of a selection for work/church/activities and I just can't afford to buy an all new wardrobe for each size/season. How do you handle this?
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #12  
ONEderland here I come!

S/C/G: 286/210/200 (next goal)

Height: 5'2.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Thanks for the reminder...but what about clothes? I know slowly is the way to go, and you are doing things exactly right but do you buy a whole new wardrobe for each size? If I lose more quickly, I can get by wearing 3 or 4 outfits for a month or so per size down, (plus my wear only-at-home too large garb) but if I lost very slowly I'd need more of a selection for work/church/activities and I just can't afford to buy an all new wardrobe for each size/season. How do you handle this?

interessting question. I honestly can't say it's been a problem. I tend to wear my stuff big now and before i wore it tight so maybe i wear the wrong size a bit longer than I should.

I'm very blessed in that jeans and casual clothes are fine for work so i truly only need one wardrobe.

i wore a skirt yesterday that has a drawstring waist. I wore this skirt last summer and it was a bit big and the summer before and it fit just fine... this summer if I push it I can wear it... and i push it cause i love this skirt.

besides at my size i need to lose 20 pounds before i'm even remotely out of a pair of pants... skirts and tops are more forgiving...
ladybugnessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:33 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 321.8/261/164

Height: 5'7"

I've been feeling discouraged lately because my weight loss has slowed down a lot. I realized that I am thinking I "should" be losing more because I am so overweight. Thanks for writing this. It puts it in to perspective more. My husband had to give me a pep talk last night. He said that it's more important that I have made a lifestyle change because that's the hardest part. That means I won't regain the weight, like I have in the past. My progress might be slower but it will be a lasting change. That gives me hope!
thesusanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've lost 51 lbs in three years, so my average is (well, let's not calculate it, as it will depress me).

The stereotypical course of weight loss that will be fast in the beginning and slow down considerably, doesn't work very well for me (at least I hope not). If I don't speed up my rate of weight loss it could take me 10 years or more to reach my goal weight.

That thought nearly sent me into a panic, and a (brief) temptation to go onto Atkins induction or SBD Phase 1. I restrict carbs, because I am insulin resistance and it's the only way I can lose on a comfortable calorie level. However drastically cutting carbs makes me nauseous, dizzy, and rabid-dog mean.

I calmed down, and reminded myself that the odds are I will lose weight more quickly as I am able to move and exercise more, and as I build more muscle. Though I also reminded myself that even if it DOES take me 10 years to get to goal, it's certainly better than gaining or even maintaining my weight during those 10 years.

We're still conditioned to think that less than 1 lb of weight loss per week isn't "good enough," or is somehow in the "race" it means we're lagging way behind. But the fact is that for the statistics of this "race," nearly any consistent loss puts us in the upper percentages. If weight loss were a marathon foot race, it would be a race in which a thousand people enter and only 100 even finish, so even the guy that finishes 6 hours behind anyone else is still in the top 10%.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:53 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I think some people may be feeling discouraged because it is summer where many of the 3FC posters live. They may be swelling because of the heat.

It is extra aggravating because summer is the time of year when extra weight is the most visible.

I agree -- slow and steady wins the race. And the real winners are the maintainers. In some sense, the number of lbs they've dropped per week keeps decreasing!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote