Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-01-2008, 07:25 AM   #1  
Mel

Default Lift and Chat: July 1 - 15, 2008

Happy Canada Day! Do we have a Maple Leaf smilie? and Happy July 1st.

I was greeted this morning by 3 deer on my front lawn at 6:20 when I went out to get the newspaper. The sight of me, dripping wet in sports bra and my OSU lacrosse shorts sent them running to the neighbors' garden where they ate THEIR lilies instead of mine. I'm sure what's left of mine will be gone by the time I get home tonight, but it was entertaining scaring them.

Today is LEGS LITE at lunch. I'm going to do hack squats, single leg stand-ups, a lunge matrix, Bulgarian split squats, and hamstring ball pulls. I should be sufficiently drenched that it will be hard to go back to work

Have a great day, and a great start to July

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:02 AM   #2  
Meg

Mel -- will you come be the scarecrow in my backyard?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:50 AM   #3  
No description available.

I started my July with a 3 mile run and a pile of protein pancakes. Have a great day, all!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:29 AM   #4  

Hey everyone- because its canada day everythings closed here. i cant go any where.

I did w/o B2 yesterday- alittle sore from it but i think i am good. However i completly under ate for what i needed to eat. I just completly forgot i needed to eat 2000. It seems like i have to constantly eat to get in all the food i need to eat in a day.

With all the calories i have been eating- the scale has not moved so im guessing that is a good thing because i do not want to lose, just gain muscle.
sportsfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:00 AM   #5  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

I'm still trying to get the food back on track and lose the few pounds I gained recently. I hope I'm on my way. I had what I thought was a great UBWO yesterday but I'm not at all sore right now....hmmm....it was either not as good as I thought or it just hasn't kicked in yet.

Yes, Canada Day here so most things are closed. I've done some gardening but didn't get in my run. We're going to a soccer game later and the weather is beautiful!

midwife - I'm envious of your run and your pancakes! I made a big batch earlier this week and even had some blueberries to throw in. I love them and wish I had someone to make them for me everyday! I find them a bit of work when I think of all the dishes to wash...but I still love 'em!

I hope everyone has a great day.

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #6  

Elisa,
Yeah, I put blueberries in mine, too. When DD gets up at 5:30 to run with me, I whip up protein pancakes for the two of us. I just use my magic bullet blender so that is not too bad. Plus, DD does the dishes for me. I highly advise obtaining a 15 year old for kitchen cleaning purposes.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #7  
Out there trying

midwife - so that's what I'm missing...a teenager! I use a regular blender, which is fine to clean but, because I'm hungry, I use two frying pans so it always seems like a mess to clean up.

You know what else? I was feeling blue since I don't have time for my run right now (and just painted my toenails ) but then I thought, what's wrong with after the soccer game? I don't think we'll be home too late and it's light out quite late. The only issue will be the "people traffic" where I normally run. It's Canada Day and the boardwalk on the beach will be way too packed to run. That's okay, if I want to go, I'll pick a different route.

Now it's time to find something for lunch.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

Yay, Elisa, finding a way to get that run in!

on the encounter with the deer, Mel! Back in 2001 I was at a conference in Santa Cruz, CA, and running early in the morning, in the fog and this deer and I came face-to-face. I don't know which of us was more startled! These small almost gray deer were everywhere on the campus of UCSC where we were staying. Much smaller than the east coast whitetails.

I'm still lethargic and finding it hard to make myself go exercise. I've got another doc's appt on 7/22, but I may see if I can move that up. (Of course, I'm also on call for jury duty this month - and as soon as I make an appt you can be sure I'll get called....) I do have my gym stuff in the car, and plan to at least do some cardio after work.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #9  

I just bought some cottege cheese and i opened it up and took a bit. Let me tell you its not that great.

Does anyone have any recipes or things i can eat with it.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 05:38 PM   #10  
Mel

Personally, I love cottage cheese, but there are loads of things you can do with it or mix in to change the taste or consistency. Which is it that you don't like?

I usually have a mix of cottage cheese and yogurt for my 10 am meal, with a few blueberries or strawberry slices thrown in.

I've also nuked it over apple slices and added cinnamon. You could add an egg white, a bit of splenda, and bake it in sprayed muffin tins to make a mock cheesecake. I've made "salad dressing" out of it in the blender with spices and a few spinach leaves for color.

My daughter mixes it with tuna and salsa...now that sounds gross to me, but she like it

Pat- My favorite wildlife story (other than the sea gull who fell dead out of the sky on my truck windshield in Sault Saint Marie) was the time that I stalked a moose to get a good photograph in Northern Quebec. Little did I know that 1) the moose couldn't care less and let me get about 15 feet from him and 2) moose have been known to charge freight trains and come out no worse for it. It was an incredibly dumb thing to do. But I have some GREAT moose photos!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:05 PM   #11  

I love cottage cheese!

I eat it with berries, walnuts & honey; blended with oatmeal & eggs for protein pancakes; with spinach, olives, and roasted red peppers; with ground turkey and chile or tomato sauce. I imagine it would be good with basil and cracked black pepper....

I hope that someday you will like it as much as I do.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Wow, I had to go look up jamskating after that description! For us old farts, I'd relate it to roller disco from our era, crossed with break dancing. Think the movie Zanadu. These kids are amazing and quite athletic. The utube if anyone wants to check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvg7C...eature=related
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Freak, I'm withya on the ctg cheese. I have even tried buying those Breakstone mixers, where it's cottage cheese with strawberry sauce that you can mix in or cherries sauce and blech. For me it's definitely the consistency. I think I could get used to the taste. Let me know if you crack the code on it!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 PM   #14  

thanks for all of your sugesstions.

Sportsmom- i do hate the consistency of it the taste is iffy.

Ill see what i can do with it.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #15  
Out there trying

Pat - I'm sad to say you'll have to take back the "yay" for me since I didn't get in the run. We got home later than I thought we would and it was doable but it would have been tight for time.

Now, if anyone knows how to not beat themselves up over this type of thing (eating the wrong thing, missing a workout) let me know. It's something I constantly struggle with.

Mmmm...cottage cheese. I do love it but only some brands. In this country it's Dairyland or nothing for eating plain. Anything will do for the protein pancakes.

Mel - what do you do for the cottage cheese/yogurt ratio? Is it a half/half thing? I'd like to try it because I love yogurt but here, I can't find a brand with any decent amount of protein in it for the calories.

sportsfreak - check out this section of Krista's site for lots of cottage cheese ideas.