The Biggest Loser - Winning by Losing For discussion of the NBC tv show The Biggest Loser and the book Winning by Losing, by Jillian Michaels

Old 06-26-2008, 10:27 PM   #1  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Default biggest loser australia-discussion

I am sure some of you have already seen this- I think it is a repeat but the contestants from biggest loser australia are discussing their experience. I must admit I have never watched the show before but I am fascinated by how they do what they do.
The winner who lost more weight at home than on the show said that his secret weapon was that he runs 25k every day-insanity!!!!
I have heard all sorts of different things- they exercise all day long- and the opposite that there less time exercising than we perceive.
I have to say I am impressed when I see what they have to do at their highest weight- 1 hour intense uphil walk/runs. I know I couldn't have done it I would have been in tears.
They just said Kristi was able to lose almost 10 kg in one week sometimes- how is that even possible- even if it was the first week only- but they implied it wasn't.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #2  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Ok- this might be it. re 10 kg loss One of them just explained a strategy. When they got immunity they would increase their salt consumption (ie more processed foods) and drink alot more water so their weight loss would be masked by water retention that week. The next week they would go back to how they were supposed to eat and drink the water weight and real weight loss would then be apparent and appear magnified for that week. I guess it really is a game.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #3  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I thought it was kind of silly, the diddling with water and salt intake. But then again, as long as they were making their own meals, they could have done anything they wanted. I could hardly believe it when Kristie said she lost 10 kg in one week.
Adro looked really good in the last episode (the one you refer to) but I, too, thought that running upwards of 20 km a day is a bit of an overkill, to put it mildly.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:59 AM   #4  
=D

Whoa you guys are talking about the first australian series from like 3 years back.
Adro has kept the weight off and is now a personal trainer with his own weight loss facility. They are now casting for the 4th series. I hope they keep showing it in the US, I think you guys will like the later series. I'm a fan of the american version - since they show it here once a week in a two hour time slot. It's like settling in to watch a friday night movie!

Last edited by mazza; 07-15-2008 at 01:00 AM.