Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 182/182/120

Height: 5'7"

Default Yoga vs. Pilates?

I'm looking for opinions from people who have tried each successfully or otherwise.

Which do you feel works better for you, and why?
Can you recommend a good starting point for a beginner in either of the two? A video, a routine, a website, etc.

Thanks!
<3 Rae
RaeOfLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #2  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

I"ve done both... I'm a much bigger fan of Yoga as it settles my mind more than Pilates.

In my opinon - Pilates is calistenics in a more fluid/relaxing movement... Yoga is holding and strenghtening/stretching PLUS gaining the mental clarity.

I feel Yoga is tougher and a better ovarall work out.
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #3  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

I prefer Pilates to Yoga - I feel like I workout harder in Pilates - but I take a mixed Pilates class at my gym - we don't just stick to basic Pilates moves - my instructor incorporates Yoga moves and ab exercises into our Pilates classes.
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Both. I've done Pi-Yo and Mat Pilates and like the combination of both. I do think that straight Pilates is much harder than straight yoga.

Just my opinion!
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I've tried both, although I'm not the yoga or pilates "type" so my advice probably isn't as helpful.

Yoga... I was forced to do in high school... definitely not my thing, with all the new-agey touchy-feely stuff. It was a nice way to work on flexibility but I find myself distracted by trying not to laugh most of the time. :P

Pilates seems to be based on some shakey science, but I told myself to let it slide and I definitely got a good core workout from it. I might do it again if it were cheap and convenient. I tried to do it at home, not in a class setting, but wasn't motivated enough to stick with it.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Both.
I like yoga for flexibility, focus, stress relief and balance (physical and spiritual).
I like pilates for building core strength, toning muscles and challenging me in a way that I enjoy.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 09:23 PM   #7  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Good question.
As you can see from the answers so far, it may be a question of personal preference - of course, that would mean you would need to try both.
My preference is Yogalates - combination of yoga and pilates; but I don't know if it exists on a DVD. I took a few courses in Yogalates and I loved it, but I have to say candidly that we had the most terrific instructor you can imagine. She worked us really hard and even though that was the only exercise I was doing at that time, (and I did not limit my food intake) I firmed up in my core and lost some inches at waist. I did not measure myself but I could just tell because all of a sudden I would fit into jeans that I could nto wear prior to that, etc.

Having said that, if I cannot have Yogalates, then my preference would go to Pilates. I was never able to find the inner Zen in me with yoga and I feel that the pilates gives me better benefits - stronger and firmer core, and you can glean some balance there as well.

Suggestion - see if your local library has DVDs you can rent so that you can see which one you would prefer. Neither will make you lose weight, but pilates will tone you up more. JMHO of course.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #8  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Both for me, for all the reasons already mentioned.

I started doing yoga as a kid (my mom was obsessed with the PBS yoga program, so I started at the age of FOUR if you can believe that) and have also taken it at spas and the gym and the Y and anywhere else!

Pilates, I've never been able to afford on the machines (in LA, those classes on the true Pilates equipment are *very* high-priced and exclusive), but I've done mat Pilates quite a bit and got started at home using "Pilates for Dummies," which is deceptively simple and *really* booty-kicking once you get going at it!

Hope that helps!
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 11:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Doesn't it also depend on the kind of yoga? I've never done pilates, but the yoga I do focuses on core quite a bit, so I don't know that I'd see that benefit to pilates for core.

I also just find yoga to be hard. Holding poses for a number of minutes really works my whole body. Perhaps in a different way than pilates, but I find yoga to be very challenging!

So, I think it depends on the kind of yoga (or pilates) you're doing and the kind of benefits you're looking for.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 182/182/120

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for all your answers guys! That's been very helpful.
Can anyone recommend a good routine/video that they enjoy?
RaeOfLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #11  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

You'll get many opinions again! I've tried a few dvd's but never any classes.

The Winsor Bun & Thigh workout was a good and effective place for me to start. I don't have a reformer or any other expensive equipment. http://www.amazon.com/Winsor-Pilates...4405437&sr=1-3 I wouldn't buy it through amazon, though. you can get it on hre site or through Collage video.

I also REALLY like the MTV pilates (I actually like the pilates/yoga series from MTV): http://www.amazon.com/MTV-Pilates-Kr.../dp/B00015GA9E

I also enjoy 2 Crunch dvd's - Fat Burning Pilates: http://www.amazon.com/Crunch-Burning...ref=pd_sim_d_4 & Pick Your Spot:http://www.amazon.com/Crunch-Pick-Yo...ref=pd_sim_d_2

Last edited by Nori71; 06-25-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote