Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-23-2008, 06:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 137.5/136/120

Height: 5'1

Default any suggestions about pay

Hello everyone -
I am back yet again with another question-
My husband has fill all requierments for wls-even lost more
weight than they asked him- Yahoo for him- he is looking and feeling great!
Anyhow he has no disablity insurence and only a few vacation days left for the year. Doctors say he can schedule wls at any time but not sure how the heck we will pay our bills if we have no income. orginally he was going to wait until january so he would have more vacation ect- now he would like to get it done and start his new healthy life. I just wondered if you all have any suggestions from your own experince. We talked about selling a few things to make ends meet-which is fine with me whatever makes him happy and healthy.
He will be having the full boat baratric-doctor is telling him he will be out up to 4 weeks-he works construction. Wondering what your expereinces are with the amount of time it will take to recover. doctor says he is more afraid of dumpind and sickiness than the actaully work he does.

thanks again
as always for your help
It is so nice to have a place to go to ask questions
not sure what we all use to do before computers and internet!
take care
colleen
jamer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:49 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

state disability plan? not sure if it applies here [but it's worth asking about at the department of labor or unemployment office].

would he qualify for unemployment? again - i'm not sure what the rules are in your state, but it's worth asking a few questions.

as for the doc's concerns - what's going to be absolutely critical for your husband to do when he goes back to work will be KEEPING HIS PROTEIN WITH HIM and making sure that he has GALLONS of water with him at all times. he'll go through more than he can possibly imagine, and with the labor that he does, his water requirements will be even higher than mine! and mine is more than a gallon a day. for sitting at a desk.

about the protein - right after surgery, this will be about the only thing he'll be able to consume. and i found - and this is just me - that if i didn't consume about 15 grams of protein EVERY 3 HOURS i got dizzy. your husband might need MORE than that while he's working.

don't get me wrong - this isn't impossible- it's totally do-able, but you both gotta do some planning.

one really important thing to remember: after his surgery, things like protein and vitamin supplements become MEDICALLY NECESSARY, so you can take them as a medical tax deduction when you file on april 15.

Last edited by jiffypop; 06-23-2008 at 09:49 AM.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #3  

Hi all this is my first post... My wife is actually having wls tomorrow morning. We have been planning this for 6 months financially. Being a 2 income household (that relies on both incomes) we've been saving a little every payday to supplement for the time she is out of work. (We've also had to put aside our tax return and tax stimulus check for this as well.) With what we have saved it will be like she is still getting a paycheck for her time out.Like what was said by jiffypop "this isn't impossible- it's totally do-able, but you both gotta do some planning."
Good luck!!!
slc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 137.5/136/120

Height: 5'1

honestly I thought I had more time to plan about expenses- but since he lost the weight they asked him to lose so fast-the doctor is looking for him to come up with a date for wls. And with the fact that he found out he has sleep apena-he wants to get it done!! Which I dont blame him. We talked about january when he first went in figuring he would be on new vacation cycle and unfortantly he might have to wait until then-I'll keep you posted.
Best wishes to your wife(SLC73) for a speedy recovery!
Take care
Colleen

ps I know what you mean about the protien being medical nesserary jiffypop.
I tried to tell him that he could waste away- not sure it is sinking in.
I asked the doctor if he was going to be like a baby and have learn to eat all over again and he said yes......this should be interesting
jamer5 is offline   Reply With Quote