Old 06-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 262/ See Ticker / 150

Height: 5' 4"

Default Wii & Wii Fit

OK.. we broke down and ordered a Wii online. I am actually pretty excited about it. I love to play video games, and once a month DH and I would have a gamers day (usually a Sunday) where we would game all day and snack. (fun, but not very healthy).

I was playing a demo of a role playing game at the store yesterday. The character is a knight type with a sword and you go around killing monsters and zombies. Yes, I know - violent, but I love those kinds of games. While playing the game, you have to move as if you are wielding the sword and dodging. The few minutes I was playing without being embarrassed I actually had my heart racing!

We ended up purchasing more controllers and other stuff in preparation so the whole family can play.

I am going to get the Wii Fit 'game' as soon as our Wii arrives. Does anyone else have one of these? If you do, how are you incorporating it into your exercise? What is your opinion of it?

I am more likely to play a game and exercise at the same time, than riding my stationary bike or walking dodging mosquitoes (that would be a mos-dodge-wog? LOL). They are bad this year with all of the flooding!

Anyone else have a Wii? What kinds of games do you have?
Chey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

We ordered a Wii and a Wii Fit and we are just waiting for them to arrive.
I'd love to hear how others incorporate this into their workout plans!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #3  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Unless you are only interested in answers from others in the Weight Watchers Flex forum, there have been several threads about Wii and WiiFit . . . this is one of the more recent ones . . .

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...ghlight=WiiFit
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #4  
live. love. travel.

S/C/G: 298/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi ladies! I just received my Wii and Wii Fit from an online order. I've only had it for three days but I really like it so far. I would not replace any of my regular workout with the Wii Fit but I think it's great for replacing some of my "sitting around just watching TV" time. There's something to be said for standing and moving around instead of just sitting around but I don't think it provides the same level of intensity as walking, jogging, strength training or aerobics. It does seem like it will be a welcome activity for me in the morning for stretching. I've also become more aware of my center of balance and the way I distribute weight in my feet--after only three days!

The best part of the Wii Fit is that it's fun. It's an enjoyable way to spend 30 minutes to an hour that I would normally spend sitting on the couch doing nothing. Some activities get my heart rate up a little bit and I'm thankful for that.
sunshower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

This isn't about the Wii Fit but when I played with the Wii for the first time at my BIL's house and did the boxing thing - my arms were SORE for two days afterwards! It was a ton of fun
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:10 PM   #6  

Thanks meowee! I guess I was a little lazy and didn't do a search. I post primarily here in the Flex boards - haven't ventured too far from home but a time or two. LOL

We have 4 different gaming systems and have just added the Wii. My DH and I love to play video games, but with my "more educated self" realizing that while sitting on my behind playing is a lot of fun, it isn't very conducive to my losing weight. After playing demos in the stores, I realize that I can combine the two. Really - that game (Dragon Blade) had me moving and any movement for me is a good thing.. LOL

Suite - I am looking forward to that boxing game too. I guess it depends on how much you get into it, but it looks like a lot of jumping around is involved as well as the arm movement. LOL - could this be a way to lose those bat wings?

I don't intend to substitute the Wii for any type of strength exercise, but from what I have experienced (as a desk jockey), the movement that I experienced with just that one game was good. Our whole family loves to play video games - since we purchased 4 controllers, we can all play

Last edited by Chey; 06-22-2008 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

I was REALLY going at it with the boxing - something very exciting beating up some guy virtually It was so much fun, I sure did start sweating!

I love a lot of video games too, it's so much fun to play with DH. It gets a little more physical when we start punching each other and stuff to try to make the other person lose - and hey, it's more active than just passively watching TV anyway. Don't feel bad baout it
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 02:45 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by suitejudyblueeyes View Post
I was REALLY going at it with the boxing - something very exciting beating up some guy virtually
A wonderful way to get out all that aggression!

According to UPS it is supposed to arrive on Wednesday!
Old 06-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #9  

I have a Wii Fit and love it. Instead of watching television in the evenings, I do the Wii Fit. The step and boxing are my favorite and my daughter likes the running in place. My husband likes the Ski jump.

We rented a couple of games for the Wii this weekend. Mario and Sonic at the Olympics and a Pinball game. The Olympics seems to be fun but haven't played pinball yet.
kahnfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 150/Ticker/127

Height: 5'3"

I haven't gotten a Wii yet ( nor will I beable to afford one for a while! ) but I reallllllllllllllly realllllllllly want one I saw a yoga game for it advertised around mothers day ( ofcourse ) I want it much!

I am getting Dance Dance revolution super nova 2 for my ps2 that I have already .. I LOVED the idea of playing a game to exercise as I get bored with mostly every single work out I have tried .. which leaves me skipping and not wanting to ever do it ! and DDR apparently has a "weightloss mode" and other health features ! as soon as I get the $$ for it I'm going to play it 30-45 mins everyday added on to my nightly walking ( what a gaol eh? ) ... but I hope to add Wii to that too! ( you guys got me wanting to play boxing with the hubby )

I honestly don't see anything wrong with entertainment that provides exercise ... I think its great for america , this new technology
onesullengurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #11  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I like the WiiFit step routines a lot and I also like the WiiSports that comes with the original console. I'm really anxious to get DDR for the Wii -- but tough to find around here.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #12  

It is difficult to find around here too. It was LeeAnne that pointed me in the direction of online ordering otherwise I doubt that we would get one. (Thanks LeeAnne) A lot of people are/were buying them in the stores to sell online to make a profit. We tried to get one - stayed in line forever only to see a family of 4 buy 4 of them - each one grabbed one. (it is only 1 per person) Hubby asked them what they planned on doing with them and the offer was made to him to purchase one of them for $500!!!! He told them no, and the remark was made that it didn't matter.. they could get that from ebay! Oh well...
Old 06-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #13  

Default I like my Wii Fit

Hi,

I posted this article to my blog on Wii fit:

So, the question of the day is, does Wii Fit work? Well, the answer is yes, of course it works, but YOU are still the one that has to be motivated to use it, and of course you have to be willing to actually do all the exercise!

What is cool about the Wii Fit is that it makes exercise fun (and in most cases more challenging which I mentioned before). You get to do yoga poses (I would never ever go to a Yoga class, but I don't mind trying poses in the comfort of my own home). You get to do strength training (without weights/resistance) so it is basic strength training (although it is by no means beginner, aka you will be down on the floor doing sit-ups and push-ups etc.). For aerobics there is hula hopping (very tiring), jogging (you can jog against your friends which is really amusing), dancing like Dance Dance revolution but dummed down a bit. For balance, you get to do ski jumps and ski hills, tight-rope walking -- all sorts of weird crazy fun stuff you'd never do at the gym. So, if you can imagine yourself, in your living room, standing on your Wii Fit board (which calls some people fat sometimes, by the way), doing some of these things, then yes it will work! If you want weight machines, and recumbent bikes to do exercise, then no, you probably won't like Wii Fit, so it probably won't keep you motivated very long.

By the way, Wii Fit is very smart about how it keeps you motivated. For every 10 minutes you exercise, it opens up a new exercise for you to try. Also, the # of reps and time on each exercise, and speeds increase as you get more and more advanced. This setup gives me a great sense of accomplishment. Also, more games will be coming out for the Wii Fit (I can post about them if there is interest), so there will be even more variety (I have no issue with variety today, but I could see possibly being bored after a few months).

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to my blog or not, so I won't, to be safe. But, it is available in my profile if you'd like to take a look (I wrote one additional article on wii fit as well).
elizabeth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #14  
live. love. travel.

S/C/G: 298/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Elizabeth - great post! I'd love to hear more about the new games coming out for Wii Fit if you can spill.
sunshower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:00 PM   #15  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Wii Fit- It is a work out, there is yoga - aerobics - and strength - and also balance games.
I find if you stick with one thing, say yoga for about 15 minutes, then it is certainly a workout, the game slows you down in between each session. So 30 minutes of working out, actually takes about 45, ya know. That is my major complaint.
Otherwise it is awesome, keeps scores and records and it is a very SMART board.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote