Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-22-2008, 09:10 AM   #1  
Blue Team Member

S/C/G: 297/229/150

Height: 5'5/168cm

Default have you ever noticed....??

have you evernoticed that your skin gets itchy when you workout??..

Lately my skin is so itchy when im working out i can hardly stand it .. it on my upper arms and legs.. they get all red and itch like mad.. the skin itself is pretty clear so it does make any sense.. why would it get like that when i exercise?? am i allergic to my own sweat or something..? lol

anyone got any idea on how to stop this? or ever had it themselves? or am i just a freak.. lol.

any tips would be greatly appreciated
amouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:17 AM   #2  
~One Day At A Time~

S/C/G: 301.2/Ticker/250

Height: 5 6"

Mine does the same thing! Everytime I workout I itch like crazy. I itch all over my arms and the side of my face itches. I guess it's just sweat. I think for me it's a mixture between my sweat and the carpet fibers. Wierd I know. Apparently your not the only freak...I'm right with ya
ThisTimeIsDifferent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:28 AM   #3  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I feel like my skin starts to itch a little bit when I first begin to sweat, but it usually goes away when I sweat more heavily. I don't know how you would stop it, though.
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:10 AM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

My arms always itch. Sometimes I get a red rash on my arms and chest that goes away pretty quickly. Here's what I found out from medicinenet.com:

During exercise, histamines are released. Histamines are proteins involved in autoimmune responses like an allergic reaction to pollen or dust. People who are sensitive to histamines can experience rashes, itching, and other allergic symptoms during exercise just like you are describing. Most of the time, the rashes appear on the chest and thighs, but they can appear on the neck or arms, too. Sometimes exercise also reacts with food allergies or medications (for example, antibiotics, pain medications, sedatives, tranquilizers, and diuretics) to cause the problem. The problem typically occurs more in cold weather than warm.

If the problem bothers you so much that you can't stand it, or it's not resolving on its own, then you should ask your doctor about using a topical ointment to stop the itching, or taking an over-the-counter antihistamine like Benadryl 30-60 minutes before exercising. If over-the-counter antihistamines make you sleepy, your doctor can prescribe a non-sedating antihistamine. You should not take over-the-counter or prescription medications for this problem without speaking with your doctor.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #5  
Blue Team Member

thanks anne that explains alot i am someone who sufferes from allergies.. and this has only been bothering me this last week.. and guess what its winter here .. lol and the last week has been really cold.. at least it makes sense now
Old 06-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #6  
Midwesterner

Zyrtec seems to help me. I have mild seasonal allergies too.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:54 PM   #7  
ars
looking for onederland

S/C/G: 300/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Interesting! My arms sometimes get a little itchy too, and I've seen red patchy areas a few times that go away after a few hours.
ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I don't generally have allergies, but my arms, esp my inner arms itch during exercise sometimes. Interesting information posted. Maybe a benadryl would help before working out!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #9  
Getting some motivation!

Height: 5'6"

My skin feels all tingly after I exercise. I figure it is from increased blood flow, but what do I know? I guess one might describe it as itchy, also.
mitsubishigirl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #10  

honestly, i think it night be from the salt content of your sweat, which collects in skin folds, and where clothes are tightest
brownsugah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:52 PM   #11  
Midwesterner

I always thought it was the increased blood flow too, but sometimes I get little petechiae on my arms too. They're little red spots on the skin that look little tiny broken broken blood vessels. They do fade away eventually.

It's not in body creases and it happens with sleeveless shirts too. I think it's due to the histamine effect. Some people have exercise-induced asthma, which has similar origins.

Last edited by murphmitch; 06-22-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 260/154.6/130

Height: 5'4"

Wow. That is good to know because I thought I was the only one that itched, especially my scalp after a sweat drenched workout
Sarah Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:29 PM   #13  
Blue Team Member

yeah i get tingles too but this is scratch your skin till it bleeeds insane itch like a mossie bite you scratched.. all down my arm and on my legs.. im gonna try the zrytec i have some in the cupboard.

i wear a sleevless shirt to workout and its on the outer part of my arms so its not the clothes or chafin or anything

Last edited by amouse; 06-22-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:31 PM   #14  
FB

Huh. I was always told it was blood flow and capillaries. Who knew about this histamine thingy? A Benedryl would knock me out for hours.

It was terrible when I first started exercising. Crazy mad itchies. Now that I exercise regularly it hasn't happened in awhile... or I don't notice it anymore.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:41 PM   #15  
Midwesterner

I've used Benadryl for bedtime. It would make me too drowsy for exercise. Claritin or Zyrtec don't make me drowsy though & would probably be effective for this. I only have a problem when I'm running & exerting a lot, not walking, cycling or weight lifting though. Weird.