Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-17-2008, 12:36 PM   #1  

Default How do you Prevent Getting Calluses from Running?

So I've recently started running which is an amazing feat in and of itself considering how much I use to hate to run. My problem is that I've been getting calluses in the strangest spots on my feet...on the outer side of my big toe, on the tops of my little toes and in between my toes. Has anyone else gotten these before? How do I prevent them? I don't think it's my shoes since I just bought a new pair from a specialty running store that were fitted to my feet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I don't want this to derail my progress...Thanks!
Onsecondthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:51 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

It still might be the shoes. Calluses indicate that your shoes aren't fitting properly, or that yor running gait is off (putting unnecessary pressure on just one part of your foot. You may be leading with your toes (you should land heel first when running), slamming them into the front of your shoe. Try to pay attention to how your foot is landing when you run.

You can buy special "runner's socks", though, that have increased cushion at the toe. In general, people tend to do better with thicker socks, rather than thinner ones...better cushion and better friction prevention.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #3  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

I gotta say, it sounds like its the shoes. Remember that even the best fitter can get it wrong sometimes.

The callus on the outside of your big toe is usually a pretty good sign that you are over pronating, or rolling too much inward. The callus on top of your little toe could be due to the toe box not having enough height, or the shoe length being wrong which can cause the shoe to bend or "break" across the wrong spot - in this case your little toe. I'm really not sure about the callus's between your toes, other than maybe sweating and rubbing together? You could try foot powder or silicone (like the monistat anti-chafing gel) for that. Bundle your shoes up and go back to the running store. They should be able to help you diagnose the problem, and if it is bad shoe fit, exchange them for a better fitting shoe for you!

Good luck
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #4  

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, I can't return the shoes because I've had them for 2 months. I guess I'll just have to suck it up and buy another pair. The funny thing is that the shoes I bought were specifically designed for people who over pronate...go figure.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Are the shoes actually bothering you while running? Are you getting blisters in these spots? If not, then IMO it may not be the shoe... but I really don't know what it could be ... Maybe a talk with a foot doctor or podiatrist could answer some questions. I get pedicures to get rid of my accumulated calluses, I do have more since I've been running also but they are not bothersome but rather just not pretty ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/170/150

Height: 5ft 6in

I run 30 minutes a day on a treadmill, and I had exactly the same problem as you when I started. My solution was a different pair of shoes (New Balance worked for me) along with a good pair of runner's socks - the thicker kind. I had to go up half a size with the shoes to accommodate the socks. The problem is now 90% gone.

I was told that treadmill running is actually harder on your feet than running outside.

....deedee....
deedeesugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #7  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Can you have your shoes stretched? Most shoe-repair places should be able to do it and it costs very little, and the results are very good. When I brought a pair of shoes for stretching, I had a chat with the lady behind the counter (her husband does the fixing, she handles the money and the bills etc.) and since there was nobody else there, we ended up gabbing for about 15 minutes. She showed me a new pair of Prada shoes that somebody else dropped off (I think that was the first time I saw real Pradas, LOL) and they were from patent leather. I assumed that patent leather cannot be stretched, but she said it can be stretched just like regular regular leather. Most shoes can be stretched.
Granted, this would help only with the width, but it is worth a shot. It cost me only $11 and it was money well spent.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #8  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onsecondthought View Post
The funny thing is that the shoes I bought were specifically designed for people who over pronate...go figure.
Oh foo, well, so much for my theory! lol. maybe you could try a new insole (I'm trying to think of something cheaper than new shoes). Superfeet make these great insoles, and in the past I've had some luck pulling the insole out of my shoe and replacing it with superfeet. I like the green ones.

Good luck!
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #9  

Thanks for all the great responses! After reading mandalinn's post, I thought about how my feet feel when I run and I think she might have a point...I think I might slam my toes into the front of my shoes when I run. The shoes themselves don't bother me at all; actually they're really great. It's only after I've been running for a while that I the calluses start to bother me. I think part of the problem is that the shoes are a half size bigger than I normally wear...the bigger size gives me more room in the toebox so that
my toes aren't smushed, but it also gives me room to slide forward. To try to remedy that, when I was lacing up my shoes this morning for my run, I decided to tie my shoes extra tight to try and prevent my foot from slipping. Suprisingly, it somewhat worked. It didn't completely get rid of it, but I was able to run a bit longer before I felt the calluses. I think if I add the thicker running socks and the insoles, I might be able to get rid of the problem all together! Thanks again everyone! My feet are forever in your debt!