Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 06-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #1  
ProfessionalMisadventurer

S/C/G: 176/ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

Default Missing my Comfort Foods

I miss food!
I'm used to eating heavy foods, like nachos, potatoes, and looooots of cheese on everything. Even though I'm full right now, I can't help but crave these heavy, unhealthy foods!! What can I do to overcome these feelings?
moony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #2  
Changing for the better

I don't have any real "methods" for you, but I was the same way and I CAN tell you that it DOES get easier. After a month or so of eating healthier foods, your cravings for heavy, greasy, fat-laden foods definitely subside. For example, I used to eat cookies everyday with my lunch (and of course I thought I just HAD to have them), but after I simply stopped packing them, I realized weeks later that I didn't even miss them. You learn to choose quality over quantity - treating yourself to a small, but really good bowl of chocolate ice cream after a week of healthy eating and exercising will appeal to you more than having a donut every day for breakfast.

Also, when you cut back on your portion sizes, your body readjusts and learn what feels "full." And you should never feel stuffed, just satisfied. Trust me, a large helping of nachos and cheese feels like a rock in your stomach compared to a yummy salad with lowfat cheese on top!!

I know it's hard right now, but if you hang in there it will be worth it, I promise
Kitegirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #3  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Moony, nachos are my fave.
But being slimmer feels better than eating nachos.
It takes six weeks to change your taste buds over. Hang in there! I know just how hard it is. As I said...my FAVE
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:10 PM   #4  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Cheese isn't necessarily unhealthy -- if you watch how much you have of it, you can definitely still have some. Same with the other stuff you listed. The good thing ab cheese in particular is that it probably won't lead to you binging on it if you have a little bit, since it contains a lot of fat/protein.

I mean, what is better than a mozzarella, basil and tomato salad, I ask you? Nothing, that's what
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 315/156/135

Height: 5'7"

I eat nachos, potatoes, and cheese. I just eat better versions and watch portion control. I love 12 Baked Tortilla Chips with 4 oz extra lean ground beef, 1/3 cup of shredded cheese, a scoop of low fat sour cream, black olives, jalepenos, and taco sace. I do WW and it's 9 POINTS for that. That fits into the plan easily. I think that finding a plan that works with your likes and dislikes will help you to be successful in taking the weight off, and, more importantly, keeping it off. Good Luck!
Mom2QJandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 166.5/135/120

Height: 5'8"

Think about how long you have to exercise to burn that stuff off and of all the goals you want to reach. When you think about it or are confronted by it just ask yourself is this helping me reach my goal. If the answer is no then it's not worth it. I also like to picture a lump of fat on a plate in place of the food. then chew some gum
FlabulessPhyllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #7  

Some people seem to be able to satisfy the cravings with much lower calories versions of the food (stuff like you see on hungrygirl.com) Others just have to abstain from the stuff we binge/overeat on till the cravings subside, while trying to eat good whole foods. Whenever I start obscessing on a food and decide to "splurge" it is never as good as my fantasies about it. Maybe try both ways and see how your body reacts. For me, the longer I do not eat the heavy stuff, the more such a "splurge" makes me crave things like salads and vegetable based soups.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote