Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #1  
Mel

Default Lift and Chat: June 15 - 30, 2008

Starting early...I really do know what day it is!

I'm leaving in a few minutes for 10 days of fun, fun fun! 5 days of a work related training course, then a visit with Meg, then on to help my dd move. I've got my stretchy bands packed, running shoes, and a body bar. Also (although it seemed crazy), the good dress that I have to wear in 13 days. I figure trying it on every night should keep me on the straight and narrow!

I hope to have internet access, but if not, have a GREAT WEEK!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #2  
Meg

In the meantime, everyone can help me plan Friday night dinner for Mel. Shall we be s or s?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #3  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Meg, you already know the answer to that. If Mel is bringing her dress along to try on every night I have a feeling you would have to force feed her something that is not in her planned food for the day. Have fun!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

DEVILS! And we want photographic proof!

Lydia, to your last post on the previous thread, I took the dd's to see KFPanda today too. Well, DH was a real trooper and took the dd's to see KFP while I skipped down the hall to see Sex and the City. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! If you liked the series you will not be disappointed. But it's a don't wear makeup/bring tissues kind of show, but well worth every tear. ANyone else seen it?

Afterward we took the girls to the cheesecake factory to get a slice each. It's new so they wanted to see it and it's adjacent to the theatre, conveniently. I don't really care for the food there, so it was fine with me that they had a long wait.

Still feeling well, still drinking lemon and water. Today's the one month date since the symptoms started from the last stone, and I had it out 2 weeks later. I realized the whole thing only last three weeks, but i have a new compassion for people in constant pain and illness. Unrelenting pain really does wipe you out. Glad it's over!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:30 AM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Hi! No little kids wanting to see KFP here - thank goodness! I do want to see Sex and The City though. DH has gone fishing for a couple days, but not a convenient time for me - evening meetings. Sigh. I suppose, like most everything else, I'll end up seeing it on DVD. I also want to see Indiana Jones, and the special effects are so much better on the theatre screen.

Have fun Mel! I hope never to move again!

Lydia- sounds like a great workout day!

Weather reverted to cool and showery Friday night, and has had no change since. I can see the grass growing, but it's too wet to mow. At least some of our veggie seeds are sprouting.

Well, being on my own means I stay up later than I should. I'd better get to bed or I'll never be up at 5:30.....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Morning!

Pictures Meg and Mel! Pictures!

I'm on the hunt for a three day split, this morning. I'm working evenings this week so I'll be going to the gym without DH. I'd like to try a three day split with cardio after (each day). A change up for fun.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:42 AM   #7  

Pat, I agree, I haven't been to see a movie in 10 years, since before my oldest came along, but SATC was one I thought deserved to be seen on the big screen. As a treat, I found out theatres here offer below-matinee pricing on the first shows on Fri, Sat/Sun, so I got in for $6. I refuse to pay full retail rate, but now that I know how cheap it is, I plan to go see Mamma Mia this summer as well as the Nicholas Sparks movie coming out about the Outer Banks. Both of the previews were full of beautiful ocean scenery that just filled up the screen. I'm getting the book from the library to read before the movie release, which will probably ruin it for me, but maybe not.

Took a couple of bites of the cheesecake last nite. Paid for it between 2-3 this morning. UGH! Now I'm all sleepy and tired.

Last edited by sportmom; 06-16-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 252/238/180

Height: tall enough to know what's on top of your refrigerator

Default just chickin' in....

Hi everyone!

Mel & Meg - hope you have a wonderful visit together!

Sportmom - glad you are feeling better. Chronic pain is a BFB - big fat bummer. I am just getting back into the swing of things after a back injury. It took too long, which is why I joined a gym with a huge pool. No excuses!

Jamsk8r - are you a roller-derby girl?

Mel, to answer your question - I don't know! I'm so embarrassed, you all are so huge (like Hans und Frans) and knowledgeable and I don't know! I am, however, going to pay for a training session and learn ALL of the machines at the gym. It's a university gym, and the athletes work out there, too, so they have pretty much one of everything. Except a steam room......

The leg press I use is not an incline press - it's really just horizontal. Some days I can do 310 but last week 255 was the number. I think I'm going to switch it up a bit and try the incline until I can get that trainer to teach me the weight room cages. Some of them are FreeMotion but there's some other mystery equipment, too.

Interesting article on knees in the Denver Post Fitness section today. I tried to post the link but it won't let me!

And check out my new avatar! I had to work hard for that. The weight is starting to come down, my clothes are fitting better, but really the biggest change is that everything seems so much easier than it used to! I love weight training!

Last edited by denvertechchick; 06-16-2008 at 10:44 AM.
denvertechchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #9  
No description available.

Hi Meg and Mel! Have a good time! I agree: pictures!

I'm glad you're feeling better, Sportmom.

Hey Denver, congrats on the 10 pounds!

Hi Susan, Pat & Lydia!

I wrote a novel in the maintainers forum about my trip to Vegas, but one thing I wanted to share that I didn't put in that post came from a speaker on teens and PCOS.

She said that as part of weight management for these girls, we should recommend weight-lifting as it will build both physical and emotional strength.
Yea!!!!

Have a good one!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #10  
Kallos Sthenos

Hi Everyone

Wow. Busy day today. I had an awesome workout today. I really need to remember to lift first. It makes such a difference. Today I was able to add an additional ten pounds to my squat today. It was the first exercise I did after warm up and wow. What a difference. I really think I could have loaded thirty on each side but because that would be a new weight for me even preinjury I didn't want to be overzealous about it. Maybe in a couple of weeks. Anyway, needless to say I was pleased and excited about marking that one in my book. Too bad my pen ran out of ink. Wouldn't ya know. I also went up to thirty pound dumbbells with my deadlifts today too. Another new first. I'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow. I wanted to get in 45 minutes of cardio this morning but DS1 was shadowing me on the cardio equipment and after 15 minutes each on two different machines he was cooked.

Meg and Mel: Have a great time and please get photos. We could soon start a scrapbook here.

Fran: Glad you got to sneak away to see a grownup movie. It was playing right across the hall in our theatre too. I thought about it but decided against it. I didn't really didn't follow the series so there wasn't a burning desire just more curiosity.

Denver: Congratulation! All that hard work does pay off. More ways than one of course. Good luck with your training sessions and make certain that you also let them know you are interested in squatting with a freebar. Let us know how it goes.

Midwife: I'll have to look for your novel. Nice quote from your lecturer.

I have to make this a quick post. DS2 needs a playmate. NOW.

Have a great afternoon.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:39 PM   #11  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Happy Monday Everyone!

I am back and hopefully here to stay. I finally finished my accounting designation with a presentation on Saturday morning. I don't find out the results of the final report & presentation until August but I'm hoping for the best and I'm going to try to relax until then.

This weekend was just crazy busy with lots of Fathers' Day activities so I didn't get to relax and I did get eat too much (if it's Monday, I must be fat ) but it's all back to normal toay. I managed a run at lunch which was great and I need to get back to some more regular lifting. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Lydia - what plan are you following these days? I can't remember if you ever got on the NROLW bandwagon? Without a plan and having things written down, I tend to just spin around at the gym and not make the best use of my time.

Fran - you didn't say if you liked SATC! The reviews were mixed but my friends that have seen it (without me, stupid accounting work ) loved it. I'm hoping my DH will take pity on me and we'll enjoy a nice double bill of SATC and Indiana Jones. Seems fair right?

Hi to everyone....I hope to be visiting more often from now on.

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #12  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Hi all!

Depalma, thanks for all the "helpful" alternatives to the back squat. (drat! )

It will still be a few days or maybe a week, I'm guessing, before I can grip normally with that hand, but I think it's knit up well enough now that I can get the old heart pumping (faster) without worrying about it.

Lydia, no stitches, that's why I had to baby it for a few days to keep it closed. Great idea on the scrapbook. A sticky with photos would be great inspiration for us newbs who still can't see our muscles, besides just putting faces (and muscles) to names on this board. You could start with posting the shots you and Mel took...

Mel and Meg, have a great visit! Is there a workout involved? If so, we'll need pictures of the buffness, of course!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:47 AM   #13  
Kallos Sthenos

Hi Elisa I'm so glad that things are shifting back to a calmer pace for you. Congratulations upon the completion of your project. I'm not so sure I could relax for two months while awaiting results but maybe that's where the yoga comes in.

As far as workout plan, I am really doing my own thing. I have the NROLW which I have read extensively. I refer to it for exercise ideas but I am not following the plan as written. I do think it is a wonderful guide to women weightlifting. However during my workouts I felt that I needed to add or adjust the plan in order to feel the level of exertion I was doing. I probably just need to stick with it long enough to get beyond the first stage and I would feel differently about it. Honestly though if it were too difficult I would be balking that it was burning me out and I wouldn't complete the program for that reason. It's a fine line and that's why I have to make the adjustments for myself each workout.

It does help to have a plan in place when you walk into the gym to keep from spinning in circles. That happens to me too. I have a couple of programs in my notebook that guide me if I should sense this coming on. In the beginning it was useful because I wasn't aware of the all the exercise and equipment options. Currently it helps me to stay focused so that I don't feel overwhelmed by all the options I'm becoming aware of during my workouts.

Anyway, good to see you back. And enjoy your new found quiet time.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:45 AM   #14  

Oh sorry Elisa, yes, I LOVED SATC!!!! All 2 hrs 15 minutes of it! WIth all the previews, I was in the theater for 2 hrs and 45 minutes! NEver looked at my watch once.

OK, so apparently "easing" back into exercise after surgery did not mean doing a cardio session and a fbwo session in the same day. DOH! At least I did spread the 2 workouts out by 6 hrs and 2 meals. It could be worse, at least I CAN go down the stairs and sit down. But I also started feeling virally-type "icky" in the middle of my fbwo yesterday and by bedtime had a fever that burned all nite, sore throat and muscle aches. So that could be making things much worse than they would be otherwise. Nice......cardio, fbwo, achey virus combination.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #15  
Mel

Hi very short post from lovely Bucknell.

I'm in classes ALL day, but have managed to get to the university gym early in the am for cardio and lifting at night. I'll have to post a picture of the weight room; I think they last bought equipment in 1962! The dumbbells are old and rusty, the cable cross over is immobile, the benches are...gross. I'm unreasonably certain this is NOT the athletes' gym

Last night I did a chest and back workout surrounded by 19 yr old guys doing way too heavy bench presses with appalling (and dangerous) form. They stared at me sideways.

Food is tough, but I'm on plan. I didn't bring the dress, but I'm not forgetting about it!

I have internet connection problems, so can only get on at the libarary sporadically. No email either!

Have a food one!
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote