Old 06-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #1  
Taking It Back

S/C/G: 199.8/189.2/134.2

Height: 5'6.2"

Cool Calorie Calculator

I need a good site or formula to figure out the approximate calories I should take in a day. I realize it is pretty approximate, but I need a general guideline. I get very frustrated because it varies 200-500 calories depending on the site. That is a whole meal. So if I go by one, I could be overeating or undereating. This one I was looking at today (http://www.inch-aweigh.com/dcn.php) said,

"You need about 720 calories during a typical day to maintain your current weight.
Remember that this estimate is based on your body weight, height, age, gender, and your average level of activity.

Want to lose weight?
If you subtract 750 from this figure and consume that amount each day, you should lose one to two pounds a week, as long as you maintain your current activity level and follow a balanced diet.
"

So, if i would go by that, they are basically telling me not to eat anything at all! I want to do this right. I am going to work hard and be careful. But, if I am doing this based all around the wrong numbers and gain or maintain or even just do not lose as much as I would have, it is really frustrating. Please advise.

Last edited by Nadia; 06-14-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

That site is crazy, I put in my current weight of 120 and got the same answer that you did, I then put in my starting weight of 204 and still got the same answer, 720 calories is not enuf for anybody, I started at 204 and ate between 1200 and 1400 calories a day. It takes a little trial and error to find the right amount. Do not go below 1200 calories. Have you tried googling healthy weights ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225

Height: 5'6"

Nadia,
There is something wrong with the site you used. I went there also and no matter what I put in for activity level, it told me that I also needed 720 calories per day. I like the site caloriesperhour.com. It has lots of advice on diets, calorie counting and helps you to calculate calories burned during exercise. I have found it to have a lot of useful information. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Susan
susaninohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:09 PM   #4  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

This Sticky has tons of good info - including this
Quote:
How much you weigh: The more you weigh, the more calories you use per day. Think about it-if a 250 pound woman, and a 150 pound woman walk a mile together, the woman carrying 100 extra pounds of resistance with her is having to work much harder-and this is true walking stairs, and doing all of the everyday activities. So, your starting weight will have a lot to do with your starting calorie level.

Here is a good starting guide for you to begin self testing your personal calorie needs:

Over 300 pounds: Start at around 2000 calories a day.

Over 200 pounds: Start at around 1800 calories a day.

151-199 pounds: Start at around 1600 per day.

150 pounds or less: Start at around 1500 a day.

To find out your personal calorie level for weight loss, you simply find your starting point, and weigh in. Try the calorie level above for a week, and weigh in again. If you have weight loss of 1-3 pounds, then you are on the right track. If you show no loss at all, then drop it down by 100 calories a day, and see what happens the next week. On the other hand, if you show a huge loss-then you would probably be better off adding 100 calories a day to that level. And so on and so forth...

As you lose weight, your calorie needs will change. You might lose just fine for the first 2 months at 1600 calories a day. 20 pounds down the path, the weight loss stops. You don't lose anything for a couple of weeks. This is when it is time to go to the next level. Drop your calories down by 100 to 1500 to get things moving again.
The site in the OP is insanity. You should never be going below 1200 calories a day for any sustained perid no matter your size - it's just too hard to get enough nutrients to fuel your body.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Go on Google and look up: Resting Metabolic Rate. It will give you a calculator that is very easy to use. That way, you'll know how many calories your body requires if you stay in bed all day. If you eat that amount and add exercise, you will create a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

I have used a variety of sites and through trial and error found what works best for me. I would suggest:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I would recommend selecting BMR to find out calories before exercise. Just a a point of reference. I am 174, 5'6" and exercise about 4 days per week and I average about 1550 calories

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:45 AM   #7  
Taking It Back

Thanks for the links and ideas. I am still confused, though, and can never tell by the scale, on one thing. For example, one site says,
"Maintenance:
1890 Calories/day
Fat Loss:
1512 Calories/day
Extreme Fat Loss:
1440 Calories/day"

So, does that mean to aim between 1440 and 1512, but not go over 1512 and not under 1440? I guess I am afraid that I will eat too few calories. I do not have much of an appetite most of the time and would hate to gain or not lose because of not eating.

Also, can someone explain sodium to me? Like, what is a good range for the day, and is it more than just salt?

Last edited by Nadia; 07-14-2008 at 02:45 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

My best advise would be to not obsess over the numbers. It seems like you want an absolute and I have to tell you that you're just not going to get that. Among all the other factors involved, is that eveyrone's metabolism is different and you just have to pick a starting point and see where that gets you.

If the one site gave you 1512 to 1440, then I'd say start at 1500 and see where that gets you after 3 or 4 weeks. You may find yourself losing steadily at that level, or you may find that you have to drop another 100 calories.

You will also find that your body gets used to a certain calorie level, so afer a while, you may have to change it up a bit just to get things back on track.

Don't fret so much about the numbers. Just jump in and start somehwere and see where that gets you.

As far as sodium, the conventional wisdom is that you shouldn't exceed around 2400mg per day. And yes, it' smore than just salt in the sense of what you sprinkle on your food. Sodium is an ingredient in a lot of packaged foods and you want to try to keep an eye on it even when you're not directly salting your food.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #9  
Taking It Back

Thank you, photo. I have been counting my calories for a month now, I am just not finding much impact on my weight either way. I guess I was hoping if I counted, that it would be a guarantee that a month would bring weight loss and then anything I added to it (mostly exercise) would increase that. Oh well. Thanks for the sodium information. =)