Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:53 AM   #1  
oea

S/C/G: 203/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

Default the mental game

It's all a mental game, isn't it? I think I sabotage myself all the time and I'm not sure why. The easiest thing for me to do would be to count calories, which I started again, but every time I do, I start binging. Yesterday it was a million skinny cow ice cream sandwiches. But if I don't count calories, I can't really know what I'm eating. It's like a mind game my brain won't let me win. Weight Watchers would be the same b/c it's still keeping track of a number that I can easily binge myself beyond.

Has anyone had any success with a method that kind of 'tricks' the brain or avoids triggers such as limits, etc?

Thanks!
oea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 248/230/160

Height: 5'9"

I haven't really "tricked" the brain per say, but I do some behaviour modification stuff. For example, I try to reward myself everyday for staying on plan with something non food related, but costs the same amount of money as the food I was wanting, for example buying flowers or doing a pedicure. Those little rewards help me stay motivated.

I hear you on the binging as soon as you are starting to count calories. I used to do that too. Something weird about a number being an incentive to binge. Now I count calories everyday and it is working. I think, for me, I needed to get at the bottom of why I wanted to binge and why I wanted to essentially sabotage my own efforts.

I had to take an honest look at what exactly was so advantageous about being at an unhealthy weight that I was choosing to destroy my own personal efforts to have the body I was wishing for. I still have this in the back of my mind, but some of the reasons were 1) I didn't want all the people who were so cruel to me about my weight to be 'right', 2) I have made a lot of friends while being this weight, in the past, every time I would lose a little here or there I was made to feel like a bad person (you will find people have a really hard time with any little change).

Those are just some of my hang ups. Now that I am discovering those and I am aware of what happens around me and within me when I lose weight, it is easier to put those hang ups aside and concentrate on doing what I deserve. Maybe if you too journey within yourself by reading many of the forums here on 3FC or seeking out counseling than you can get to the bottom of why you are doing this.
I wish you well!
Sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:29 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 166/163/120

Height: 5'3"

Hi oea,

So are you saying that the calorie counting itself is a trigger? If you don't count calories, does the binging stop or change somehow?

I do agree that you can easily sabotage yourself, and it's hard to figure out why that should happen with something you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to do (like losing weight). The brain is a very complicated thing, and it seems hard to trick it !

Last edited by wistfulgirl; 06-13-2008 at 11:30 AM.
wistfulgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #4  
Feelin good in my skin

Height: 5'9"

OEA! I completely know what you are talking about. I too used to do WW and found that I felt trapped by the points and felt guilty if I went over my 20 points. Then I tried calorie counting but found that all I thought about was how much can I eat and still stay within my calorie range... All the while gaining weight...

Then I discovered SOUTH BEACH!!! South Beach changed my focus from what and how much I was eating to focusing on "when am I satisfied/full". Also controlling my sugar intake has removed cravings and binging! I feel like the diet and food choices work with me and not against me. Eating protein and complex carbs keeps me fuller longer. I still keep calories in mind and track on Fit Day, but I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. Instead of stopping because the diet "said so"...

I thought at first I would not be able to live without crackers and simple carbs... but there are a lot of treats you can eat and still be "ON PLAN"... This diet works for me!! Check it out and hopefully it will put YOU back in control instead of the DIET being in control.

Last edited by Marathon Mom; 06-13-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #5  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I know what youre saying about calorie counting not being "enough" to keep you from binging. Maybe it has to do with the KINDS of foods you are eating, even if the calories are within range.

Speaking personality, I know eating very sugary, carb-y (even whole wheat, 7-grain) stuff, even if I eat a small amount and it's within a decent calorie range, sets me up for an eventual binge. My body gets addicted to these substances. So I've replaced carbs (not entirely, of course) with protein and fat and try to limit carbs to low-sugar fruit and vegetable sources as much as possible. That has got my binging and my desire to binge and my constant feeling of "hunger" and food obsession under control.

So maybe check WHAT you're eating... if you can't eat 1 icecream bar (even if low-cal, low-fat one) without feeling like you need to eat 30, don't eat ANY. Good luck!
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:24 PM   #6  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

How many calories were you aiming for?
For me, if I try to restrict my calories too much it will lead to eating too much. Make sure you set your calorie limit at something that is reasonable for you, which is probably at least 1500.
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:06 PM   #7  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I just wanted to let you know what helps me sometimes (since nothing seems to help all the time). Instead of counting calories, what about just writing down every thing that goes in your mouth? That way, you're not being controlled by some number....you are in control. Does that make sense? Ok, as crazy as it sounds, I sometimes like to write the item I'm going to eat before I eat it...that way, I feel even more in control. It's very odd, but I thought I'd mention it in case it has any chance of helping you too.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Hi oea!

I know exactly how you feel - but, I gotta say, at least for me, Weight Watchers is much different than counting calories. I tried counting calories, well, countless times - but I've found success with Weight Watchers, even though I felt exactly like you before doing it. I guess it's just the structure & support that I like - and the fact that I can still eat anything I want, just in small portions, lol. When I counted calories I felt so restricted, which made me binge like a crazy-woman. I've still had binges doing WW, but because I'm writing everything down, I'm seeing patterns that I never saw before and that's helped me not give in (as much) to all the cravings.

Anywho, I honestly am not trying to sway your mind to WW, but don't throw in the towel yet. I've been surprised at how well I've done on WW - I have zero willpower & not much past success to build my confidence, but here I am, two & a half months (and 23 lbs) later!

People who eat like us are food addicted. Addictions are so difficult to overcome, but you CAN do it. You CAN!! You just have to find the right way for you, which means you can't give up until you find it!
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:37 PM   #9  
oea

S/C/G: 203/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

Thank you so much everyone! It is so great to find a place where there are people who know exactly what life is like for me! The suggestions are great... I need to keep trying to find what works for me and not give up because I messed up a day or a week or whatever. I'll work on telling myself that over and over until it finally sticks in my brain.
oea is offline   Reply With Quote